Sign in to follow this  
Acecube

Realistic sniping

In the course of making a couple of high quality rifle addons. I again approached the scope and reticle issue. I actually started this work back when the HK-pack was in development. Next to doing some consulting for Vipersheart I was messing around with some screenshots measureing a lot of things to make a proper reticle texture.

Recently I started making addons myself. And now there it is:

A "NightForce" â„¢ scope with the NF-Mil-Dot tactical reticle in correct shape, aspect and scale.

For those who are not into real-life marksmanship:

Most reticles but epecially the mil dot reticles are not only used for targeting but also for ranging the target (which is determining the distance to a target of known size) to compensate for bullet drop and wind (the latter can unfortunately not be measured in ofp)

The upcoming addon(s) (The Blaser 93LRS see this thread) will feature such a scope plus some detailed information of how to use it. If can complete the task I will try to supply a "shooting range mission" where it's use can be practised.

I know the screenshot below is not realy spectacular on the first look but believe me it sure as hell was a huge lot of work to do the measureing and the calculations.

On the screen below you can see the red and green targets which I especially made for measureing.

012420033372345.jpg

pic not working sad.gif ... but amazing to know, that someone started to work this out properly ...

looking forward,

harry

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CrunchyFrog @ Jan. 26 2003,17:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">From Hubbas M24 with Mildot scope, something like that you had in mind?<span id='postcolor'>

Is that a fixed maginfication scope? What is the center's range and how many meters -/+ is each vertical dot?

I take it the horizontal axis is irrelevant in OFP?

The picture is on imgstudio.com and they seem to be down every once in while. I don't know if its possible to upload it to the forum directly!?

@theavonlady

The reticle I made works with 3 different fixed magnification steps. They are exactly calculated each. This way you can choose your range of view AND exactly range your target. There's no point in setting up a mil dot reticle on a variable zoom scope if you can't read the zoom power to accurately "mil" your target.

The distance between the dots on the lines of this reticles is 1mil

1 mil(milliradian 6400=360°) = 3,5moa(MinutesOfAngle) => 105mm @100meters

As you can see It's quite a "science". But it's fun as this is about the real brainwork a Sniper has to do.

I got stuck with the red colour of my reticle because it turns black at night. It is supposed to stay bright red like the XMS-red-dot. Anyone know how to get this right?

of cause magnification has to be fixed ... as far as i know, marines are using 10x fixed ... army is using 5x and 8x fixed ...

and: they are using different scopes (marines oval mil-dots with different sizes, army like in crunchyfrogs screenshot) with different mil-calculation ...

i've got more information on that, but i have to look for it ...

@ usmc: im not an expert, but i dont think so ... and actually for the realism theres no need to ... wink.gif

If it was possible there'd be two nice things:

- script controlled zeroing. so you can swich your distanceZoomMin and Max (from the .cpp) from let's say 300m to 600m and 800m or something like this

- displayin zoom level on screen

The modern scopes not only zoom but also scale the reticle accordingly but no way to have this in ofp.

ace ?  'script controlled zero' -- that's usually proccesed by the old grey matter..

Nothing wrong with the mildot system shown, save....?... why does every pic shown of it on various rifles  ALWAYS show it zoomed, dead center, head on middle dot, unadjusted? Hmmm, those other dots just for decoration? Or does OFP REALLY map them to 1 mil(milliradian 6400=360°) = 3,5moa(MinutesOfAngle) => 105mm @100meters. I hear those cows Mooing after too many Weetabix again (and they had a full diet of orange peel the night before....

By the by -the 'real brainwork' doesn't measure distance & BTT by science it's pure instinct (as anyone who has ever aimed a rifle, even those who aren;t all 'professionals' will tell you, and as programs go OFP beats any I've seen, esp the 'tom clancy' types.

Shooting - Fullbore Rifle Queens Prize 2002- Open (Pair)

#     Name     Country   Result (points)  

Gold          Northern Ireland   590.86  

Silver          South Africa   589.85  

Bronze          England   588.84  

says it all......

Additional;

if you want to quote the orginal 'rifle etiquette', listen to Messer Priv.Presely; (laughing my guts out)

Wise men say,

only fools rush in, (softy softy killy monkey)

but' I can't help falling in love with you (take time to study the latrine habits of your new 'best friend'wink.gif

Shall I stay,

would it be a sin? (possibly, but make it to Mass early enough and you can still enjoy heaven)

, if I can't help falling in love with you, (yes , I see, ever day at that hour he picks his nose off the Bogside)

like a river flows , surely to the sea, (surely lke a bullet to it's nasal focus)

darling so it goes,

somethings are meant to be,

take my hand , take my whole life too, (take his headshot instead),

somethings are meant to be.....

listen to presley ;- at least he gets the breathing right- slow, steady & methodical

Any progress on this AceCube? 'cause the mil-dot scope on Hubba's M24, if no-one else noticed, isn't the best for realistic sniping: look at spacing of the horizontal dots, esp. the two closest to center...

Acecube. Excellent work. Its nice to finally see someone start taking interest into making a proper Mil-dot sight. =)

AvonLady. It was almost a year since i released that but i think it was zeroed at 500 meters. And it was set according to the M24 SWS manual so a standing man took up 2.5 mil's or something.

Liquid. That is odd. The image should be symetrical so the offset in the horizontal axis is puzzling.

Crunchy. Thanx for remembering me smile.gif

/[FILO]HuBBa

(who is thinking of getting back into OFP addonmaking)

Now the reticle itself is finished BUT I got realy pissed off with two things. At 22x magnification I can only zero it to approx. 600meters anything above doesn't work (bullet drops under zero though target beeing closer than zeroing distance).

Second prob is that I realy want to provide a bullet trajectory table for the 3 magn. steps and zeroings(shown in the black mask of the reticle) so the user of the addon can range it's target calculate the bullet drop refering to the magnification(and the zeroing). THIS ALL works out ONLY if I know the BIS-OFP-bullet-drop modell. Maybe someone knows how it's implemented (is there air friction calculated in the trajectory?) SUMA HELP, PLEASE.

I allready tryed measureing bullet drop with small selfmade (10cm) popper targets stacked over each other. This doesn't go well because these small targets will not be displayed on bigger distances (>500meters) and I would have to make too many tests to figure out the OFP-ballistic-system.

After I did the edit .cpp, save, compress .pbo, copy to addons folder, start OFP, test shoot circle for about 250 times I decided to temporarily continue with another model (a customized Ruger Mini14 with all possible expencive acceories attached to it) smile.gif

This one will be out sooner I guess because I now know everything I need for makeing it.

P.S.: can anybody tell me how to upload pictures to the thread without useing a free host like imgstudio? cuz they're unavailable every once in a while.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acecube @ Jan. 30 2003,09:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">P.S.: can anybody tell me how to upload pictures to the thread without useing a free host like imgstudio? cuz they're unavailable every once in a while.<span id='postcolor'>

Just share your C: drive with the Internet. tounge.gif

wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acecube @ Jan. 24 2003,10wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">012420033372345.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

Thats sweet looking

Well, all here is in English, I am not native speaker of this language, so I may not understand all but...

there is one optic sight, well known optics sight, PSO-1 from SVD. It`s reticle is also well known, it has horizontal scale (mils?), it has four aiming points looking like V upside down, it has primitive but usefull rangefinder. Only "bug" in OFP- it has x8 magnification, although it would has x4.

Is it any possibility to make it real sight? First easy convert it for x4. Then make simulation for using two aiming drums, knobs of deflection correction and of sight angles. So when we would find our target we start eliminating with finding range. Then proceeding with aiming, using two knobs` scripts (one if target is not moving).

Information about SVDs` PSO-1: http://www.gunmanuals.ch/manuals01.htm

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Liquid_Silence @ Feb. 02 2003,14:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Update?

Please ? confused.gif ?<span id='postcolor'>

Unfortunately I still have no further informations on OFP-ballistics. I opened this thread for the topic. But the Mini14 looks CUTE allready smile.gif