Sign in to follow this  
CryptEarth

So, I gave it a try ...

... and failed hard. I followed this atlas tutorial - and got it so far that at least within bulldozer I've seen some working stuff. I had a lot of errors, some stuff just went missing years ago (from what I've read thet MapConfigEditor.bat was screwed up - never fixed - and seem to got removed) and in the end after I had packed it as pbo and tried to launch it arma just failed with some pretty hard low level errors ...

TLDR: creating a new map from scratch is just ridiculously overcomplicated - respect to all those who are able to get it working

All this nonesense with the P drive, have to extract the game files instead of just have the engine access it, forced to somehow generate the basic 3d map via an external tool - how the hell BI itself did their development with this pile of crap? I guess I'll never find out if the engine is actually able to load a map with the full map size of -50km to +500km squared - a size just a bit smaller than what's needed to fit germany in it - I just want to recreated a simple version of my hometown.

Why anthing related to ArmA3 has to be so damn hard to get done? The games single player campaign is extreme hard even when played on the easiest difficulty setting, scripting in this weird SQF language is unlike anything else I've ever seen in other languages - and no useful 3d map editor to create maps from scratch.

Ok, yes, I know that it pretents to be realistic - but c'mon - don't make creating content for it a life-time challenge. Sadly, the game is pretty dead already - and those who still play are either "veterans" or "rpg fun" communities around AltisLife, Epoch and Exile - and a few others ...

I'm actually surprised that it had an official "modding" API (although pretty basic and limited) so things like TaskForceRadio or extDB were even possible in the first place. And although both just only exchange strings and the heavy lifting is done in the external "extension" imagine this API had never existed. DayZ would had never been possible - king of the hill may would had never been a thing and may never had started this whole battle royal hype train ...

Please - if there will ever be an Arma4 - let it have a "casual" option ...

Well, after some google'ing around I did found a away to import some real-world data into terrain builder without using l3dt:

There's this site called opentopography - which allows to export map data as "arc ascii grid" - which terrain builder is able to import as terrain. The issue is that terrain builder seem to have problems importing a map with a 23MB data file for the area of 10.5 E to 13.5 E and 51.3 N to 53 N - an area of about 40km2.

So, the question still stands: How was BI able to develop A3 in 2012/2013 with even crappier versions of these tools when I'm today not able to import a file that's just about 1/5th of Altis?

After spending several weeks to try to get into modding I'm about to ditch it ... nothin works (terrain builder keeps "hanging" and crashing for no reason while loading or saving data) and is way to overcomplicated (c'mon - even minecraft mods just used lua) ... it'S not even worth to even try to get into this scene.

TB has no issues with 23mb files, mines 100mb+

Follow this guide https://pmc.editing.wiki/doku.php?id=arma3:terrain:ultimate-terrain-tutorial

Don't skip this bit https://pmc.editing.wiki/doku.php?id=arma3:tools:setup-p-drive

All the issues you have had are well documented on here and the Discord.

As for BI making maps, they use Buldozer just like us, they don't have some special tool they keeping hidden