the_one_and_only_Venator

Proxy Magazines (improvement suggestion)

Dear Developers,

the introduction of proxy magazines was a great addition to the game. It finally allows to load weapons with visually diffrent magazines.

This introduced great possibilities for addon makers as well. You can now combine diffrent weapon and magazine models so e.g. an AKM with a 5.45x39 mag from the AKS makes an okay AK-74 without having to add new model files to the game. It also makes the AK-12 chambered in 5.45x39mm possible.

But this is also where it might be possible to improve on it.

The magazines use a point of reference where they are attached to the weapon. This point currently is the end of the magazine well on the weapon. Because of the weapons being quite dirrfent in regards to their mag wells this results in very diffrent locations of the reference point on the magazine, especially regarding the height.

Spoiler

B175E2F84CE966541F9CCB04A8610A965CB97467

Because of that it is quite impossible to do some rechambers of weapons using vanilla magazines. If e.g. I would want to rechamber an AK for 5.56x45 the magazine would stick out of the top of the weapon because of the ak's mag well being well shorter.

Spoiler

DF0EEC23D523F22B3340D4086988242E4F4A5FA4

This issue gets even worse with some other weapons:

664BBDAC7AC7BFE05F5F5EA1EE3EFF681EEA0CA8

The sollution to this problem is imho quite doable:

Moving the refenrence point away from the mag well and to the forward top end of the magazines where the round gets fed into the weapon. Like it already currently is on the AK mags. That way every magazine would sit on a realistic height due to the round being fed on the same position for all variants and all calibers.

This of course would require reworking some of the models to a minimal degree, namely moving that reference point.

This would make this great feature even better and more usable for addon makers.

Thanks in advance

David / Venator

P.S.: It would also be nice to have proxy mags on the Rahim. Since it is the only weapon using its mag there should be no clipping issues. I'm also dreaming of proxy mags for SPAR-17 and MK-I but that might be hard to do and harm cross compatibility of the mags...

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, the_one_and_only_Venator said:

This of course would require reworking some of the models to a minimal degree, namely moving that reference point. 

This would require moving all magazines p3ds, then moving proxies in all LODs on all weapons and would also break ton of mods 😉

22 hours ago, the_one_and_only_Venator said:

This introduced great possibilities for addon makers as well. You can now combine diffrent weapon and magazine models so e.g. an AKM with a 5.45x39 mag from the AKS makes an okay AK-74 without having to add new model files to the game. It also makes the AK-12 chambered in 5.45x39mm possible.

But this is also where it might be possible to improve on it.

This is how currently magazine proxies are setup - due to way how they are setup it's much easier to achieve cross compatibility between mods when its used on same weapon. What you are suggesting could end up in magazines being in different places on M4 from different addon makers due to scale they are using.

obraz.thumb.png.8f3fab825f97cd063e77f83decb0754c.png

9 hours ago, reyhard said:

This would require moving all magazines p3ds, then moving proxies in all LODs on all weapons and would also break ton of mods 😉

This is how currently magazine proxies are setup - due to way how they are setup it's much easier to achieve cross compatibility between mods when its used on same weapon. What you are suggesting could end up in magazines being in different places on M4 from different addon makers due to scale they are using.

Thanks for answering. I guess it would be a lot of work indeed to make it all compatible again.

Can we maybe have proxy magazines for a few other weapons though?

Weapons like Katiba, Rahim, CMR-76, Cyrus and MAR-10 should be doable without significant issues.

Is there maybe also any way to make Mk-I or SPAR-17 work? I would love that.

59 minutes ago, the_one_and_only_Venator said:

Katiba

Katbia is impossible to do since its sharing mag with other CSAT 6.5mm weapons which have much different magazines.

1 hour ago, the_one_and_only_Venator said:

Mk-I or SPAR-17 work

Impossible to do since those weapons are sharing one 7.62x51 magazine with Mk14, Spar17 and Mk I - all of those weapons have different magazines and they wouldn't fit into each other (even realism wise) yet in game single one is used. Same with UGL grenades - GP25 is using same round as i.e. MX 3GL or any other underbarrel grenade launcher.

1 hour ago, the_one_and_only_Venator said:

Rahim, CMR-76, Cyrus and MAR-10

Magazine proxies to those weapons could be  indeed added but since vanilla wise it wouldn't change too much, it's rather low priority task

On 4/21/2020 at 8:59 PM, reyhard said:

Katbia is impossible

I thought this would be just like with SPAR-17 and Mk-I

I do understand though that this is low priority. I just feel the game is entering a state where nothing severe is gonna be changed but some small tweaks and fixes are still gonna improve the experience.