Sign in to follow this  
EBass

Your opinions on ofps "competition"

but the thing is walker these games get more attention online than ofp because they have much more scale in players, delta force would put u in big maps with big bases and 64 other ppl and little lag even for 56kers playin on the other side of the world like me, i wish i still had df2. OFP has alot of potential, but these stragety type maps offer little to nothing online because they take too long to play, to have a long game u need JIP, ppl leave the game and other people waiting cannont replace them until u end the game. The rts maps r the most fun ive had the AI make up for the lack of players but no one ever wants to play rts its too long ppl want to ither play ctf or cnh two very unorginal game modes. DF2s attack and defend is more orginal.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CanVagabond @ Jan. 20 2003,13:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Jan. 20 2003,18:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">as walker said, OFP gives a variety of tools that enable wildest things. CoC is a good example. it incorporates RTS based on a FPS game. now who can claim that with such pride?<span id='postcolor'>

Battlezone? tounge.gif

Never thought about Tribes being OpFlash's competition though.<span id='postcolor'>

yep battlezone would probly be one of the first games to put together the game modes, it was my very first game i played online, was great fun havin a 1v1 buildin up my base and defences and capturing reasources, i would put mine fields around his base and attack with a wave of bombers. Battlezone 2 i never had teh chance to play well before i upgraded and by then i had given it to a friend.

Battlezone 2 was a step down in my opinion. Too much terrain screwed up the AI pathfinding, resourcing was bland and unexciting, too easy to turtle up.....I could go on.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CanVagabond @ Jan. 20 2003,16:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Battlezone 2 was a step down in my opinion. Too much terrain screwed up the AI pathfinding, resourcing was bland and unexciting, too easy to turtle up.....I could go on.<span id='postcolor'>

yea gameplay took a major hit the graphics were nice, but scavengers system i didnt like, the AI wasnt very good and a few of my fav vechicles took a hit like the bomber, and fighting aliens wasnt as fun as russians(welli used to like being the russians tounge.gif)

there was another game called uprising where u went around in this small tank.

U could dock into bases and set troops,bombers and some other stuff up against the enemy bases but i can`t remember it very well becuase its been AGES since i played it.

Tribes 2 would be a futuristic contender for OFP even though tribes 2 is a MP oriented game.

Its just a shame its mostly capture the flag because game modes like capturing resources or bases for extra equipment or inavasion style maps would of made things more interesting.

Tribes 2 had massive landscapes not bordered in by the sea,but u did fight in specific location but were not limited too them plus it had vehicles with land,sea and air capabilities ,apart from the mobile base which had radar capabilities anti-aircraft missile and equipment dispenser.

The other vehicles could either skim over the water like the tanks or could dive right into it like the scout ship then pop out again which is very good for evasive manouvers or suprise attacks biggrin.gif

I could go on and on about the details but ill summerise quickly.

It doesn`t need a supercomputer to run on and u can play quite well on a 56k modem,ur shots may lag a little so u need to lead targets.

u can completely configure ur character with weapons,armour and equipment such as a cloaking device,repair tools,deployable sentries and sensors and so on.

The aircraft u get are light scout ship,bomber,heavy troop carrier which are all anti-grav vehicls and handle like a cross between a plane and a chopper plus they have a nice learning curve to them.

The ground vehicles are tank,jet bike and the jericho mobile base.

I am embarrased. How can you? How can you compare Tribes 2 and OFP?

mad.gifcrazy.gifmad.gifcrazy.gif

OFP: Realistic, one of the few games to offer infantry\all vehicles (Wheeled, Tracked, Heli, Jet, types). It is Wargasm reborn into a whole different theme and a dream come true. As long as you know how to use Oxygen, script, and use the mission builder (cons). Weird feeling engine. Only 1 weapon port per vehicle (con). Odd bugs. Overall, great game (M2A2 kicks major azz.)

Ghost Recon: 3 words. Weapons Too Accurate. Plays great with a unaccuracy mod. Less accurate weapons lead to more fire fights. Silly radar in multiplayer by looking on map and seeing where people are (cheating, is a con). OICW's 20mm burst scope and equipment not done correctly (con).

Tribes 2: 3 words yet again. Too Many Controls. gameplay is the same all the time, limited use of vehicles (for the 10 seconds I played until I took it back...) bot support? (pro!wink.gif Tribes 1 would have been great with bots. Thats all they really needed, better graphics, more vehicles, and bots to make Tribes 2. Marketing flop.

Delta Force 1: Pixel like gameplay = fun. Unrealism (sniping with a SAW? con.)

Delta Force 2: Uh, forget why couldn't play. Lack of OpenGL or D3D support or something?

Delta Force LW: Can you say cheaters R' us? I believe the OICW was included? Whats that? Fire control computer not done correctly? (con!wink.gif

BF1942: Good game overall. Arcadish tanks, aircraft, but more arcadish than OFP (OFP doesn't have the fire control computers on the tanks, etc, con..) repetative maps (con) no B17 on coop (players vs. bots) levels (major con), bots either unintelligent or too intelligent (con). idiots on your team who just wait in the airfield or drive the ships off the map (con). Engineer's rifle won't kill in one shot anymore (con)

Battlezone: Odd graphics, Great game (especially online, even with lag) Lunar Lander with the disco cannon (pro) russians (pro)

Battlezone 2: Aliens (con), A.I a bit retarded (con), no red crazy ivans (russians, con)

Wargasm: Stupid multiplayer (no lobby, con), Could not jump into vehicles but instead spawn as them (con), could not bind keys (con), slight futuristic theme (con), Helicopters (pro), tanks (pro).

Rainbow Six series: Good. City Street Large (pro), terrorist swine (pro), Mother.May.I maps (good)

Vietcong Demo:...doy doy doy! (con)

IGI 2 multiplayer demo: Ricehats yet again, and AK-47's and RPG-7s. How better can it get? (pro), team IGI sawks (con)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OmniMax @ Jan. 30 2003,04:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Delta Force 1: Pixel like gameplay = fun. Unrealism (sniping with a SAW? con.)<span id='postcolor'>

I have never been able to zoom with the SAW, you're sure that's possible?

Just burst at the moving pixels, used to work for a friend of mine, but I always used the M4A1\wM203

it was great tho df2, substandard graphics almost no animation 100% accurate weapons apart from bullet drop, but it had massive mp and no lag for modemers playin from over seas, koth and A&D games were great fun, offline and coops it was terrible.

Hmm..

On CQ fighting.. Im surprised SWAT3 hasn't gotten more comment along the lines of R6. However I suppose the lethality of it has been reduced to make it more accessible for to the general public.

I could never get into BF1942, for many of the reasons listed above. However, I do love Day of Defeat, which has about the right amount mix of realism and fun, for a general FPS.. and is well worth the look.

Still, OFP remains the single best game I can ever recall playing (way back to my first PC Jr game, Round42)