Sign in to follow this  
Shortbus

Please revise your patch scheme

BIS,

please revise your patch process. I've been recruiting people to play flashpoint but it's a tough sell when they have to download multiple patches to play online.

My friend uninstalled, reinstalled Resistance twice because he wasn't sure which patches to download and install. I had to remotely take control over his computer, download the right patches, and install them for him. Can we please have a single "fix 'em all" patch.

I know this isn't an issue for most of us because we're smrt but for regular casual users, this is too complicated of a process.

As far as I know, flashpoint has sold over a million copies yet when I play online, there are only a hundred or so spread across many servers. So either the other 999,900 players just don't like flashpoint or the process of playing online is too dificult for them.

Let's make the first step easier for the regular user and allow them to download a single patch.

Thankyou.

A few words:

LAST VERSION

1-Install Op. Flashpoint.

2-Install Op. Flashpoint Resistance.

3-Install 1.90 Patch.

It isn´t so hard, but I think it maybe confusing for non-experienced users.

You only need to install the latest patches.... not all of them. Tell your friends to download these patches: 1.46 for OFP and 1.90 or 1.91(either one will do)if they have Resistance.

I agree though, they should put all the older patches in an archive of somesort... biggrin.gif

Kind of agree with Shortbus since the sequence for me is more like;

Install OFP

Install Red hammer

Install Resistance

Install 1.85 patch

Install 1.85 Red hammer campaign patch

Install 1.90

Install 1.90 OFP campaign patch

Not complex but hardly one easy step, especially when there are problems with the links on the download pages.

And we can assume that at least one more patch is on its way. Who knows what further steps that may add. One master patch would make life a good deal simpler for newbies.

Yes, the 2 added campaign patches make upgrading a little more complex.

Other than those 2, the version patches are indeed master patches. For example, you can patch from Resistance 1.75 straight to 1.91, without either the 1.85 or 1.90 patches, which were simply earlier master patches.

Fortunately, the 2 campaign patches are a 1 time thing. Once you've installed them, you'll never need to again - unless, of course, there are still errors in the current campaign patches. Let's hope not. wink.gif

They do have a single big patch it's called 'Game of the Year edition' and it costs about $40 smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (flashiez33 @ Jan. 17 2003,20:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They do have a single big patch it's called 'Game of the Year edition' and it costs about $40 smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Wrong! You still should upgrade GOTY to 1.91 and also apply the CWC campaign 1.90 patch. confused.gif

See what I mean, even people who think they know how to patch correctly aren't doing it the right way!

Install OFP CWC

Patch up to 1.46. (1.30, then 1.46)

Install Resistance

Patch to 1.90

If you want, patch to 1.91 and get the Camel.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Jan. 18 2003,23:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Install OFP CWC

Patch up to 1.46.  (1.30, then 1.46)

Install Resistance

Patch to 1.90

If you want, patch to 1.91 and get the Camel.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, i cant see whats so difficult about that confused.gif

It just takes awhile.

thing that might confuse ppl is that OFP patch scheme is not as linear as others. in other programs, you patch from a=>b=>c.

wth OFP and OFPR, you go

a=>b and then c=>d

so some get confused.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Jan. 19 2003,19:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">thing that might confuse ppl is that OFP patch scheme is not as linear as others. in other programs, you patch from a=>b=>c.

wth OFP and OFPR, you go

a=>b  and then c=>d

so some get confused.<span id='postcolor'>

Reading that has confused me already.  wow.gif

Does this have something to do with in what order you install Red Hammer? What's the non-linear part?