madrussian

Dedicated Server Questions (general)

Hi all, I have a couple DS things I hope to accomplish.

Quick background, so we’re on the same page.

Spoiler

I have good DS scripting knowledge.  Wrote a big dynamic Co-op mission that works equally well in SP, on HS, and on DS (that I hope to release very soon, and that I think many of you will like).  Unfortunately my understanding of how to set up a DS is pretty limited (to basically checking the “Server” parameter on the A3 launcher, and creating a quick “CONFIG_server.cfg” file so I can give myself admin privileges).  Long story short, my DS terminology is pretty bad so please bear with me.

OK, here goes:

1. Suppose someone owns a DLC (Global Mobilization for example).  Suppose someone has 2 or more Steam accounts (and 2 or more PCs).  Suppose they own A3 on both accounts but only own GM on one account.  I know from experience, I can can run a DS on one account/machine (via “Server” parameter on the A3 launcher), and start the game normally from other account/machine, and join that game.  I know that with this type of DS (again DS via “Server” parameter on the A3 launcher), I would have to own GM on both Steam accounts to play with GM (even though one machine is DS-only).  The question is, is there a way to make this DS scenario work with only one owned copy of GM?  (Perhaps with the other type of DS, where you use “steamcmd.exe” and set up DS in it’s own dir, etc?)

2. I’m having trouble getting Workshop Missions to show up on my DS.  Is this simply not possible?  If we are subscribed to MP missions on the Workshop, how do we get them to show up on the DS?  In other words, must we physically place mission PBO files into the DS’s mpmissions folder?  (Btw - I am seeing official missions on my DS, so seems missions from addons are showing up.  So why not subscribed missions straight from Workshop to DS?)

Any insight is much appreciated.

15 hours ago, madrussian said:

I don't really understand all of your question. But GM is included in the dedicated server package on steam without the need to own it.

2. I’m having trouble getting Workshop Missions to show up on my DS.

This is getting too close to violating rule 9 of our forum rules.

You can host GM missions with the standard dedicated server package from steam

Subscribe to mission on workshop > search up "where to find arma 3 missions from workshop" > move that into the mpmissionsfolder of your ds

58 minutes ago, Dedmen said:

GM is included in the dedicated server package on steam without the need to own it.

42 minutes ago, Spatsiba said:

You can host GM missions with the standard dedicated server package from steam

^ Good to know, I will try this again!

1 hour ago, Dedmen said:

This is getting too close to violating rule 9 of our forum rules.

If you are referring to:

Posting addon/mod other content without permission

OK, so my DS is on a private LAN, and in this case I'm simply trying to upload my mission to Steam correctly, so that people can see it where they should be seeing it.  When I upload my mission to Steam and can't see it on my DS, that makes me think I've uploaded it incorrectly.

53 minutes ago, Spatsiba said:

Subscribe to mission on workshop > search up "where to find arma 3 missions from workshop" > move that into the mpmissionsfolder of your ds

Thanks, so to make it super simple:  It sounds like A3 DS indeed has no capability to (directly) see/play Steam missions, correct?

I was hoping uploading to Steam would save me a step when playing missions (inc mine) on a DS.  The step I was hoping to save was manually moving the PBOs to DS every time.  (In this case I'm talking about moving mission PBO every time I update my mission to test on my private DS)

If you are referring to:

huh? No.

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/54604-forum-rules/

9) Do not cross-post

Do not post duplicate threads in more than one forum simply to get an answer quicker or to draw more attention to your post.

You created a thread for it, and also posted it here.

OK guilty as charged I suppose.  Sorry, and will try to phrase my questions in more clear/concise manner the 1st time in the future.  Anyhow, I never did get a straight answer and I'm still not clear on this:

It sounds like A3 DS indeed has no capability to (directly) see/play Steam missions, correct?

On 6/14/2019 at 3:37 PM, madrussian said:

It sounds like A3 DS indeed has no capability to (directly) see/play Steam missions, correct?

Correct.

• Thanks 1