Pyrit.

Get to Know - Alexander Laubacher - Junior Scripter

Dz2j8BeXQAAim9o.thumb.jpeg.84410f7539bdd68c82d60708f14fe53d.jpeg

▶ What do you do on Vigor?

I'm a Jr. Scripter working on creating / prototyping game mechanics and player interfaces.

▶ What is your contribution to the Vigor Team?

I do my best to always be learning something new, both at work and in my personal life.. Whether it be the Czech language or an aspect of the Unreal Editor. For me, a day’s success is measured in the lessons learned.
And from a technical perspective, my contributions are probably most visible in the Reward & Crate screens displaying cloud data to the player.

▶ What do you like about Vigor?

I like the mentality of high risk, the high reward associated with the airdrop. I personally enjoy games that create this feeling of hypersensitivity and suspense that emotionally capture the player in a way that's unique or commonly connected with games like F.E.A.R.

▶ What do you want to see in Vigor?

I hope to see more easter eggs. While there's already quite a few, I still feel there's room for more. It would be nice to hide some cleverly scripted actor within a level just to see how long it takes for the community to notice. 🙂

▶  What do you do when you are not making Vigor?

When I'm not working I do my best to stay creative and busy; that being said I try and balance my time among friends, goals & personal projects.

▶ Did game dev change your view on games and how?

I think whenever your passion becomes your career, your mentality changes a bit. I thoroughly enjoy game-dev, but it certainly changes the way you experience games. I find myself far more analytical and taking longer to progress through the game as I’ve become overly detail-oriented.

▶  Your favorite games and why?

I feel compelled to mention the Arma franchise, as I owe my career and love for game-dev to it. But growing up my favorite games were Banjo And Kazooie, Delta Force Black Hawk Down, and Stronghold Crusader. Unfortunately after joining Bohemia, I find myself playing games less in my free time. Hopefully, in the near future, I’ll be able to catch up on some of the recent releases.

▶ What's your favorite music, movie, show, book and why?

This question has no short answer for me. But I love media that leaves the audience thinking. For example shows like Black Mirror, Maniac, or books like To Kill A Mockingbird.
In regards to music, I was raised a metalhead, and spend a lot of time listening to thrash bands such as Kreator, Municipal Waste, DRI, & Testament. 

▶  Is there something that you want to say to our community?

Just that it's amazing to create content and receive feedback, so join the community discord and forum.

▶ You are an Outlander; humanity has fallen. What would you do?

822d5752fdf413bd1d73f6f4a0e32e51dfa4412b34c10b80c156f49a18f7bc5d.jpg
In reality, I think I’d find a nice shelter and only queue for encounters when I need essential resources. 🙂

Bonus Question (From Martin )

▶ How do you enjoy living in Europe? What is the biggest difference for you?

I absolutely love living in Europe. It seems every major European city is perfect for getting lost in for a weekend or so. Here in the Czech Republic, there are almost monthly festivities to keep yourself busy. It's a great place to live, I certainly recommend it to all my friends in the states considering careers abroad.

After being here for a year it's rather hard to remember what the biggest difference was? The one that's reoccurring, and most frustrating in the summer, is that there is no ‘free’ water in Czech restaurants. You explicitly have to order it, in the states it's just always there. It's a terribly small thing but seems to be a reoccurring nuisance. Other then the one “pet peeve” I can't think of anything terribly different. Im sure theres a lot that I'm overlooking, but after a while, the Czech / European lifestyle just seems normal. 🙂

• Like 1