Sign in to follow this  
taly01

Lockups with amd and via m/b...arrgghhhhh

After two weeks of hell getting Op.Flash to run stably i thought i share what i found out smile.gif

I have the dreaded combination of a Sblive and VIA amd chipset sad.gif do a search on the internet about its compatibilty problems!

Anyway to run OF totally stable i use in BIOS AGP 1x and 8mb aperture AND the PCIlatencypatch v0.19 This little patch is magic to my PC i have no data problems whatsoever with it (i make game mods etc).

http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/

System Athlon 2000XP

MBoard VIA 266

Vcard Gforce ti4200

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (taly01 @ Dec. 30 2002,18:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">After two weeks of hell<span id='postcolor'>

All you had to do was to search The FAQ for "via". smile.gif

I had one week of hell then thought i'll look at Op.Falsh site and that helped.

Then in the Airborne mission of OF it just refused to play all the way through.. after considering throwing my machine out the window i did a big internet search and found the PCIlatency patch. This actually helped my machine in everything and OF is finally 100% stable (still needs 8mb aperture)

Weird thing is some other games need 64+ aperture else THEY crash Arrgghhh

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (taly01 @ Jan. 01 2003,12:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Then in the Airborne mission of OF it just refused to play all the way through.. after considering throwing my machine out the window i did a big internet search and found the PCIlatency patch.  This actually helped my machine in everything and OF is finally 100% stable (still needs 8mb aperture)

Weird thing is some other games need 64+ aperture else THEY crash Arrgghhh<span id='postcolor'>

You shouldn't need the PCI latency -patch if you have the latest BIOS and up to date 4-in-1 drivers. That latency tweak is old and it was a temporary solution to the chipset problems, but some say that it should not be used with the latest 4-in-1's anymore.

What comes to your aperture size solution, that sounds a bit weird. How much RAM do you have? If you don't have too much of it, keeping the aperture size at a rather small value is advisable. In practice, aperture size means the amount of system memory the AGP card is allowed to use to increase its texture memory capacity. In theory it shouldn't hurt to keep it at 64 or 128 if you have 256 or more memory. It doesn't automatically reserve the memory for the graphics card, but uses the memory only if it needs to. Causing the machine to crash if the aperture size is not set on 8MB sound quite weird. But, then again, it's VIA and everything is possible... wink.gif

I have 384 ram so it should be OK to run 64/128 aperture.

I have the latest 4in1VIA driver but have not upgraded the M/B bios (i just bought board this month).

I *think* the trouble is the SBLive/VIA compatibility problems,  they reckon the SBlive "takes control of the PCI bus".

Everything works 100% now but it is annoying to need to reboot and set the bios depending what i want to do sad.gif

Thanks to almost 2 years of OFP forums participation wow.gif, I made a mental note a long time ago to avoid any box with VIA chipsets and to think three times before purchasing a Creative sound card.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Jan. 02 2003,10:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks to almost 2 years of OFP forums participation wow.gif, I made a mental note a long time ago to avoid any box with VIA chipsets and to think three times before purchasing a Creative sound card.<span id='postcolor'>

Nah, VIA is good if you're prepared to spend half of your spare time to troubleshoot it so that it works... and the other half treating your ulcer wink.gif

I wonder if I'm just lucky with my system. I haven't had any problems.

Asus A7V mobo - BIOS 1009

ThunderBird 1.1Ghz CPU

GeForce2 MX 64MB

SoundBlaster Live Value

512MB PC133 SDRAM

BURL

wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spitfire @ Jan. 02 2003,10:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nah, VIA is good if you're prepared to spend half of your spare time to troubleshoot it so that it works... and the other half treating your ulcer wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

As the proud owner of three Via/AMD/Creative systems, I've always found that blaming them is just too popular. I'd guess 50% of self-builds (at least) use all of these components. My last system even had a Radeon 8500, and it still ran everything I threw at it, with only one issue with one set of beta drivers.

I've wondered off my point a little...blaming the most common hardware doesn't really cut it in my opinion. On the other hand, I think I am the worlds most fortunate person when it comes to hardware.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Itchy @ Jan. 02 2003,15:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think I am the worlds most fortunate person when it comes to hardware.<span id='postcolor'>

Murphy needs just one like you to lure thousands of others to frustration and frazzled nerves. You are bait in the game of hardware purchases. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Jan. 02 2003,13:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You are bait in the game of hardware purchases. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Depressingly true. I told a clanmate to get an ATi card, as my 7500 was working just nicely. We both got 8500 at about the same time.

Mine worked wonderfully, his caused constant lockups in his system, and nothing we went through solved it, even a windows reinstall.

I think he just got a faulty card, but he didn't ever try to send it back.

Just to try and keep this on-topic, I've always thought reducing your AGPx* was just covering a problem which is still there, as well as meaning you don't get the full bang out of your card.

My last system was a Duron/ASUS A7pro-VIA133/SBlive system and was fine......... but this AthlonXP/SpacewalkerAK32-VIA266/SBLive has been a total pain.

I just found a newer BIOS for my board that seems to do the same thing as the PCI latency patch (which is lucky as they don't work with each other) - but i still need to use 1x AGP and 8mb AGP aperture for OpF.