Sign in to follow this  
Ixian

Why isnt ofp popular as hl or bf?

I think that some gamers are turned off when they see an example of visual unrealism - they want, and hence expect, that if a game is marketed as 'the closest thing to real combat' as OFP is, that, for instance, vehicles won't simply distort and start smoking. From my experience, most gamers are incredibly fickle and (especially if they are used to games like HL or CS) will pick bones mainly about the graphic quality compared to other games without realising that a game like OFP is a different type of game requiring a different engine and soforth.

But, as numerous people have said, OFP isn't for everybody. It seems that for most gamers, a game is "realistic" enough if the guns look nice. For most gamers, combat = guns.

I'm not terribly worried about this, because if it did attract the majority of the gaming community, forums like this would be swamped with morons instead of people who can discuss, suggest, complain etc. in a proper fashion.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr. Snrub @ Dec. 30 2002,06:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm not terribly worried about this, because if it did attract the majority of the gaming community, forums like this would be swamped with morons instead of people who can discuss, suggest, complain etc. in a proper fashion.<span id='postcolor'>

What you're saying is that we are the true l337. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Dec. 30 2002,15:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr. Snrub @ Dec. 30 2002,06:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm not terribly worried about this, because if it did attract the majority of the gaming community, forums like this would be swamped with morons instead of people who can discuss, suggest, complain etc. in a proper fashion.<span id='postcolor'>

What you're saying is that we are the true l337. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly smile.gif We are the highest rank of l337, unlike those sUb-l337 CS players wink.gif

No offence to CS players here - we (or at least I am) are referring to the general attitude of CS players.

I believe today's gamers are too dependent on eyecandy. They think eyecandy makes for 80% of gameplay, that's why they don't catch on OFP that easy. If it is one thing I've learned a long time ago it is eyecandy is not gameplay. I guess if I did'nt learn that, I might never have got the interest for OFP. I'm one of that type who looks through the feature-list before going to the screenshot-gallery of a website, but I think the majority does it the other way around these days confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Dec. 30 2002,07:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr. Snrub @ Dec. 30 2002,06:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm not terribly worried about this, because if it did attract the majority of the gaming community, forums like this would be swamped with morons instead of people who can discuss, suggest, complain etc. in a proper fashion.<span id='postcolor'>

What you're saying is that we are the true l337. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Avon, you got it! OFP is something special and so is our community. There`s no need to compare OFP with CS or BF, because you can`t compare cherries to potatoes. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (der bastler @ Dec. 29 2002,22:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why's OFP less popular?

[cynicism]

Because you need brains to play it?

[/cynicism]<span id='postcolor'>

No you dont, but at least it doesnt punish you for having one! tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Dec. 30 2002,13:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">because you can`t compare cherries to potatoes.<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe you can, if you like German cooking. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Dec. 30 2002,13:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Dec. 30 2002,13:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">because you can`t compare cherries to potatoes.<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe you can, if you like German cooking. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

hey! Don't mess with german cooking! mad.gif

it's far better than everybody thinks. smile.gif

Right, the best beer in the world!

*homer* Hm, Bier...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (music: torero-theme @ opera "carmen")</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Oh... what is the multi-liquor?

What gets you drunken quicker?

What comes in bottles or in cans? (Beer)

Can't get enough of it (Beer)

How we really love it (Beer)

Makes me think I'm a man (Beer)

I could kiss and hug it (Beer)

But I'd rather chug it (Beer)

Got my belly up to here (Beer)

I could not refuse a (Beer)

I could really use a beer, beer, beer

Beer, beer, beer, beer, beer, beer, beer, beer

I can't remember how much I have had

I drank a twelve-pack with my dad (BURP! )

That's my son the drunken manly stud

I'm proud to be his bud

Here have some pretzels

No, I'll call it quits

Those things give me the shlits (ha ha ha)

Drink with your family

Drink it with your friends

Drink till your fat, stomach distends

Beer is liquid bread, it's good for you

We like to drink till we spew! Ew!

Who cares if we get fat?

I'll drink to that

As we sing once more...

What is the malt and liquor?

What gets you drunken quicker?

What comes in bottles or in cans? (Beer)

Can't get enough of it (Beer)

How we really love it (Beer)

Makes me think I'm a man (Beer)

I could kiss and hug it (Beer)

But I'd rather chug it (Beer)

Got my belly up to here (Beer)

Golly, I adore it! (Beer)

Come on dammit, pour it!

Do it for me, brew it for me

Feed it to me, speed it to me (Beer)

The most wonderful drink in the world

HOORAY!!! (BURP! )

<span id='postcolor'>

btw, kind of liquid bread...

biggrin.gif

*cough*

Back to business -why call us L337? We are Elite!

(not this 5h0u1d-10oK-c3wl-speech)

wink.gif