Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Hamburger beach

Yeah, a lot of people have been complaining about it being too hard, so I was thinking of revising it a bit.

What do you think I should change?

At the end, the Soviet back-up, I will remove the T-80.

Anything else I should change?

It would be good if there would be an ammo box in the city with some RPG's or LAW's

So you can rearm yourself

And maybe turn the music of after you beat the beach (that real guns)

I totally forgot about this mission.

Tried it and my boat gets blown up at the start of the mission while approaching the beach. Happens every time. Is that why it's called "hamburger Beach"?

The PBO's file date is July 16, 2002, 2:10AM

confused.gifconfused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Sep. 18 2002,23:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I totally forgot about this mission.

Tried it and my boat gets blown up at the start of the mission while approaching the beach. Happens every time. Is that why it's called "hamburger Beach"?

confused.gif  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It shouldn't be happening every time confused.gif

Are you in the boat to the far left? That one should make it to the beach 9 out of 10 times...it does for me anyway confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Sep. 19 2002,00:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are you in the boat to the far left? That one should make it to the beach 9 out of 10 times...it does for me anyway confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Do you think it has something to do with my Honeyplum Glow nail polish? confused.gifwow.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Sep. 19 2002,06:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you think it has something to do with my Honeyplum Glow nail polish? confused.gif  wow.gif  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

There is no emoticon to express my reaction to the fact that something called "Honeyplum Glow" nail polish even exists.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Sep. 19 2002,08:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Sep. 19 2002,06:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you think it has something to do with my Honeyplum Glow nail polish? confused.gif  wow.gif  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

There is no emoticon to express my reaction to the fact that something called "Honeyplum Glow" nail polish even exists.<span id='postcolor'>

How about "Asphyxia" by Urban Decay? biggrin.gif

Actually, I know a girl who wears that Urban Decay stuff. Believe it or not, realising how odd women can be about cosmetics just increases my affection for the species biggrin.gif ; because I realise that I can be just as wierd about cars, machinery, and other stuff that I am sure no self-respecting female would care about

OK, got the mission to play today on a fresh load of OFPR.

star.jpgstar.jpgstar.jpg

It goes in my 3-star mission folder (3 is best, 1 is worst - actually deletion is worst).

Got 7450 points and a gold star.

We hit the beach and the first thing that happened was I chipped a nail. wow.gif

I had my troops advance ahead of me (cluck-cluck-cluck-cluck) and it was a good thing, too! By the time we got up to the crest overlooking the town, my team was gone, though my last AI took out the Shilka very nicely. Hey, who put that Shilka over the crest anyway?! mad.gif

Now, my first mission goal, clearing every last Russian on the beach, was not checked yet but what the heck! Let's go to town! I snuck around the houses on the eastren perimeter and saw a Russian officer (I think) in the courtyard. Bye Bye. Him - not me.

Looked around the houses and finally got a message to retreat for extraction. I did, with Soviet armor on my heals. Heading back towards the beach, I spotted and killed 2 enemies admiring an artillery cannon. I also found an MG nest that wasn't taken care of. Still, the first mission goal was not checked.

I gathered up LAWs, the RPGs, then LAWs again and destroyed one of the tanks and the BMP that came down for a dip. The second tank was badly damaged and retreated somewhere.

Well, I looked all around and it took me ages to see that the southern-most MG nest was still manned. Not for long. That then gave me my checkmark for mission goal 1.

Still no chopper. First I tried taking the Higgins for a ride. Fun addon actually. Then I can back ashore and decided that maybe I have to completely finish off the last tank.

Because of the combat ambience noise, I could not make out if and where from there was any engine noise. So, after running down the south coast road to nowhere, I went back to town. Sure enough, there it was, parked next to the tents. One LAW and the mission was over.

Comments:

1. Loved the intro, with "Born to be Wild".

2. Put the mission goals on page one of the mission plan. Whenever I went back into the mission, I have to go to the second page to see my mission status.

3. At some point the combat ambiance noise should die down, get more distant or disappear altogether. I would suggest this be triggered by reaching the crest of the town, even if the beach hasn't been 100% cleared. If you got up there, it's 95% clear.

4. When you get to town, it would be effective to see civilians running away, some dead and wounded and others hitting the dirt.

5. Is there a document in town or there really never is?

6. If Soviet armor retreats back to town after heading for extraction, that should be equivalent of holding back forces and allow mission goal 3 to be completed.

7. I did not understand the significance of the end cutscene, with the solitary Soviet officer standing on the road.

8. Ending outro with Chinook and slow violin music was nice but too long. Also, at the end of it, the camera seemed to be stuck closeup to one of the Chinook's windows, which seemed silly. Also, it should have landed at the beach for extraction, no?

9. You're wasting your mind in University, Ex-RoNiN. tounge.gif

Yay, glad that you liked it smile.gif

Some of the deficiencies (briefing, objectives, combat noise) will be fixed in a new platinum version, which I will release at around Christmas time smile.gif

As for civilians in town, it is supposed to be an AA headquarters for the entire sector of the island, I don't think anyone wants civilians running around at such an important location?

As for the document, hmmm, try searching the tents smile.gif

The end cutscene is slightly borked, that needs fixing wink.gif

As for the Chinook and the music, that was Adagio for strings and you should have recognised it if you have seen Platoon smile.gif The music I mean.

The chopper is MEANT to be shot down, that's why the few people that survived the beach get shot, and not rescued smile.gif

Item 9: I know sad.gif

Like I said, watch out for X-mas time, I will release all of my missions fixed and ready for Resistance smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Sep. 19 2002,15:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As for the document, hmmm, try searching the tents smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I did. While I was in the tent is when I got a message that nothing was there or the search failed and I had to get back to the beach. So mission goal 2 was marked with a red X.

Is there an alternative? That's what I'm asking.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Sep. 19 2002,20:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Sep. 19 2002,15:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As for the document, hmmm, try searching the tents smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I did. While I was in the tent is when I got a message that nothing was there or the search failed and I had to get back to the beach. So mission goal 2 was marked with a red X.

Is there an alternative? That's what I'm asking.<span id='postcolor'>

Oh right.

No, thats the whole point of the mission, you don't find the documents you were hoping to find, thats why you have to retreat smile.gif

Ex-RoNiN, you and Hamburger Beach are in The FAQ.

You may have to refresh The FAQ's left-side menu frame. When you see a menu entry for <span style='color:red'>MOM</span>, click on it. smile.gif

That’s a good addition to the FAQ, may I suggest that a 5 star rating system would be more relevant?

RED

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Sep. 19 2002,22:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ex-RoNiN, you and Hamburger Beach are in The FAQ.

You may have to refresh The FAQ's left-side menu frame. When you see a menu entry for <span style='color:red'>MOM</span>, click on it. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Awww, I'm flattered smile.gif Thanks smile.gif

One thing though: </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just copy the PBO into your OFP MISSIONS subdirectory and that's it! <span id='postcolor'>

That's not quite true, the add-ons in the ZIP file need to be unpacked to the Add-ons folder I'm afraid smile.gif

Otherwise, very nice feature, and thanks very much for adding it smile.gif Muchos gracias senhora smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Aug. 02 2002,22:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">At the end, the Soviet back-up, I will remove the T-80.<span id='postcolor'>

Just saw this in the thread's 1st post.

No, please don't remove the T80! I had to work hard to find LAWs and RPGs all over the place on the beach and hills to take out all the backup armor. And after everytime I fired and the T80 was still around, it kept aiming it's turret in my direction but I ducked behind trees, a wrecked BMP, an MG fortification, whatever, and had to crawl stealthily through low ground in the hill terrain.

I still think though that if the armor retreats back to town, that should trigger a successful mission end.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Sep. 20 2002,01:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One thing though: </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just copy the PBO into your OFP MISSIONS subdirectory and that's it! <span id='postcolor'>

That's not quite true, the add-ons in the ZIP file need to be unpacked to the Add-ons folder I'm afraid smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

My mistake. I'll update MOM. smile.gif

Good evenin.

This is the response I sent to Ex-Ronin after I finally finished this very good mission. It might sound familiar to ya Ex-Ronin.

Very good mission.. I got her done with no deaths except for your twisted ending lol.

I left 3 of my law guys at one of the wire fences on the beach and halted them so they'd be ready for the tanks.

I took a small crew of shooters and one law with me to the town and we took out the shilka.Completed waypoint and I sent all non law guys back to the higgins

boat. The one law I took with me to the town and I took care of the T-80 and I ordered the other three laws to take out the T-72 and BMP. Messed em up a bit us waiting for them behind the closest house to the road.

Very good mission and funny ending...well done..

Rossco

PowerHour

BTW..Hello Avon Lady..Very Helpful site..Thanx

and don't chip any of that funky nail polish getting out of the Higgins lol.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PowerHour @ Sep. 22 2002,09:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW..Hello Avon Lady..Very Helpful site..Thanx

and don't chip any of that funky nail polish getting out of the Higgins lol.<span id='postcolor'>

As long as my non-smear mascara holds up, I'll be OK. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RED @ Sep. 19 2002,23:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That’s a good addition to the FAQ, may I suggest that a 5 star rating system would be more relevant?<span id='postcolor'>

Since MOM will not offer missions that (IMO) are not at least good in quality, I feel that 3 stars is quite sufficient, especially when there can be 1 and a half or 2 and a half stars as well.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Sep. 22 2002,21:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As long as my non-smear mascara holds up, I'll be OK. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe some er ahh..  goggles! Ya thats it. They come in many assorted colors and styles, then your good to go smile.gif. A well made up face might just be what ya need to escape the same fate as your comrades in that twisted ending..

Too funny.

Good Day

PowerHour

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Sep. 19 2002,15:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Like I said, watch out for X-mas time, I will release all of my missions fixed and ready for Resistance smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

*** cough ***

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Sep. 18 2002,23:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I totally forgot about this mission.

confused.gif  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I think the enemy may have you zeroed at the very start of the mission:

I've noticed that in fair sized battles, when I wuickly replay or load a previous save... the enemy now knows my exact location and I suddenly get lots of un-friendly fire coming my way.

Almost as if the little AI brains haven't had their RAM flushed or something. I also played Hamburger beach the other day and initially the dumbass commies in the beach were just firing wildly BUT as soon as that BMP (or whatever it is) first nailed my boat and I then quickly restarted.... it hit me every time from there on out.