Sign in to follow this  
chaztheducky

Military ducky!

all right, i feal that with -146 posts i should undo my stupid act and do something worth while.(please dont ban me sad.gif ). ofp is a great game but why the graphical update for resistance? it wasent relly needed (i thought ofp looked great already). with that said, resistance's requierments made it so i couldent play v1.75. i had a pretty bad graphics card back then and then it recently stopped working (fan broke) so i hope i get one for xmas. and after wrighting this i feal that i havent undon my stupid act and just wasted up space(sory). but for the original ducky topic, how did 4 pages get writen? im uterrly and totaly confused confused.gif

anyway merry xmas xmas.gif

to test your avatar/sig settings, send a PM to yourself. or refresh your old posts.

the original duck topic was spammed. in other words, ppl started posting irrelevant posts. since you created a thread that had no particular worthwhile subject, ppl took advantage of it.

so when you post on this forum, make sure

1)you post in correct section,

2)your subject is relevant to what each section is about.

for OFPR question. one of things that ppl asked was to make graphics look better. and BIS decided to work on that too. thanx to that(and other things too) OFPR requires a lot of system.

Well since your are talking about resistance, this should go into the general section........

About the graphicla update. While you may not feel the game engine needed a graphics update, I think many people did, and so they got what they wanted, and I have nothing againt the graphical upgrade.

the only real big problem besides the graphics card is the 500mgz processor. i know this doesent sound like much to someone with a 2.7 ghz p4 but its alot when you could play the resistance demo and not the full version game!!!!! anyways i was relly pissed when i fired up resistance(after i bought it) and found that it would get to the screen right before the menu and cut to my windows screen!!! after that i was pissed and very very sad sad.gif . it F*%&@! sucked.

what sucks about it now is that the sopwith was released and i cant play with it!!!

sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chaztheducky @ Dec. 24 2002,07:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">all right, i feal that with -146 posts i should undo my stupid act and do something worth while.<span id='postcolor'>

That was our bad sad.gif (in large part mine). Sorry to contribute towards starting off your post count in the negative hundreds, and again welcome to the forums xmas.gif

well, i play mine on 750mhz with 356MB ram and geForce 2MX 100, and OFPR runs ok with low settings. probably you should think about upgrading your system.

it was a blow off topic anyways biggrin.gif  but im suprised by your system strength ralf.

and turvish is forgiven biggrin.gif

the real problem with upgrading my system is that ill have to buy a new one and that requires about $1500 for a good one including a good graphics card. so i need a job.

depends. if you want to play OFPR in minimally acceptable setting, find a motherboard that can handle CPU of 700Mhz-1ghz, and get a CPU of tha speed and make one for yourself. not that hard.

I play Resistance on a 1.2gig Athlon with a GF2 MX400 and 256mb DDR I can play it at 1024x768 with a view distance of near 2000 as long as I dont put too many hundred units on screen at one time.

Itr would be nice if all games could play on everyones system, but unfortunetly it can not be.

How could you get negative posts?

Oh and by the way, I have one of those Compaq pentium 4 computers that came out late last summer.

Can I run OPFR on good settings? I don't know about all that other computer stuff like gigs and stuff.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Dec. 24 2002,17:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How could you get negative posts?

Oh and by the way, I have one of those Compaq pentium 4 computers that came out late last summer.  

Can I run OPFR on good settings?  I don't know about all that other computer stuff like gigs and stuff.<span id='postcolor'>

To answer your first question- a mod

To your second question, CPU wise you should be fine. Any P4 should be able to cope with Resistance. To find out about toehr stuff. Go into your control panel (acessable from the 'my computer' window) click system and it should tell you a little bit about your system. Check thast you have at least 128mb of ram (the minumum you want). Next thing to find out is what video card you have. To find this out, when you turn on your computer and there is all those balck screens with information, the first one that comes up should be about your video card. Check to see if you have 32mb of ram for you video card ( I would say you will). If you meet all those things, your ready to play Resistance (but maybe not at high settings).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">turvish is forgiven <span id='postcolor'>

Now he will kill you biggrin.gif

xmas.gif

COl Kurts, yeah, I am pretty sure I have enough of all that stuff.

Instead of 128 MB, I think I have the 1.7 one, but I am not really sure about those. I am not at my comp right now.

And I have a Geforce 2.  

Hmm, What would I need to be able to run OPFR smoothly on all the highest settings with like 2000 view distance?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chaztheducky @ Dec. 23 2002,08:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">it was a blow off topic anyways biggrin.gif  but im suprised by your system strength ralf.

and turvish is forgiven biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

turvish LMAO smile.gif

Ducky, have you followed the instructions for running Resistance In This THread?

I know that some people are running Resistance on such low-end PC's...should work for you too if you follow them instructions xmas.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Dec. 24 2002,18:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm, What would I need to be able to run OPFR smoothly on all the highest settings with like 2000 view distance?<span id='postcolor'>

Probably soemthing around a 2gig CPU, 512mb of ram and a video card in the Geforce 4Ti or Radeon 9500pro up.

well, i run it on a 350mhz p2 with 128mb of RAM and a16mb voodoo3 3000, and it runs pretty well. i just have to put up with short viewdistances and relatively crap graphics. i really should get a new pc, but for a now over four year old computer (xmas prezzie '98) it's holding up pretty well. and i dont think you can have very high terrain detail with long draw distances, the game automatically drops it down and removes the option from the men

Speaking of upgrades, I'm going to buy a new graphics card in the next week or so...any advice? It's either to be a Ti-4600 or Radeon. Can anyone recommend a specific brand and model that works well with OFP - price isn't a problem.

The one I have my eye on at the moment i an Asus brand Ti-4600.

i'd suggest Ti-4600.. there are soem issues with 9700 atm. i bought my ASUS Ti-4200 for 150 bucks(US) just a few days ago.(128MB ram). but i have yet to install it.

I'm waiting for the GeForce FX card before I upgrade. This old GeForce 3 (original) has served me well for the past 2 years, but it's starting to show some age

I personally would stay away from the Ti4600, not only becuase I dont like Nvidia, but becuase the Ti4600 is outdated and wont carry you into the new generation of graphics. Yeah sure, people will say 'but games dont use the graphcis features' but you have to be prepared. I would say either get a Radeon, or wait a while until careds like the Geforce FX and the R350,RV350 and RV400 come out.

Dont expect OFP to become faster if you only change a 3D-card!

The grapichs-outcome, depends on what hardware u change!

My conclusion over the last to years is ( in normal detail-setting and best possible framerate ):

The viewdistance is only a matter of raw cpu-power!

Dont matter if u have a geforce2 GTS 64 MB or a geforce4 TI4600 128 MB! It will be the same if the CPU is the same! Going from a athlon 1200 to a XP1800 gave roughly about 400-500 meters more..... If u like to fly and see the mountains before u crash into em??? Get a kickass CPU!

The resoultion (640*480, 1600*1200 etc) is where the 3D-cards count. And all the nice stuff like antialiasing.....

Want OFP to look relly good? Buy a top-notch 3D-card!

Framerate? Must be a fixed setting, like 20-25 fps maximum (little to low for my taste). There is (for me) no difference in framerates running 640*480 no AA or running 1600*1200 with 4xAA on.

RAM?

The speed of the ram counts for obvious reasons I dont want to point out tounge.gif

One thing is for sure, the RAM-ammount counts. But there is no reason going out buying 1 GB of it hopeing OFP runs any better!

My system only uses 380-400 MB of ram when running Resistance, windows tounge.gif, ICQ, RogerWilco + some explorers ! Always have 100 MB free........

256 MB of RAM is to little, Resistance will swap on your harddrive. 512 MB is excelent. 1024? Buy it if u have the money, but OFP wont run any better (not tottaly true).......

A fast harddrive also help alot in loading speeds, defrag your harddrive alot when playing OFP biggrin.gif Ingame it dossent matter to much, unless u fly very fast (600+) around nogova! Wish i had SCSI.........

Someone said, "im waiting for a geforce FX". I wuld to if i had 500 dollars, but dont expect OFP to run any better than on a Gefore4 ti4200. Other games might/will benefit from it but not OFP smile.gif

All my conclusions are based on running the game in "normal" detail setting. If u want to use the "high" and "very high" settings. Its not a 3d-card u have to look for, every card from geforce4 ti-models and higher shuld easy manage this task. But u need alot of CPU-power, ram, and very important, a damn fast harddrive, because loading takes alot longer time!

Last word of advice, dont buy top-notch stuff for to old PC's. Try keep the hardware-stuff from the same century  tounge.gif Or the relative speed increase will be to little.

Fubar: go buy a gf4-ti4600! U wont regret it, have a Creative myself and had no problems at all. Though a ti4200 wuldnt be bad either, only slightly slower (not notizeable in OPF though). Prepare to run OPF in insane resolutions with 4*aa on! Looks so nicely!

SkyQuake

thats great guys but your forgetting the most important part.

m o n e y.....

at the moment i have $100 cash a $50 dollar bestbuy giftcard and a $25 dollar game stop gift card. now there's basicily no way i could buy a new mobo w/ processor. i have a celeron 500mgz, 190mg's of sdram, im going to buy a kyro2 based graphics card($75-$100)[i need a graphics card, runnin on a 4x temporary card at the moment] and i have a 40gb maxtor 7200rpm hard drive. after the graphics card i need to either get a new computer or a new processor that fits in a 98' style processor sockett. it would be great if i could just buy the ultamate computer but life sucks and i have no such luck. sad.gif

i would like it if you would tell me what kind of mobo/processor combo i could get for under $200 that would be nice biggrin.gif

thx chazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

whoa..almost fell asleep biggrin.gif

[huck yuck yuck wink.gif ]