Sign in to follow this  
zenzelezz

Super ai + >1000m visibility = death

You might remember that I complained about the "Defender" mission earlier this week... well, I just got past it by setting the view distance all the way down to 500 meters, so that the enemy tanks didn't see the APC that is supposed to pick you up after you've taken out the tanks.

Now, however, I've reached the mission "Battle of Houdan"... me in a lousy M60, my teammates in three M1A1s... we get the order to take out the BMPs, that goes fair enough, then we start taking out the soldiers, but that's when the problems start... some enemy tanks, one T-80 and one T-72 I think, comes driving towards Houdan... I'm not really sure whether or not we manage to destroy them, because the tanks in the next city (can't remember what it's called, the one in the middle of the border zone) starts attacking us from probably at least a thousand meters away.

Now, I have my view distance set to 1288 meters now... I suppose I could try to set it lower like I did on "Defender", but something tells me I might have to play large parts of the campaign with a low view distance then, and I really don't wish that - not so much because I can see the enemies earlier sometimes as because the game just looks really great with the view distance I have now.

I don't know if the Cold War Crisis campaign was easier on veteran mode with super AI before (as in before some of the patches, I can't remember when the AI turned so much greater), but if it wasn't then I'm wondering... those of you who have completed CWC with super AI on, what view distance do you use?

-- zenzelezz

AI's detection distance is also affected by view distance. so you might want to try 900 meters since that's the default that OFP campaign was originally made with.

I'm aware that the AI is affected by the view distance, that's why I asked :) But thanks, I was not aware that OFP was made for/using 900 meters, I'll try that!

Just hope it still looks as good... (I mean, I don't expect the graphical quality to drop of course, but having used 1288 meters for so long, I'm afraid it might seem "incorrect" with less... well, whatever makes it possible to complete the missions ;)

-- zenzelezz

1800 meters? Did you complete the campaign with super AI on that setting? I think I'd have been killed all the time if I had view distance set that high...

Anyway, I set my view distance to 900 meters, and now the mission seem more possible to accomplish :) I do wish I'd see just a bit further, but I think I'll rather play through the campaign(s?) first and then go joy-riding with a larger view distance.

-- zenzelezz

Yeah this is a problem. Two examples in the first Mission for the resistance "Black Bear" (the tank destroying squad) if you have the view distance set higher than 900 they will find something more interesting than the T72 and go and attack that (Uh White wolf ur buggered weve seen an intresting target on the horizon u can deal with that tank). Also as said on defender they will blow the APC to pick u up. AFter having resistance for so long its easy to forget that resistance added that option of view distance which was not incorperated before. Set it to 900 and you'll be fine. (Well as fine as you would be normally, if u fail now its ur fault) Also the resistance new ai or clipping or SOMETHING buggers up the 1985 cutscenes. U hear it but all u see is empty houses with guba yelling.

Yeah! I was watching it, but all it the screen showed was different camera angles of Guba's house with the bad guy himself yapping away (but nowhere in sight). What the hell is that about?! crazy.gif

Can someone tell me how to change the view distance - I didn't know you could.

You'll need resistance. (You can't do it in CWC sad.gif )

Then you must go to the video settings on options and voilla! There it is! smile.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (zenzelezz @ 23 Dec. 2002,23:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1800 meters? Did you complete the campaign with super AI on that setting? I think I'd have been killed all the time if I had view distance set that high...

...<span id='postcolor'>

I guess 1800 isn't that much of a problem, because tank gunners don't compensate for the distance and all their shells will land in front of you biggrin.gif

Just test it in the editor...

i have it on around 3000 cept I tone it down to 900 when stuff starts to go wrong in official missions. Also on "Camping" Mission 4 I think when berghoff drives u to the truck if u have the view on above 3000 u start to take fire from a tank or BMP or something with a gun. Which is a bit weird since nothing of the sort appears in the mission.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (smogmorph @ 23 Dec. 2002,15:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">700<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, CWC default view distance is 900m. smile.gif

Anyways. Some missions in OFP force me to change the view distance in almost every mission. CWC campaign is optimized for 900m. I edited a few campaign missions and optimized them for 1500m. It's impossible to optimize the campaign for more. Some missions would need a complete workover.

I didn't know the view distance was interfering with your enemy abilities, i thought it was just a graphic display option, Now i understand why i get shot by a russian officer i can hardly see in may aim !

it's quite a pity that you must choose between good-looking landscape and blind Enemy biggrin.gif

Yeah. Its actually well possible to "cheat" by toning the view distance down to about 0. For example say you need a good AT position but you know if you go for it the tank will see you. You could crank down the view distance till u get there and then put it up again. Of course I would never do something so lame.