KamptzickeXx

key bindings

who on earth designed this player control?
really now?
does the designer have had lose a bet or what? should it be as complicated as possible?

there are realy not enough keys on the keyboard, so we need to tap it twice or even with other keys together?
how can i change the key bindings? (even if a make a change, after contiued the game, all settings are gone. or does not work for me)
thats frustrating and make not fun at all. -.- please help me.

this games looks like fun, with all the physics, bullet drop and so on. i want to give this game a chance, but right now - dont know.

greetings

KampfzickeXx

(and sorry for the terrible english)

• Like 1

The key-binds take some getting used to, it's not like COD or battlefield where you have move, shoot reload and throw and that's it.  But after playing through the tutorials you should know the basic controls by hard. 

To change your key-binds go to: options > controls > whichever category you want to change and change whichever option you want to change.  Be sure that when you close the menu to change your key-binds you press on 'OK' and don't just press 'esc'.  That caused me a bunch of headaches as well :)

Regarding not saving settings, as stanhope pointed out, are you sure you are actually confirming changes and not just pressing esc or cancel? First click OK to confirm specific binding and then click OK to confirm all bindings and close controls menu. If that is not the problem then your configuration file might be read-only or something like that (by default: "My Documents\Arma 3\" or My Documents\Arma 3 - Other Profiles\ProfileName\". More on profiles here.

Now, first thing you want to do when setting controls is open 3d editor, place down a unit (make sure player is ticked: Right click on unit >> Attributes... >> Object: Control >> Player) and press Play Scenario.

Next press esc >> options >> controls >> presets and select a preset. If you hover the cursor over one you can read the description. Once you are satisfied with base preset, customize rest of keybindings from here. You can try out what specific actions do, hence why you are in editor.

Remember that you do NOT need to bind all actions. Most are duplicates for toggle or hold options and whatnot.

Management occupies many keys, but it doesn't prevent to use identical keys for different types of transport or the pedestrian movement. It is necessary to spend a lot of time, for change of functions of keys, for receiving comfortable access to functions \actions of the character. It is necessary to be attentive to the conflicts of keys, not always the conflicts of keys can reproduce the conflict. For expansion of use of the keyboard, use double pressing of keys in convenient situations.
In a root of the folder of a game there is a PDF document from which it is possible to unpack a convenient poster in use, with стандартнім management.
Anyway time for adaptation to management in a game is necessary.

thanks for answering me :)

i tried it a lot now, and i am nearly sure, i have had press "OK" to confirm my changes. at least i thought so *giggles*.
there are some keys that wont work either? like extra mouse keys (5-key mouse or 7-key mouse)? this is the first time, i get trouble like this. normaly i have to change 1 or 2 key's - thats all. maybe i need some more effort with this game.

thanks guy's :)

2 hours ago, KamptzickeXx said:

there are some keys that wont work either? like extra mouse keys (5-key mouse or 7-key mouse)?

I'm not familiar with your hardware but you may need to tweak some game specific driver settings for your mouse. I'm using Logitech G203 and both thumb buttons (#4 and #5) work fine in Arma 3.

In any case, you could set up macros so you can activate keyboard keys with mouse buttons.

2 hours ago, KamptzickeXx said:

this is the first time, i get trouble like this. normaly i have to change 1 or 2 key's - thats all. maybe i need some more effort with this game.

Well, of course. There is hardly any other game that represents so many aspects of warfare and more. From commanding your squad, drones or even platoons, to flying jets and smashing things with tanks.

That said, there could have been some streamlining done, that's for sure.