Devastator_cm

Artillery Config - misses the shot-

Hi Guys,

based on the vanilla artillery I made a new artillery setup but somehow the ballistic computer is not able to hit the position which I pick. Ammo is falling almost 100 meter away from the point which I pick.

Any idea what can be the issue?

Here are some updates

to setup ballistic artillery following stuff are needed (unfortunatelly there are not enough information in wiki)

1- ballisticsComputer for weapon set to 0

2- vehicle should have artilleryScanner = 1

3- turret elevationMode should be 2 or 3

4- Weapon should have  fire modes attribute set

5- each fire mode which is created should have following attributes set

artilleryDispersion => dispersion by each shot. Works same as standard weapon dispersion https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CfgWeapons_Config_Reference
  artilleryCharge => used to calculate the range of the specific fire mode. It's coef to shell initSpeed which is the base to generate different ranges

6- in model.cfg and config.cpp the gun needs to have elevation  bigger than 60 degrees to calculate the fire resolution correctly.

7- The thickness of the donut where artillery can fire (http://prntscr.com/kc4tli) is depending on maximum turret elevation and projectile speed

11 hours ago, Devastator_cm said:

6- in model.cfg the gun needs to have turning rate bigger than 60 degrees. (Although looks like vanilla artilery has 6 degree...)

There is no turning rate in model.cfg

artilleryCharge

it's coef to shell initSpeed

3- turret elevationMode can be anything I think

it should use either elevationMode 2 or 3

Thanks @reyhard, I adjusted initial post with these information :)

How is the elevationmode 3 is used? In wiki it says it can behave like 1 or 2 based on selection but I do not know how to make the selection between modes during the game..

What is the magic parameter artilleryDispersion is actually doing? I have a feeling it is increasing or decreasing the band where artillery can fire in a fire mode but how it works no idea yet...
What is the parameter which affects the accuracy of hit? In internet I can find information regarding which gun has what Circular error probable (CEP) but I do not know how I can make a setup to reflect this real world information in Arma..

Let's say if I have a gun which has 10 meter CEP, how the config should be done?

For turning rate I mean these stuff

class MainGun: MainTurret
            {
                type="rotationX";
                source="mainGun";
                selection="gunF";
                axis="gunF_axis";
                minValue="rad -5";
                maxValue="rad +40";
                angle0="rad -5";
                angle1="rad +40";
            };

39 minutes ago, Devastator_cm said:

What is the magic parameter artilleryDispersion is actually doing? I have a feeling it is increasing or decreasing the band where artillery can fire in a fire mode but how it works no idea yet...

it works same as dispersion

39 minutes ago, Devastator_cm said:

For turning rate I mean these stuff

that is elevation ;)

initial message updated :)

then what is affecting the size between two lines where we can fire with artillery? Which config is affecting the size of that area?

for Elevation, the default arty has such settings https://prnt.sc/kaacx9 right ?

In that case the 60 degrees stuff which you told me before is not a must to have? :(

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projectile_motion

You can twee it via changing speed with charge values. 60 degrees is minimum and then you have to make approximately 30 fire modes to cover some reasonable ranges. Just compare how it works with ie 80 degrees and you will see how it works

I use the same weapon in two different ships and having difference in the area where I can hit.
By area I mean the thickness of the donut. What is effecting that size actually? Something in turret config?

http://prntscr.com/kc4tli

Max turret elevation & projectile speed

• Thanks 1

Thanks again. I updated my second post in the thread.

Now I need someone who can create a new page in BI-Wiki for "Artillery Config Reference" to copy paste that thread to the wiki :eyeheart:

some more questions...

How to create guided shells? autoSeekTarget and  lockSeekRadius makes no difference although it sounds like if I set these parameters, shell look for the best target in the target area. In my test, I put an ifrit and fire such shell but they do not adjust their path to this vehicle.

In addition to that, although I have artillerydispersion set to 0.5 my shells are still not accurate like the vanilla artillery... What else is effecting the pin point shots?

I tried to lase the target and still no success even with vanilla artillery..

10 hours ago, Devastator_cm said:

I tried to lase the target and still no success even with vanilla artillery..

Vanilla auto seek artillery shells are IR guided

Is there no way to make laser guided arty shells in arma?

I set following in ammo config but had no success

weaponLockSystem=4;
        cmImmunity=0.30000001;
        autoSeekTarget=1;
        lockSeekRadius=500;
        laserLock = 1;

btw, vanilla arty was showing the ammo as laser guided...

http://prntscr.com/kcxn8r

there are two shells there guided one was really hit the vehicle which had engine on like you said but the LG version is not following laser beam at all

still had no success with Laser Guided arty shells. Is there anybody who built in this universe or any other parallel one LG arty shells in Arma 3 successfully?

Another point which I have as open at the moment is, normal shells are not that accurate.. Which factors (which config parameters or any p3d model related thingies) are impacting the accuracy of arty guns in Arma 3?

On 29/07/2018 at 10:13 PM, reyhard said:

Vanilla auto seek artillery shells are IR guided

That seems the explanation why a "guided" round (with support art module and scorcher) can strike a moving vehicle without lazing. thanks.