Sign in to follow this  
AdvanS13

Best video card for under $100

I don't have enough money to go all out, waiting for geforce fx anyways later. but what is the best i could get for under $100 right now?

don't want to spend much, that is my limit, i have better stuff to spend money on like beer. just need something good to hold me over till the fx comes out.

on a voodoo 3 right now, runs good, but not in resistence.

thanks,

brandon

Much of that depends on what the rest of your system looks like -- if your CPU can't keep the video card busy, you'd be wasting $100 bucks you could be spending on beer.

well, asus av7133sp?, 512ram, amd athlon 900mhz, voodoo 3

I'd got with a Geforce 3 Ti200, they are getting quite cheap and they are quite good.

The GeForce4 MX is a step down from the GeForce3 Ti cards; they do AA very well, but that's about it. Since a GeForce3 Ti200 is only slightly more expensive than a GeForce4 MX 420, I'd get the Ti200.

rgr that. i was just reading on ign, how the mx 420/44's aren't really geforce 4's...and the geforce 3's out do em....funny. i had one in my hand, and was in line with one yesterday (the mx420). and i forgot my id, and couldn't get it. luckily i didn't. after reading ign.

geforce 3 ti200. i will check it out. any other recommendations?

thanks

ya, thanks. speaking of pricewatch.com there is numerous g3 ti200's for 60-70$. is there any brands to stay away from? or are they all pretty decent?

im going to order today. there is also, ones showing ti200 with 128mb....weird. also has some g3 ti500's for 107-111. but im really tight on money, so i think i'll stick with the ti200.

I'd stay away from Visiontek (even though I have a Visiontek GeForce3 Ti200 myself).

Not because the cards are poorly made or don't perform, but because the company (which was the largest domestic NVIDIA card maker in terms of volume) went bankrupt and when it re-emerged under new ownership, decided to build cards based on ATI chips.

Thus, you may have problems with warranty claims.

ok, will this run resistence fine as well? i will order later today.

The GeForce3 Ti200? Yes, as I wrote earlier, I have one, and it gives good visual quality and frame rates with OFP.

If you can get a good deal on a GeForce4 Ti4200, I'd get that instead, but the GeForce3 Ti200 will do very well, and it's a good match for your CPU.

1.2 Ghz T-Bird

512mb Pc-133

32mb GeForce 2 MX 400

(mobo is one of the original VIA-133 chipsets)

Okie, I need upgrade, recommend away please.

Is the Radeon 9000 any good?  confused.gif

EDIT:AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*continuing shrill laughter*

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>GeForce 2 MX-400's with 128mb!!!</span>

OK AdvanS13, you have already made up your mind but for future reference for anybody else interested.

I have played Resistance with AMD 700 MHz TB 386 Mb RAM and GF MX 440 and you can do it with that...

I just recently updated my mobo(Epox VIA333), processor (AMD XP 2000+) and RAM (512Mb PC2100) but NOT my video card...

Ghost Recon with its add on disks is the most processor/video card intensive game I have and with GR my FPS rose from 20 (with all details set low and 800x600 res) to 85 (all details set high except shadows and 1024x768 res).

Games nowadays require quite a lot of processor power, especially games like GR and OFP so you can do with low end video card if your rig otherwise is up to date.

I do have to mention that you will lose some graphic details, like me, if your video card doesn't support DX9 (or even DX8 as in my case)

You won't loose any features with a card that doesn't support DX9 -- at least not for now. DX9 is just around the corner, but there are no games yet that take advantage of it.

hmm ya....well i heard the mx 440 sucks compared to g3 ti200. anyways, my voodoo3 runs the games fine, just cant turn up detail on resistence at all. and on coldwar i can max out details and it will run good...just not with tons of guys on screen. for example battlefield single mission.

im going with the g3 ti200. for $69. and gforce fx next year biggrin.gif