Occam's Razer

New to Arma Modding

Hello, Arma community. I've been modding for the last few years, and am looking into trying my hand at some Arma modding as well. I can tell this is a more nuanced process than the modding I'm used to. I did as much research as I could, but I've still got a few questions.

1. In which directory do I place the folders and files for my work-in-progress mod(s)?
  2. I'm getting the "Attach Failed" error from Bulldozer. I'd like to solve it, but is Bulldozer particularly necessary? Is there anything that I can't do without it?
  3. Since I have the .p3d exporter for Blender, do I need Object Builder overall? Are there any advantages to using it?

I followed this tutorial for setting up the dev build/Arma 3 Tools, in case it makes any difference.

Any help is appreciated.

some general advice:

1. join arma discord

2. use mikero tools

3. use arma3p to setup p drive and tools

4. try to avoid OB as much as possible - a few things have to be done with it in the end though

5. just in case you dont use it yet: https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/145290-arma-toolbox-for-blender-arma-23-exporter-script/

6. pbos are just a container - their internal prefix/namespace is what matters. its set from the relative path of the drive you set as source folder (p drive simplifies this somewhat); to test pack to pbo, put into .\A3\@Test\addons and run with -mod=@Test (or add @Test folder via A3 launcher as custom local mod)

PS: What type of mods/assets do you want to develop? WW2 or objects by chance?

I'll look into arma3p, mikero tools, and the discord. I actually do have that blender exporter you linked to. I'm not too clear on point 6; are you saying that mods aren't defined via a directory, but instead a file that points to the mod folder? If so, makes sense.

My current goal is to create an office skyscraper that has a mostly habitable interior. I'd like to say that recreating the original Die Hard isn't on my mind, but I'd imagine that some cool anti-terrorist/hostage crisis SWAT scenarios could be created from it as well.

6 hours ago, Occam's Razer said:

I'll look into arma3p, mikero tools

If you want stuff to work, you have to use them. The official tools are broke and crap.

Arma3p should be your first step, don't go skipping it because you seen a youtube video saying otherwise