mcduke45

Noob hoping to get some help with setting up a rented server for arma 3 coop

I'm interested in having our rented server run ArmA 3. We've been running Killing Floor because it allows up to 6 player coop which we prefer over mutliplayer. I didn't realize how many coop maps ArmA 3 has available with some allowing up to 10 player coop. The server we use to rent Killing Floor also has ArmA 3 available.

We use to run a server for COD and even the venerable Unreal Tounament so I'm somewhat versed in running a server, but I'm unsure on how to proceed with setting up a coop server for ArmA 3. Especially after I noticed all the mods available and packs out there. 

So I have some questions:

Would an ArmA 3 server automatically download the mods and maps to players if required? 

If I'm running one type of game that's using a mod, when the game switches to a different map ( game ) will it load only whats needed to the players, or is there any manual configuration needed? thanks

12 hours ago, mcduke45 said:

Would an ArmA 3 server automatically download the mods and maps to players if required? 

No, you'll have to download them and put them on the server yourself. (or let someone do it for you)

12 hours ago, mcduke45 said:

If I'm running one type of game that's using a mod, when the game switches to a different map ( game ) will it load only whats needed to the players, or is there any manual configuration needed? thanks

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here.

Which mods are active on the server is not determined by the mission that's running.  It's determined by the servers startup parameters: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Startup_Parameters#Server_Options

If you're running missions on vanilla maps they will indeed load automatically and do not need any manual configuration.

I guess I didn't do a good job of trying to explain myself (sorry). I do know that any mods, missions, etc. I would have to download and install on the ArmA 3 server, much like what i had to do when running them in UT or COD server. I know that ArmA 3 is based on more realistic combat and I prefer that. Other then the fast twitch UT game I never really cared for the run and gun of the games.

I remember the old MOHAA game didn't have the ability to download so my friends had to manually install any custom map used.

Since the vanilla maps will download to the player automatically are there many custom coop vanilla maps/missions?  I'm hoping to find 4 player and really hoping to find 6 to 8 player coop. 

Will custom mods and missions made by players also be downloaded from the server?

Thanks for your help. 

all missions hosted in the mpmissions folder are automatically downloaded by clients, mods are not

There is no built in mod manager (BI relies on steam to do it for them), there are 3rd party apps that you can use to host your own addon repository, eg arma3sync

everything you need to know can be found on the first post of the following thread

Thanks terox, I'll check it out then.

My friends and I have rented a server for Killing Floor as it's the only fps game that has up to 6 player coop we've been searching for something that allows up to 10 player coop. . It seems most are 2 player coop, or maybe 4. I then saw all the missions for coop that allow up to 32 or more players. That's insane!

The company we rent the server from offer ArmA 3, but  says ArmA 3 isn't set up to use redirect downloads for the addons created by players. Anyone know why Bohemia Interactive wouldn't have something like that built into the game?