kupcho

It worked before, but now...

I'll preface this with the statement that, I do understand a bit about scripting, but I am in not in any way, skilled or even very familiar with code type thingies.

Therefore, most of the missions I had put together were done entirely using things I could do directly from within the editor. I placed my units, gave them waypoints, set triggers and used the modules, etc...that were available.

Most of my earlier missions were never too complex, so it was usually pretty easy to get something up n running that way. Just point and click stuff without a need to call any scripts.

But...a while back, I did eventually start using some basic scripts I'd found in other folks work to make it a bit easier to do or to spice my stuff up a little using animations, etc...

The "FILL HOUSE SCRIPT v1.5 - by SPUn / lostvar" that I found in the "Operation Dagger" mission (from oneshot) was my go to script for quick town shoot'em ups.

Hell...half of my problems would disappear if I could just get THAT to work again.

But since the EDEN editor was released, none of my missions work any more, and I couldn't get the old scripts to do the things they did before.

So, in frustration, I gave up for quite a while (the loss of all of my missions really took the wind from my sails) and I resorted to only playing missions I found in the workshop.

And...for sure, there are some really great missions there, but so many of them require mods to run.

My group prefers to use the vanilla version of ARMA. Mods aren't a thing with us, so options are pretty limited as to which missions we can actually play together.

And, I also really miss the ability to slap together some new quickie firefights for the Friday Night Fights.

So...I've decided to give mission building another try...but I have a couple of questions;

1. Where do the folders go, that hold the short scripts I used before?

The scripts I used before were kept in folders inside the main mission folder (right along side the init...briefing...etc). But those folders aren't there anymore. I can't find them ANYwhere.

I tried to simply place some of the old folders inside the mission folder we get now (i.e. my folder inside the mission folder), but that didn't work either.

When the script is called, I get an error or the mission simply freezes and/or dumps me.

I don't understand where the scripts are kept now, so that I can call them when needed.

2. How do I determine if a variable is supposed to local or global? And which is which? Underscore is local or global?

I'm trying to use the spawnGroup function from inside a trigger (on activation). The group spawns, but I can't use the addWaypoint to get them to do anything other than stand around in formation.

An error comes up that I'm trying to use a local as a global (or the other way...I don't remember which right now). I tried entering the variables with and without the underscore, but it didn't make any difference.

Please be kind.

I've searched the tutorial vids, but most of them are for before the change. So they don't help much.

And I tried digging through the forums, but unfortunately, like the video tuts,  most of the posts here aren't updated so that we know what works in the latest "patch" and what does not.

So I apologize if the answers are here already, but after three days of searching and trying things from posts and/or videos from years ago, with no luck...I'm at my wits end and felt that I had no choice but to ask again.

Thanks for any help you can share.