Rich_R

Build a home server for Arma 3 - Yes or No?

I would like some advice and insight from the wise and informed Arma community on a home server. I've googled this and either found articles for hosting other games on a home server (a lot of minecraft it seems) or the ones that do relate to Arma are older and we all know how demanding the latest version is.

Pulling together the last few stages of possibly starting a new group and the issue of a gaming server needs to be resolved. At the same time, I'm cleaning out all my old computer bits and pieces and the wild thought of building a home server came to mind. My question is two-fold; physical and technical.

Physical

The pieces I have would allow for a i7-3930K, 16 MG of Ram if needed and a SSD to fit the OS, game and mod files on it. We are getting google Fiber which promises 1,000 Mbps upload and download speeds. From the older articles I've read I don't necessarily need an amazing graphics card and should be able to get by with the onboard video card.

Obviously the group would start with a small number of members but hopefully grow to 40+.

Would this set up work?

Technical

If yes, aside from building the PC (which I can easily do) how hard is it set everything up?

If all the above is bordering on a pipedream, are there any hosting services anyone would recommend. I would want server access to host a mod repository and teamspeak (which is why hosting it home would save a considerable penny : )

Thanks in anticipation of any thoughts and direction!

Not a pipedream at all, very achievable. I went through the same thought process you are going through now.

Physically you are good to go. My home server was built from scratch, rather from bits found, so I have a modern i3 with a high clock speed, but in all other respects, my srtup is the same as your proposal. I run TS on this box too. I use remote desktop to manage it, and an android app called remote system monitor to keep an eye on it. But you won't get to 40 members with this. The problem is not the bandwidth a domestic broadband can provide - it's the number of connections it will allow. These are limited by the ISP for domestic users. My cable is pretty much out of puff at 10 users. Again, not bandwidth, but number of connections.

I host my repository and bug/feature tracker using free providers, keeping them off my box. It has it's own steam account so that the game and mods are all easily updated.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback!

I went to the Google Fiber offices in Austin (quite nice really) and was lucky enough to find a gamer who worked there. He (unofficially) explained Google Fiber doesn't monitor connections and as @Tankbuster mentioned, bandwidth shouldn't be a problem. He felt fairly sure it could be run with as many as 40 on the home server. He even knew Arma which was cool.

Googles primary concern is someone running servers to do with piracy and of course a commercial server on the residential plan.

Does this sound legit?

That sounds about right.

Be careful with your choice of router too -  buy a good one.

Awesome!

Netgear Night hawk good?

I'd have thought so. I suggest looking for recommendations from other gamers, or splashing out on a business grade router

• Like 1