Sign in to follow this  
JJFLY

Finally!

From what I see, those soldiers lack the vest that is common in modern day us soldiers. PASGT Vest Info I see those vests in movies like Three Kings starring Ice Cube, George Clooney, and Mark Whalberg. george_clooney10.jpg

Look at Mark Whalberg and Ice Cube's shoulders. Thats the PASGT Vest!! Nam Pack 2 pilots are wearing one, as are the SEK units from the HK mod 1. I don't see why others get on the ball and include them. Check the info link as to why.

they are wearing more modern vests, not the 1990 ones, plus they are taken from ghost recon models, some demo some riflemen, which are very modern, and yes are ACCURATE

Several things:

The camo is a off.

Kneepads are huge -- they're more like shin pads in those pics.

The "black" tinted lens goggles need to be fixed... it should be a shade of grey and you should be able to see their eyes.

Black webgear is an extremely poor choice for desert environments. Black webgear is also not issue. OD/Woodland is issue. Black helmets are also bad and are not issued in black, with the exception of Pro-tec helmets. And many of those are spray painted over.

Is this is supposed to be a OP:Enduring Freedom campaign? If so, they may want to head on over to www.militaryphotos.net for reference. You'll rarely see anyone wearing any black gear, with few exceptions including the Polartec 300 ECWCS fleece jacket (originally issued as part of the SPEAR system to SF, although the jacket and perhaps the entire undergarment system is now being issued service wide). This jacket, incidentally, is really nice and comfy.

Also, the PASGT vest is no longer issued. Current issue body armor is the Point Blank Interceptor vest, which has PALS webbing stitched all around for MOLLE compatibility. LC-2 and ELBV gear is still issued, although MOLLE is being issued to services other than the Marines.

I'm not so sure ripping the GR skins is that great an idea... if I recall correctly, the gear they chose for the soldiers was mish-mash. I remember seeing RACK, MOLLE, LBT-1195J/K, etc. on different soldiers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Edgie @ Dec. 03 2002,02:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Several things:

The camo is a off.

Kneepads are huge -- they're more like shin pads in those pics.

The "black" tinted lens goggles need to be fixed... it should be a shade of grey and you should be able to see their eyes.

Black webgear is an extremely poor choice for desert environments. Black webgear is also not issue. OD/Woodland is issue. Black helmets are also bad and are not issued in black, with the exception of Pro-tec helmets. And many of those are spray painted over.

Is this is supposed to be a OP:Enduring Freedom campaign? If so, they may want to head on over to www.militaryphotos.net for reference. You'll rarely see anyone wearing any black gear, with few exceptions including the Polartec 300 ECWCS fleece jacket (originally issued as part of the SPEAR system to SF, although the jacket and perhaps the entire undergarment system is now being issued service wide). This jacket, incidentally, is really nice and comfy.

Also, the PASGT vest is no longer issued. Current issue body armor is the Point Blank Interceptor vest, which has PALS webbing stitched all around for MOLLE compatibility. LC-2 and ELBV gear is still issued, although MOLLE is being issued to services other than the Marines.

I'm not so sure ripping the GR skins is that great an idea... if I recall correctly, the gear they chose for the soldiers was mish-mash. I remember seeing RACK, MOLLE, LBT-1195J/K, etc. on different soldiers.<span id='postcolor'>

very good observations which i didn't want to go in detail

kneepads are correct

the black goggles are actually black, and textured like that

the black webgear is actual fairly accurate, i actually have a pic of one of my friends wearing that.

GR soldiers are actual really accurate i have great pics , that i wish i could upload to show some place, particularly the standard US troops pictured

Standard issue is LC-2 Y harness, ELBV, grenadier vest, SAW gunner pouches, and MOLLE II (this is all dependant on regiment, service, etc.) smile.gif

The above stuff won't be breaking OPSEC (heaven forbid), so it's no big deal.

As for the black gear thing, it may look "cool" but again it is no gear is issued in black. OD or woodland only. Black also stands out in any environment -- it is not a naturally occuring camoflauge color. smile.gif

Again, if this is supposed to be current issue (and in use in the 'Stan), then black is a no-no. Everything is either in OD, woodland, 3 color, or tan.

GR skins: I'm not sure which service you're trying to model here... I'm assuming Army? If it's infantry, then Y-harnesses, ELBV's, and MOLLE all the way. biggrin.gif

If you're going for uniformed SFODA, it may be prudent to slap Chinese AK harnesses on them, as this is what they are/were using there. Or SPEAR ELCS in WD/3 color.

Khaki pants, polo shirts, and photographer vests may also work if you're going to have VIP missions. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Edgie @ Dec. 03 2002,05:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Standard issue is LC-2 Y harness, ELBV, grenadier vest, SAW gunner pouches, and MOLLE II (this is all dependant on regiment, service, etc.) smile.gif

As for the black gear thing, it may look "cool" but again it is no gear is issued in black. OD or woodland only. Black also stands out in any environment -- it is not a naturally occuring camoflauge color. smile.gif

Again, if this is supposed to be current issue (and in use in the 'Stan), then black is a no-no. Everything is either in OD, woodland, 3 color, or tan.

GR skins: I'm not sure which service you're trying to model here... I'm assuming Army? If it's infantry, then Y-harnesses, ELBV's, and MOLLE all the way. biggrin.gif

If you're going for uniformed SFODA, it may be prudent to slap Chinese AK harnesses on them, as this is what they are/were using there. Or SPEAR ELCS in WD/3 color.

Khaki pants, polo shirts, and photographer vests may also work if you're going to have VIP missions. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Hey don't forget those little funky afghani caps that the CIA paramililitaries and some of the Dyncorp security guys are wearing in the "Stan" along with the Oakley sunglasses. smile.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Those units were actually issued a long time ago. Adammo released them as FBI HRTs and someone else converted them to Ghost Recon units for OFP. They ARE the best looking soldier models out there, but I agree, the textures that I've seen can be improved. And I still don't get the whole mask thing. When I was in the infantry, we NEVER wore masks. Too confining and no easy way to wipe the sweat from your face. I imagine in you were operating in CQB or MOUT it would be alright, but not in normal ops.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Dec. 03 2002,06:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Those units were actually issued a long time ago. Adammo released them as FBI HRTs and someone else converted them to Ghost Recon units for OFP. They ARE the best looking soldier models out there, but I agree, the textures that I've seen can be improved. And I still don't get the whole mask thing. When I was in the infantry, we NEVER wore masks. Too confining and no easy way to wipe the sweat from your face. I imagine in you were operating in CQB or MOUT it would be alright, but not in normal ops.<span id='postcolor'>

Because it looks "cool". And seems like everyone's still fixated on BHD (the movie), so just about every Delta/Ranger in works right now is a copy of '93 Delta/Ranger. sad.gif

Personally, I find the INVASION 1944: FIELDS OF GLORY soldier textures to be the most realistic of the OPFP textures so far...

Everyone gets the WW2 gear right, but no one gets the current (i.e. what's being used TODAY) gear right. sad.gif

I can only imagine what people will slap on Marines w/ MARPAT textures... more black vests? Yuk.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Edgie @ Dec. 03 2002,05:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Standard issue is LC-2 Y harness, ELBV, grenadier vest, SAW gunner pouches, and MOLLE II (this is all dependant on regiment, service, etc.) smile.gif

Khaki pants, polo shirts, and photographer vests may also work if you're going to have VIP missions. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

can i have a pic of the black webgear or a link to it?, i mean ya i noticed it in one pic but i wanna know the exact pic your looking at

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Edgie @ Dec. 03 2002,07:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Dec. 03 2002,06:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Those units were actually issued a long time ago. Adammo released them as FBI HRTs and someone else converted them to Ghost Recon units for OFP. They ARE the best looking soldier models out there, but I agree, the textures that I've seen can be improved. And I still don't get the whole mask thing. When I was in the infantry, we NEVER wore masks. Too confining and no easy way to wipe the sweat from your face. I imagine in you were operating in CQB or MOUT it would be alright, but not in normal ops.<span id='postcolor'>

Because it looks "cool". And seems like everyone's still fixated on BHD (the movie), so just about every Delta/Ranger in works right now is a copy of '93 Delta/Ranger. sad.gif

Personally, I find the INVASION 1944: FIELDS OF GLORY soldier textures to be the most realistic of the OPFP textures so far...

Everyone gets the WW2 gear right, but no one gets the current (i.e. what's being used TODAY) gear right. sad.gif

I can only imagine what people will slap on Marines w/ MARPAT textures... more black vests? Yuk.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree...but even the Somalia-era gear is more accurate then the gear I've seen on recent U.S. forces addons like the ones in the latest HK pack which I thought were a huge disappointment. sad.gif

I hope that any future mods will also include regular infantry in Afghanistan type gear. An example is:

e_8201.jpg

Also note that many soldiers only have one elbow pad or one knee pad. (Although some units have them wearing the pads on both arms and knees). This is probably to save weight on long marches because generally a soldier goes prone hitting the ground hard with only one knee and elbow. But the pads are quite big and actually those earlier pics of the addons do seem more or less accurate. But I just wish they could refine the model or the textures a bit more so that they don't look quite so rough and instead, more refined like the SEB NAM soldiers. The SEB team did an absolutely incredible job on both their soldier models and on the uniforms and equipment that those troops are carrying. I hope that modern U.S. forces will have similar detail levels. Also someone please note in the pic below how small the M4 rifle is that he's carrying. All the M4 models I've seen have all be too damn big. Only KKB has produced an accurately sized M4 but unfortunately he never released a version with a scope. I'll have to get after him to see if he can do that. For those of you who say it's impossible to do, there is a solution..simply extend the telescoping butt-stock. That's what KKB did on his in order for the left hand to hold the rifle properly.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Dec. 03 2002,19:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Edgie @ Dec. 03 2002,07:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Dec. 03 2002,06:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Those units were actually issued a long time ago. Adammo released them as FBI HRTs and someone else converted them to Ghost Recon units for OFP. They ARE the best looking soldier models out there, but I agree, the textures that I've seen can be improved. And I still don't get the whole mask thing. When I was in the infantry, we NEVER wore masks. Too confining and no easy way to wipe the sweat from your face. I imagine in you were operating in CQB or MOUT it would be alright, but not in normal ops.<span id='postcolor'>

I can only imagine what people will slap on Marines w/ MARPAT textures... more black vests? Yuk.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree...but even the Somalia-era gear is more accurate then the gear I've seen on recent U.S. forces addons like the ones in the latest HK pack which I thought were a huge disappointment.  sad.gif

I hope that any future mods will also include regular infantry in Afghanistan type gear.  An example is:

e_8201.jpg

Also note that many soldiers only have one elbow pad or one knee pad.  (Although some units have them wearing the pads on both arms and knees).   This is probably to save weight on long marches because generally a soldier goes prone hitting the ground hard with only one knee and elbow.   But the pads are quite big and actually those earlier pics of the addons do seem more or less accurate.  But I just wish they could refine the model or the textures a bit more so that they don't look quite so rough and instead, more refined like the SEB NAM soldiers.  The SEB team did an absolutely incredible job on both their soldier models and on the uniforms and equipment that those troops are carrying.  I hope that modern U.S. forces will have similar detail levels.    Also someone please note in the pic below how small the M4 rifle is that he's carrying.  All the M4 models I've seen have all be too damn big.  Only KKB has produced an accurately sized M4 but unfortunately he never released a version with a scope.  I'll have to get after him to see if he can do that.  For those of you who say it's impossible to do, there is a solution..simply extend the telescoping butt-stock.  That's what KKB did on his in order for the left hand to hold the rifle properly.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD><span id='postcolor'>

Hell when i was in, i always wore two knee pads and one elbow pad on our excersises, God i miss the army.

And in respect to the Delta Force comment, well with BHD being so popular did u expect nething else when it came to delta's?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JJPHAT @ Dec. 03 2002,21:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hell when i was in, i always wore two knee pads and one elbow pad on our excersises, God i miss the army.

And in respect to the Delta Force comment, well with BHD being so popular did u expect nething else when it came to delta's?<span id='postcolor'>

I actually made one of the first BHD mission. It wasn't real popular because it was so slow frame-rate wise because of the large # of objects I used to try and simulate Mogadishu (and not very well I must admit), but it used the early SEB Delta Force unit addon.

As for knee and elbow pads... ack... I've used them also not too long before I got out of the service and hated long marches with them. Fortunately we mainly used them for construction work (while doing masonry) and only when they became in vogue, did we use them during combat training. You get rashes from hell with those things especially in high humidity. The desert BDU's have those big open sleeves so they can allow air in to keep your arms cool, but the elbow pads don't allow for much of that. But in rocky terrain, I guess they're better then having your knee-cap or elbow torn up by landing hard on a rock. sad.gif

At any rate, I don't miss road marches and moving M2's and MK-19's up hills, and setting up tents in blinding rain, doing PMCS, and getting frost bite, and ant bites, and KP, and nearly getting run-over by armored vehicles, ect.. ect.... hehehe. But yeah the Army was still alot of fun. smile.gif

Essayons!!!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD> (Ex. 51B, Army Corp of Engineers)

Edgie the body armor in that photo is actually green. Going again back to the fact that spec ops do not wear black vests. If you look at the sun glare effect on his shoulder you'll see its a lighter green. Don't try to tell me its a reflection of the ground either.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (peanuckle_00 @ Dec. 04 2002,05:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Edgie the body armor in that photo is actually green.  Going again back to the fact that spec ops do not wear black vests.  If you look at the sun glare effect on his shoulder you'll see its a lighter green.  Don't try to tell me its a reflection of the ground either.<span id='postcolor'>

If you look at the rest of the website with all those pics from Afghanistan however there are a few pics of troops carrying black rucksacks and I think there might maybe be one or two pics of some soldiers wearing black body armor. I've also seen U.S. Marines wearing black Type-IV body armor by the way. Nevertheless I agree that it would be better to stick to the most common color patterns used on current uniforms and equipment.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Dec. 03 2002,16:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">At any rate, I don't miss road marches and moving M2's and MK-19's up hills, and setting up tents in blinding rain, doing PMCS, and getting frost bite, and ant bites, and KP, and nearly getting run-over by armored vehicles, ect.. ect....   hehehe.      But yeah the Army was still alot of fun.   smile.gif

Essayons!!!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD> (Ex. 51B, Army Corp of Engineers)<span id='postcolor'>

I totally agree. It was a lot of fun, but I don't miss it a lot of it. Especially road marches. I hated those. I once had a CO that made us road march in the snow for 10 miles the morning of our company Xmas party. My skin always, always, always came off along with my socks after road marches. Putting on my Class As with those stupid oxfords was not easy that night.

I do miss all of my buds, though. And the occasional fun firefight - especially at JRTC. That place was a blast. Getting buzzed by Mi-24s and shooting up terrorist bar-keepers. lol.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Edgie @ Dec. 03 2002,07:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No black webgear, just fleece jackets:<span id='postcolor'>

We called 'em bear suits. I've never seen anyone wearing black gear in my entire six years as an infantryman (leg and air assault, Guard and Active). Even when I was with the SF in Kuwait (weapons and MOUT training - I wasn't a Green Beret or anything) they NEVER wore black. Even their CQB helmets (like Delta Force in BHD) were spray painted tan. Not a bit of black on them. They did have really cool jump suits and pirate patches, tho.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Dec. 04 2002,07:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We called 'em bear suits. I've never seen anyone wearing black gear in my entire six years as an infantryman (leg and air assault, Guard and Active). Even when I was with the SF in Kuwait (weapons and MOUT training - I wasn't a Green Beret or anything) they NEVER wore black. Even their CQB helmets (like Delta Force in BHD) were spray painted tan. Not a bit of black on them. They did have really cool jump suits and pirate patches, tho.<span id='postcolor'>

That's what I've been saying on a few OFP boards...

But people insist on using black while still calling their unit addons "realistic".

I'm glad to finally see some BTDT's coming out to set things straight, though. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (peanuckle_00 @ Dec. 04 2002,05:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Edgie the body armor in that photo is actually green.  Going again back to the fact that spec ops do not wear black vests.  If you look at the sun glare effect on his shoulder you'll see its a lighter green.  Don't try to tell me its a reflection of the ground either.<span id='postcolor'>

Dude...

http://www4.aixgaming.com/opend/Special_Forces-Afghanistan/c_sfa17

Right?

The *body armor* is very clearly black. The webgear they are wearing over it is, indeed, green.

Again, there are few exceptions, and like someone else pointed out, there are pics of guys with black rucksacks. But for the most part black is a Really Bad Color to wear for field ops. And even worse to wear at night.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Edgie @ Dec. 04 2002,11:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (peanuckle_00 @ Dec. 04 2002,05:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Edgie the body armor in that photo is actually green.  Going again back to the fact that spec ops do not wear black vests.  If you look at the sun glare effect on his shoulder you'll see its a lighter green.  Don't try to tell me its a reflection of the ground either.<span id='postcolor'>

Dude...

http://www4.aixgaming.com/opend/Special_Forces-Afghanistan/c_sfa17

Right?

The *body armor* is very clearly black. The webgear they are wearing over it is, indeed, green.

Again, there are few exceptions, and like someone else pointed out, there are pics of guys with black rucksacks. But for the most part black is a Really Bad Color to wear for field ops. And even worse to wear at night.<span id='postcolor'>

Yup...looks black or dark blue to me aside from his web gear... maybe he's color blind?

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Has anybody seen any good modern day troops in woodland camo? (no marines and no GR units)