JeremyFisher

Arma 3 good pc bad fps issue

One of the reasons i bought a new PC was arma 3, now i have a different better new Gaming PC but i get some deja vu FPS drop spikes like nothing, the problem is my friend with normal setup can play and record the game at the same time with stable FPS.
My specs:
CPU : I5-7400 @ 3.00 GHz (4 CPUs)
RAM :  8192MB

GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050  / 8GB total Memory
Windows 10 64bit

When i record other games with nvidia shadow play replay feature i feel no different at all, but on arma it dropes from 41 FPS to 29 instantly and outside of cities (on Altis Life Mode) even tho recording is off i still get freezing 1 FPS for 4 secondes when getting near a town, could it be my settings is something wrong ? should i let go of Arma 3 ?

Impossible to say; too many missing variables to diagnose. Need more info, and your RAM is too low. Only 8GB? If investigating in gaming, always dial up the RAM. Biggest bang for your buck. You should be running 32 or 64GB minimum (Win10 64bit can go much higher).

That being said, even the best gaming rigs can choke if running bad scripts, mods, and/or too much action and AI on the map. Since ArmA is technically classified as a simulation, it will often bog down from over-processing the environment. Every bullet, fish, blade of grass, wind, eyeballs, stars, etc.

You have to balance your rig with your settings, mods, map setup, etc, and find your 'sweetspot'.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 1:46 AM, JeremyFisher said:

One of the reasons i bought a new PC was arma 3, now i have a different better new Gaming PC but i get some deja vu FPS drop spikes like nothing, the problem is my friend with normal setup can play and record the game at the same time with stable FPS.
My specs:
CPU : I5-7400 @ 3.00 GHz (4 CPUs)
RAM :  8192MB

GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050  / 8GB total Memory
Windows 10 64bit

When i record other games with nvidia shadow play replay feature i feel no different at all, but on arma it dropes from 41 FPS to 29 instantly and outside of cities (on Altis Life Mode) even tho recording is off i still get freezing 1 FPS for 4 secondes when getting near a town, could it be my settings is something wrong ? should i let go of Arma 3 ?

If you only have problems while recording... you can stop recording while playing...

Also turn down the quality of the recordings and see if you experience imrovements.

I have an OC'd i7 7700k with a GTX 1080 (and 16GB DDR4 RAM and game is on an SSD) and I still chug quite a bit with ArmA. Sometimes you just gotta shrug and go "ArmA, amirite?"

Size of the RAM does not matter... Memory latencies matter more than anything else.

See below: Even with a 5 GHz i7 7700k you only reach ~47 FPS in YAAB when your RAM is slow while you can reach more than 60 FPS with a 3.8GHz Ryzen when the RAM is fast (3200MHZ CL14-14-14-26-42 in this case).

3ePovRf3JC9c.png

3ePybDSFumKu.jpg

If you have good RAM settings, you have good ArmA3 performance.

Your drop in Performance while recording is probably for the same reason, you're spending Memory performance on this, you have memory accesses giving latencies a hit and you only have 4 cores anyway.