Sign in to follow this  
rekrul

DS - MOTD and hostname

I have this problem when running a DS that I don't get the MOTD nor the hostname up. This is what I have in my server.cfg:

hostname="Norwegian Whalers' OFP server";

motd[]={"Norwegian Whalers' OFP Server",

"----------------------------",

"Testing...",

"- Lurker"};

I've also tried with a comma after "-Lurker" (as the DS documentaion is contradictionary on this field) but that didn't help.

If you run a DS server and get the hostname and/or MOTD up, please post the lines you use and wether or not you are behind a NAT router/firewall (running 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x or 10.x.x.x IP on the server).

Any ideas to help would be welcomed. :)

-Rekrul

This is one of the configs I use on my ded. server. It only serves for my lan (not for the internet):

hostname = "Gandalf [Co-Op]";

passwordAdmin = "control";

voteThreshold = 0.75;

motd[] = {"", "Server: Welcome to Gandalf [Co-Op]", "Server: Playing all Co-op missions", "Server: VoteThreshold is 0.75", "Server: Admin is zovirl (zovirl@hotmail.com)"};

motdInterval = 3;

class Missions

{

class Mission_Coop_ShadowKiller

{

template = 1-4_C_SHADOWKILLER.ABEL;

cadetMode = 1;

};

class Mission_Coop_LostSquad

{

template = 1-6_C_LOSTSQUAD.ABEL;

cadetMode = 1;

};

class Mission_Coop_ReturnToEden

{

template = 3-9_C_RETURNTOEDEN.EDEN;

cadetMode = 1;

};

class Mission_Coop_OilWar

{

template = 1-7_C_OILWAR.EDEN;

cadetMode = 1;

};

class Mission_Coop_DesertAmbush

{

template = 1-8_DESERTAMBUSH.ABEL;

cadetMode = 1;

};

};

Are you passing path to your server.cfg via -config=server.cfg command line option? What is exactly your command line?

I'm not running any commands in the command line. I just execute the OFP_Server.exe. However my passwordadmin, reportingip and more is accepted. The server.cfg is placed in my OFP folder where the OFP exe and OFP_Server exe is.

I recon this info (hostname and motd) is passed on port 2234 like the rest of the game and not the DirectX ports? I'm behind NAT and have only opened 2234 (and 2235 for GameSpy) and everything else works like a charm.

-Rekrul

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm not running any commands in the command line. I just execute the OFP_Server.exe. However my passwordadmin, reportingip and more is accepted. The server.cfg is placed in my OFP folder where the OFP exe and OFP_Server exe is.

I recon this info (hostname and motd) is passed on port 2234 like the rest of the game and not the DirectX ports? I'm behind NAT and have only opened 2234 (and 2235 for GameSpy) and everything else works like a charm.

<span id='postcolor'>

It is normal part of game comunication, it is passed exactly the same way as all chat messages and all game network traffic. The problem is certainly not firewall related.

You need to pass server.cfg as command line option. If you do not, no server config is loaded, no admin password is applied and you can login with any password thinking it works. Reporting IP is set to master.gamespy.com by default as well, and it is also working with Gamespy without any intervention.

Rekrul has been playing to much CS

No offense, but RTFM... ;-)

Btw, if you downloaded 1.30 in an early stage of it's release you didn't get the M's in RTFM... Suma posted a link to them somewhere else... can't remember where though...

Actually I hate CS, and I have RTFM although I did DL the 1.30 patch only a few days after it was released. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can provide _additional_ command line arguments when running a dedicated server:

-config=<config_file> <span id='postcolor'>

As with every other DS I presumed this was just an option to vary the configanames and it would load the default server.cfg if you didn't, but it obviously wasn't.

Thx Suma, I'm sure that will fix the problem.

-Rekrul

(Edited by Rekrul at 3:22 am on Dec. 15, 2001)

(Edited by Rekrul at 3:23 am on Dec. 15, 2001)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As with every other DS I presumed this was just an option to vary the configanames and it would load the default server.cfg if you didn't<span id='postcolor'>

This is what i meant with you playing to much CS... =)

And congratulations for VBS1 goes to BIS, and I hope we don't get forgotten now...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Rekrul on 3:20 am on Dec. 15, 2001

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can provide _additional_ command line arguments when running a dedicated server:

-config=<config_file> <span id='postcolor'>

As with every other DS I presumed this was just an option to vary the configanames and it would load the default server.cfg if you didn't, but it obviously wasn't.

<span id='postcolor'>

Folowing lines can be found right below the line you quote, in explanaion of -config option:

Select server configuration file (see below).

Default: No configuration file; all parameters have default values.

Yeah I noticed that afterwards. smile.gif However my point is that most other MP games, use the default .cfg supplied with the game so I didn't bother to read the syntax for it when I saw it was only an additional command. It works like a charm, now so thanks.

-Rekrul