_SCAR

Using p3d files from Arma in a mod?

Dear all,
As some of you might now, together with other members we're building a custom terrain called Kastellorizo. We're very happy on how things are developing, and we are looking forward to releasing this terrain to the community, though this will be after Malden is out.

In the main city of Kastellorizo there are colored houses, as in many typical traditional greek cities. Red, Salmon, Yellow, White, and the sort. However I'm encountering an issue as none of us is a modeller, and all the tries to create colored houses have really not been successful. Unfortunately there's no way to use setObjectTexture to change the textures on Arma buildings; hence, the closest we got is with the shop included in the Arma 3 Samples. However, this basic model does not have proper LOD set up and hence really is unusable (when players are near to these shops, their FPS drop dramatically).

I realize I'm entering some legal area, and that's why I'm asking the question here. In my wildest dreams I hope to get a positive response from some BI developers / representatives: we are only trying to release a non-commercial ArmaOnly mod to the community, and we really hope this can be done. :)

Basically, we've realized that it would be pretty simple to change the paths to the textures in the binarized p3d shop model included in the A3/structures_f/households folder. A simple find/replace of paths on the p3d file would do the trick. Therefore, it would be then possible to colorize the shop textures, and we would have the colored houses models!

Please understand that I'm not talking about un-binarizing the original p3d file, reverse-engineering or anything like that: we would in no way be able to modify the model itself, or export it to other formats, or any other thing of the sort. Though, since this would be a modified version of the original p3d file, it would need to be packaged and included in the .pbo of the terrain mod and distributed in this way.

Can this be done? We have done a serious effort in creating a replica of the real Kastellorizo, and it wouldn't be the same without colored houses... But we want to do the right thing and ensure that this would be legal to do before we even try this out. 

Looking forward to your inputs,

_SCAR

No it's not possible to retexture a3 models. And certainly not to include them in your mod to DL. 

Why not make your own models then you can apply any texture you want. 

Or st the very least use the a2 models they released and retexture them. 

• Like 2

The A2 models are either east or rural homes, nothing of the like that we can really use. If this cannot be done then we'll have to fallback to white houses. Such a pity. 

did you check the new one that are available with the new malden island - dev branch until 22nd when it is released on stable...

if not, making your own structures is the way to go

• Like 1

I've checked, they are only 3 colors and for those I'd have to add a 6GB dependency to a 200MB self-contained terrain.

As I said: pity, after all I'm just trying to contribute, with thousand of hours of work; this is a legal matter so I will adapt, obviously. 

3 hours ago, _SCAR said:

I've checked, they are only 3 colors and for those I'd have to add a 6GB dependency to a 200MB self-contained terrain.

As I said: pity, after all I'm just trying to contribute, with thousand of hours of work; this is a legal matter so I will adapt, obviously. 

you really don't seem to follow: you do not add any 6gb dependency. Malden will be part of ArmA3, just like the other 2 islands besides Tanoa which is part of the expansion.

there is no legal matter, it's a technical matter: you simply cannot change textures to existing houses...

15 minutes ago, PuFu said:

you really don't seem to follow: you do not add any 6gb dependency. Malden will be part of ArmA3, just like the other 2 islands besides Tanoa which is part of the expansion.

Ok, thank you for clarifying, as I thought this was going to be a free DLC which would require an additional download. I will consider using those then even though, as stated, they only are 3 additional colors.

15 minutes ago, PuFu said:

there is no legal matter, it's a technical matter: you simply cannot change textures to existing houses...

It is not a technical matter, i *know* how to change textures (as I've explained here above). However, this implies packaging modified arma 3 models into my own mod, hence my original question.

27 minutes ago, _SCAR said:

It is not a technical matter, i *know* how to change textures (as I've explained here above). However, this implies packaging modified arma 3 models into my own mod, hence my original question.

no, i mean you cannot change the textures using hidden selections (technical). what you want is not allowed (hex editing and re-packing BI content for redistribution) - legal.

again, you always have the option to make your own custom structures.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PuFu said:

what you want is not allowed (hex editing and re-packing BI content for redistribution) - legal.

That was my question. As stated, I do not want to do it if it's illegal, which you are telling me this is.

Thank you,

_SCAR.