Sign in to follow this  
OntosMk1

Russian strike aircraft....

I'd be happy with either smile.gif. But whichever you choose to make, here's a few more pics to help with texturing the cockpit.

Su-34:

su-34-panel_01.jpg

And a couple more shots of the Su-30 front and back:

su-30mkk-front.jpgsu-30mkk-back.jpg

Hey hey, woe hold on guys. Don't forget the good ol' Su-24 Fencer. The Su-30 and Su-34 aren't widely used these days due to their cost, however the Su-24 has been used for awhile and is still the primary medium bomber used by the Russian Airforce. It's basically a copy of the F-111 Aardvark however it's made a lot more rugged. Like the Su-34 it has side by side seating, carries a huge amount of bombs and has terrain avoidance radar that is also used for targetting.

I think that overall the Su-24 Fencer would be the best heavy ground attack aircraft for OFP as it covers the cold war period and more modern times as well. As far as I know it's still going strong in the Russian Airforce.

It looks like a big Mig-23 but it's actually a much different aircraft then either the Mig-23 or the Mig-27 as it's larger, has better electronics, has side by side seating, and has a much larger weapons payload.

Info availabe at: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/su-24.htm

su24_01.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

you have a good point Miles Teg...

but i would enjoy doing the su-34 or su-30 more...even the mig-29...i have a lot of info on mig-29...if im to make it..i have tons of plans for it...it will be extremely detialed..more than my f-15..yet less polys... i just need something fun to work with. and the su-24 is more "suitable" ..but does the OFP comunity realy will apreciate it for what it is?

cheers

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Nov. 21 2002,04:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's basically a copy of the F-111 Aardvark however it's made a lot more rugged.  <span id='postcolor'>

*sigh* Here we go again, just because two planes look alike smile.gif. The Su-24 is no more a copy of the F-111 than the Tornado, or than the Rafale is  of the Saab Grippen. You would think that once it came out that the MiG-29 had a lot of it's own unique innovations and wasn't  a copy of the F-18 or the F-15, that this myth of the Russians simply copying ariplanes would die. I would like the Su-24 in OFP, but more than that i would like an aircraft for the Russians that can also serve in the AA role. West already has the F-14, F-15 (soon) and F-16. So far the Russians have a MiG-29, and even that isn't very usable at this point.

well i think after the TU-4/B-29 saga when something looks like a western aircraft, its assumed its a copy...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 21 2002,05:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">*sigh* Here we go again, just because two planes look alike smile.gif. The Su-24 is no more a copy of the F-111 than the Tornado, or than the Rafale is  of the Saab Grippen. You would think that once it came out that the MiG-29 had a lot of it's own unique innovations and wasn't  a copy of the F-18 or the F-15, that this myth of the Russians simply copying ariplanes would die. I would like the Su-24 in OFP, but more than that i would like an aircraft for the Russians that can also serve in the AA role. West already has the F-14, F-15 (soon) and F-16. So far the Russians have a MiG-29, and even that isn't very usable at this point.<span id='postcolor'>

When I say copy, I'm speaking in very general terms. You are right it is definitely not an identical clone of the F-111. However it has a very similar design, and has an identical mission and purpose as the F-111. It shares much more in common with the F-111 then the Tornado for example. Like the F-111 it has it has a swing wing design, side by side seating of the crew, has a similar weapons payload, and has terrain-avoidance radar systems and all-weather day/night attack capability. Like the EF-111, there are also electronic warfare variants of the Su-24 as well.

But as you said, that's pretty much where the similarities end. The Su-24 is overall a fairly original looking design. One of it's strong points is its ability to take off from rough unprepared airfields. I read once an interview with Russian pilots who talked about the Su-24, and they really loved the plane for its ruggedness and low-level precision attack capabilities. It would be more work to create then the Su-34 (due to its swing-wing design which an addon maker may choose to animate like that F-14 addon that came out) but it's a very good aircraft for OFP.

su24m-1.jpg

If not that perhaps the Mig27?

There are some nice pics of the Mig-27 at:

http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/vvs/mig27-01.htm

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I think that a SU-17 FITTER (SUKHOI) would be ok, it is a Fighter/Ground Attack aircraft.

su-17-line.gif

su17_02.jpg

But really i would love to see someone make a Mig 31 'FireFox',  tounge.gif

dogfight.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ZIKAN @ Nov. 21 2002,16:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But really i would love to see someone make a Mig 31 'FireFox', tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That or the MiG-28 from Top Gun tounge.gif

i think im gonna make the Mig-29. Simply because it is inthe cold war era..and tons of countries use the mig-29..and its a good fighter. and we need it in OFP. and the ones that are available..i either dont like them..or u cant fly them.

cheers