Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

The Forgotten Battles

Yep, it's a safe bet if you see DayGlow on a board it's me. Doesn't seem to be a popular name for some reason confused.gif

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Nov. 11 2002,18:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yep, it's a safe bet if you see DayGlow on a board it's me. Doesn't seem to be a popular name for some reason confused.gif

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

I think I saw you in a flame war on a Splinter Cell board a while back lol

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaron Kane @ Nov. 10 2002,18:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm really looking forward to the ME262.  The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that it only carries 100 30mm. rounds sad.gif  Maybe the ground attack variant will help me ration my ammo better, since it has two 30mm guns.  But thats still more than enough.

And theres some other Russian plane, its a heavy bomber.  It has an open cockpit, and looks sort of boxy.  I forgot the name, but it looks really cool too. smile.gif  I think it was the T-3 or something, I dunno.

And the British Hurricane looks really awesome too.  In fact, I'm looking forward to all the lend-lease planes.

Now I need to buy a new joystick! Wo0t!<span id='postcolor'>

If memory serves, the top pair of Mk-108's has 100 rounds, the bottom pair has 80 rounds.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 11 2002,03:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just hope they add some kind of visual cue that let's you know when your plane is on fire. I like the MiG-3 on 1942 servers, but the damn thing is incredibly flammable and I never know that I'm burning until I'm thoroughly fried in the cockpit tounge.gif

<span style='color:red'>*edit*</span> Besides that...2 words...Dynamic Campaign!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif!<span id='postcolor'>

Tovarish, where do you fly and at what time GMT?

I'd love to fly against some of the forum regulars.

<<On HL, same name.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Saturnalia @ Nov. 11 2002,22:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Tovarish, where do you fly and at what time GMT?

I'd love to fly against some of the forum regulars.<span id='postcolor'>

I fly on HL under "Kubinitz" (Tovarish was taken tounge.gif). Well, usually between 6-11pm Eastern time (-5 GMT), but with college I just have no time lately...it's middterm season, and finals won't be too long after sad.gif. Anyways, anyone here who wants to get a game of IL-2 or Ofp going sometime, my msn is itsfreezingcold@hotmail.com You can get a hold of me there and maybe I'll have an hour or two to kill smile.gif (Just keep in mind that 60% of the time I'm in a college lab) tounge.gif

Funny thing about IL-2, I love it, yet Im really bad at it. I am good when things like stalls and flutter effects are turned off, but if all the realism is on, Im real bad. I turned everything on then made a quick mission between a Yak-9 and a I-153. I flew the Yak-9 and I was shot down by the I-153!

Thtas only becuase 1). I tried a head-on appraoch and 2). Whenever my plane moved my stupid sights moved around. Thats a problem with IL-2, all the planes basically use the same gun-sights! Sure, each plane has the sight in a diffrent place, but the actual sight(the orange circle) is identical plane to plane!

Look on the IL2 board and get Olegs joystick settings, really help with aiming and stalling. Planes fly much better in full realism after applying them.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Nov. 12 2002,05:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Look on the IL2 board and get Olegs joystick settings, really help with aiming and stalling. Planes fly much better in full realism after applying them.

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

URL, pretty please? smile.gif I could use better joystick settings

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Saturnalia @ Nov. 11 2002,22:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaron Kane @ Nov. 10 2002,18:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm really looking forward to the ME262.  The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that it only carries 100 30mm. rounds sad.gif  Maybe the ground attack variant will help me ration my ammo better, since it has two 30mm guns.  But thats still more than enough.

And theres some other Russian plane, its a heavy bomber.  It has an open cockpit, and looks sort of boxy.  I forgot the name, but it looks really cool too. smile.gif  I think it was the T-3 or something, I dunno.

And the British Hurricane looks really awesome too.  In fact, I'm looking forward to all the lend-lease planes.

Now I need to buy a new joystick! Wo0t!<span id='postcolor'>

If memory serves, the top pair of Mk-108's has 100 rounds, the bottom pair has 80 rounds.<span id='postcolor'>

OH, I thought it was 100 rounds total, which meant like 25 rounds per gun. Well, if they have as much ammo as you say, then I dont have anything to worry about smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Nov. 12 2002,05:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2). Whenever my plane moved my stupid sights moved around.<span id='postcolor'>

That's my main problem in IL-2! I can usually get on someone's six allright, but then I find it damn near impossible to hold the gunsight steady for a good burst mad.gif . It's really frustrating to spend time in a full realism server stalking someone, only to have your tracers fly all around your target harmlessly in what was supposed to be one quick, unexpected and effective pass, giving you away.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Look on the IL2 board and get Olegs joystick settings, really help with aiming and stalling. Planes fly much better in full realism after applying them.

<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks for the heads up...I took one look at the joystick settings when I first installed the game and decided it was too complex to make sense of it. I'll give these a try when I get home.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 12 2002,18:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Nov. 12 2002,05:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2). Whenever my plane moved my stupid sights moved around.<span id='postcolor'>

That's my main problem in IL-2! I can usually get on someone's six allright, but then I find it damn near impossible to hold the gunsight steady for a good burst  mad.gif . It's really frustrating to spend time in a full realism server stalking someone, only to have your tracers fly all around your target harmlessly in what was supposed to be one quick, unexpected and effective pass, giving you away.<span id='postcolor'>

heh , you said it , full realism server , do you think it's that easy to shoot down another airplane with a wooden flying coffin equiped with hydraulic commands flying in highspeed altitude winds and that has a lot of engine torque ??

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Nov. 12 2002,18:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">heh , you said it , full realism server , do you think it's that easy to shoot down another airplane with a wooden flying coffin equiped with hydraulic commands flying in highspeed altitude winds and that has a lot of engine torque ??<span id='postcolor'>

Hey, I know, but other people seem to be able to keep their gunsights straight tounge.gif. Mine behave as if I'd finished off half a bottle of vodka before takeoff

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 12 2002,18:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Nov. 12 2002,18:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">heh , you said it , full realism server , do you think it's that easy to shoot down another airplane with a wooden flying coffin equiped with hydraulic commands flying in highspeed altitude winds and that has a lot of engine torque ??<span id='postcolor'>

Hey, I know, but other people seem to be able to keep their gunsights straight tounge.gif. Mine behave as if I'd finished off half a bottle of vodka before takeoff<span id='postcolor'>

i think it's caused by the pilot's head movements

i think there's a key , (just like the V in ofp with the dkm's bronco addon) that will zoom on you sight

I find the best way is to use the up/down bob to your advantage. Basically I get close and when the plane in front goes into a bank a little diflection and the up/down movement moves my shots across one wing through the fusalage to the other wing. Get some really good hits.

Oleg's settings really help as well. It's softer in the middle with less responsiveness so if you have some light movement on the stick you can really zero your shot. Also I find that the Russian planes with their green tracers a lot easier to see where your shots are going. I like flying the German planes, but the muzzle flash plus tracer colour makes it really hard to see where your shots are going.

Also online I really follow Hertmens(sp?) tactics. I don't turn fight. When I take off I fly away from the battle go gain alt and then come back and just circle the furball looking for a target, then I come screaming down for a slashing attack. I try to never go past a 45 deg bank to follow a target. If I do I disengage, hit WEP and climb until I'm back to 200km/hr at alt again. I then take my coffee break as I look for another target. I don't get that many kills, but I stay alive a long time and I find it fun. For T&B nothing beats the Pe-8.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Nov. 12 2002,18:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

i think it's caused by the pilot's head movements

i think there's a key , (just like the V in ofp with the dkm's bronco addon) that will zoom on you sight<span id='postcolor'>

Yep, but that's way too much zoom, any movement and you'll loose sight of your target. The field of vision is as if you're looking at the gunsight through a drinking straw. I know the bob has something to do with it, but I'm also certain that my stick, as it is set up now, is too sensitive to small movements. So I'm hoping Oleg's settings help.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Also online I really follow Hertmens(sp?) tactics. I don't turn fight. When I take off I fly away from the battle go gain alt and then come back and just circle the furball looking for a target, then I come screaming down for a slashing attack. I try to never go past a 45 deg bank to follow a target. If I do I disengage, hit WEP and climb until I'm back to 200km/hr at alt again. I then take my coffee break as I look for another target. I don't get that many kills, but I stay alive a long time and I find it fun. For T&B nothing beats the Pe-8.

<span id='postcolor'>

I normally fly Russian planes (MiG-3 or I-16 in very early servers), sometimes La-5 but I'm starting to enjoy  the challenge in something that dosen't turn as well. When I fly German, I'm experimenting a bit with the FW190's with some success I may add smile.gif. People seem to consider them death traps in IL-2, but that's only true if you T&B. Otherwise they can shrug off a few hits you may take while B&Zing. In either case, I fly as close to the ground as I can untill I see an enemy fighter against the sky. You'd be surprized how many times, by doing this, I can get on their tail without them noticing me. And if I happen to have the 190-A8 with two Mk108's....well, not even my drunken aim can save them.

I have the 3 zooms mapped to a hat on my throttle. at the start of a engagment I'm usually zoomed all the way out to see as much as possible. Once I get them in my forward hemisphere and pressing the attack I go to normal zoom. Gunsight is only used if I'm attack from around 300m on a non-manouvoring target or to get a quick glimps of the attitude of a target. With padlock a quick peek on the zoom can tell you where his nose is going and his E state.

Ahg. I could never fly against the ground. No where to go if you get pounced. At least at alt I can dive away and then scream back up into the merge if I find someone on my six. People usually get board chasing you around the map so the disengage after you extend from the fight a couple of times.

COLINMAN

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Nov. 12 2002,19:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ahg. I could never fly against the ground. No where to go if you get pounced.<span id='postcolor'>

Fly towards a forest and stay as close to the top of the trees as you can smile.gif. Any pilot chasing you will usually put at least 90% of his concentration on getting you centred on the sight, and will not notice that he's aiming his nose slightly downward and gradually loosing altitude. It might not count as a kill for you, but I consider it that way, and it's saved my skin a few times smile.gif.

shooting at an enemy plane frmo 300 meters is just a waste of bullets in my opinion and the only thing you do achieve is let him know you're on his tail. Get to within 70 meters and shoot when you're know it's gonna count. He won't have a chance.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Nov. 12 2002,20:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Get to within 70 meters and shoot when you're know it's gonna count.  He won't have a chance.<span id='postcolor'>

You would think so wouldn't you? But when I stalk someone I get as close as I dare, and i open fire only when i think my engine noise may give me away (at the same time I can hear his engine)...by this time his plane usually fills my gunsight quite nicely, I have MG's set to converge at 100m and cannon at 200m (pretty close compared to most people). The funny thing is, sometimes my aim is steady and dead on, other times....well, it's all over the place. I'm pretty convinced it's my stick.

You can set the guns to converge at a certain distance? How do you do that? Sorry just got the game so I'm not too familiar.

By the way what are those "extensions" on the front part of the wing on some German planes I've noticed. As if the front part of the wing slided front/back. I can't even seem to find the key on controlling it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Nov. 12 2002,20:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can set the guns to converge at a certain distance?  How do you do that?  Sorry just got the game so I'm not too familiar.<span id='postcolor'>

If memory serves me rights it's in the "Armament" option on the briefing screen. The default setting is something like 500m for both I believe....way too far tounge.gif.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By the way what are those "extensions" on the front part of the wing on some German planes I've noticed. As if the front part of the wing slided front/back. I can't even seem to find the key on controlling it.<span id='postcolor'>

I believe the technical term is "Leading Edge Root Extenstions" or LERX's. AFAIK they are controlled automatically.

Thanks. I do wish however that they would have supplied the game with a better listing of the weapons and airplanes. Center-mounted cannons obviously don't need convergence, only wing mounted weapons. Besides the weapon list for each aircraft is different and is only identified by a name, no description, specs or a picture. Makes it a hassle for those who aren't hardcore soviet or german WWII aviation experts.

i always set my gun convergence between 750m and 1000m

mainly because i don't wanna risk myslef with bomber's tailgunners and also because eve at short ranges , you can hit in that configuration