Devastator_cm

findEmptyPosition with checkVisibility

Hi Guys,

anybody knows a command which can be used to find a position where a target can be shot.
I couldn't find such command and it looks like I need to handle such case via findEmptyPosition and checkVisibility.

My goal is to find the best shooting position for AI unit to hit a target

Can you be a bit more elaborate ?

I myself have used checkVisibility with succes

_visibility = [objNull, "VIEW"] checkVisibility [eyePos player, eyePos (crew _x select 0)];

if (_visibility > 0.5) then {
    }

I guess you could let the AI move a few meters, check the target area for visibility, if it is greater then a treshold in the above case 0.5, that would be the best position.  1 being the best 0 being not visible at all.  I'm not saying this will be the most efficient way to do it but it could work ?  If this is what you want to do of course.

or you can use champ-1's idea who beat me five seconds to the punch ...

4 minutes ago, champ-1 said:

I think you might look into BIS_fnc_findOverwatch function.

Thanks looks like that function do not checks if found position is ok to fire or not.
Still I might adjust it maybe with checkvisibility to have that criteria

1 minute ago, celludriel said:

Can you be a bit more elaborate ?

I myself have used checkVisibility with succes

_visibility = [objNull, "VIEW"] checkVisibility [eyePos player, eyePos (crew _x select 0)];

if (_visibility > 0.5) then {
    }

I guess you could let the AI move a few meters, check the target area for visibility, if it is greater then a treshold in the above case 0.5, that would be the best position.  1 being the best 0 being not visible at all.  I'm not saying this will be the most efficient way to do it but it could work ?  If this is what you want to do of course.

I have a Tank and when it finds enemy it should move to a nice position around enemy (i.e. random postion around100 meter from target) where it can fire

Ok here is how I would approach this problem.

as soon as the enemy is found following algorithm would kick into action:

- Use shkPos to find a random position on the edge of a circle around the target

- Use checkVisibility from that location to the target if it passes a certain treshold confirm the position

if not use shkPos again to find another position, repeat until a good position is found

- Move the tank to that position and check again with checkVisibility if the position is still valid, if not repeat above process

- When all conditions are met, make the tank engage

I'm not sure if I missed something, but this sounds a valid strategy to me.