Sign in to follow this  
Antichrist

Acceptable lod

What do you think is acceptable LOD for weapons and vehicles

So the game will run smooth on any machine

I know we can make 10000 polys model of a chopper, but will people be able to play the game with it

Your thoughts

I got the codes, but amazingly I'm still catching up in the forums before I go and take a look smile.gif That said, I don't know if Oxygen imposes a poly limit for any given object, but there have been many threads on this subject, and most seem to agree that for a land vehicle, 1400 - 1500 polys is tops, a little less for air vehicles and I forget what the basic soldier is at.. 600?

Basically, I feel many models in OFP have polys where I'd loose them because they don't add to the vehicle what they take away in framerate, so maybe I'm nazy about stripping polys, but I like it that way smile.gif

Konyak

I'm not sure, but i remember the player models having about 1200 polys in LOD1.

And as far as I know a weapon should have 6 LODs, planes and helis about 15/16 I think..

Generally spanking the model till it has bleed off all it's precious round corners... no one cares how good it looks if the framerate drops to slide-show level.

I know myself it's hard to limit... but I think its very important to maintain the official LOD levels.

I've also noticed that OPF's phong shading is rather good and leaves much room for texture-based shadows and highlights. Most surfaces will look totally smooth.