oldbear

High CPU & GPU utilization on GUI

From the start on Arma3 CPU & GPU utilization on GUI is quite high, it's even higher now since APEX with updated GUI :

1xuUP7C.jpg

GUI screen from gaming rig n°1 : i7-7700K/GTX-1060

Nothing to do, just launch the game and once it's open on GUI let the cursor on one of the 3 animations on mid screens.

ATM, I am using this as a stress test for cooling PC case management :

jmfksOJ.jpg

How it looks on HWInfo & Afterburner on gaming rig n°2 : i7-4790/GTX-770

I believe it will be better to get less CPU & GPU utilization on GUI.

The usages are high because you're getting 151 fps on a very simple scene where's nothing going on. This is normal.

If this is a problem for you, you could avoid leaving the main menu open, or limit the fps with some 3rd party program or vsync.

For me, it's not a problem ... as said I am using it as a stress test for cooling PC case management.

As I have some knowledge of mechanisms involved behind the scene in Arma 3, I know it can be considered "normal", nevertheless, I am wondering if it would not be possible for Devs to enhance this User interface.

I assumed it was an issue because this post is in troubleshooting section. 

BI could make the intros more demanding to lower the CPU/GPU usage (hehe) or artificially  limit fps in the menu like some other games do. I know the engine can already do that natively just fine. (The FPS cheat command)

There is a remaining problem: why GPU works at max (high speed vents for my GTX 970) for a simple (long) paused game? I can read everywhere Arma is CPU demanding, and I guess it's right, but why so much heat in GPU while paused (or in lobby or any where else in Arma)?

Just now, pierremgi said:

There is a remaining problem: why GPU works at max (high speed vents for my GTX 970) for a simple (long) paused game? I can read everywhere Arma is CPU demanding, and I guess it's right, but why so much heat in GPU while paused (or in lobby or any where else in Arma)?

Because when the game is paused or displaying the light main menu, your CPU can produce a lot of frames per second for the GPU to render. Just like in the image in the first post, the fps can be as high as 150+. This is enough for most GPUs to work at 100%. In normal gameplay the cpu can't output such framerates so any decent GPU doesn't even break a sweat to render it.

• Like 1

Thanks for your answer. Is there any mean to limit FPS for a NVIDIA card? I guess there is no reason to spill resource for more than 40 FPS (which should be large enough for my brain velocity). And, as my computer runs at 30°C / 86°F, I looking for a way to limit useless activity (except playing at Arma).

42 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

Thanks for your answer. Is there any mean to limit FPS for a NVIDIA card? I guess there is no reason to spill resource for more than 40 FPS (which should be large enough for my brain velocity). And, as my computer runs at 30°C / 86°F, I looking for a way to limit useless activity (except playing at Arma).

My card can get a bit too loud under stress so I limit the fps in some games with MSI Afterburner. It's also my temp/usage/fps monitor and screenshot & video recorder.

52 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

NVIDIA has adaptive vsync. I use it pretty much everywhere.