Sign in to follow this  
Jakalth

Vindicator vtol fighter

Hello everyone. Newbie allert. wink.gif hehe

Anyways, a friend of mine has me interested in moding OF and I had an idea for a non-exsisting aircraft. The basic concept is based on the Orca fighter from the Command&Conquer series of games but I tried to make it unique looking. It's basic design is mostly complete but no weapons, landing gear, or cockpit have been added in yet. I would like to know what you think of this design and if there is anything noticable that could use modifying.

Vindicator.jpg

This is my first attempt at making an OF model so I don't really know how many polygons can be used or what all is needed in the model.(like the inside of the cockpit??) It currently has 957 polygons. Also, is the 16 blade fans(each one being a seperate piece), in the engines, too much for OF?

er...200,000 polygons....maybe on a screen, but per vehicle you are looking at 2-4000 for the first lod as maximum, then dropping off in about five stages down to 100 polygons

Thats actually good to know.  Thanks. smile.gif  one thing, how detailed would the cockpit need to be to fit in with whats already available?  I was thinking of equiping it with a pair of single barrel 20mm cannons and some form of anti-armor missile.  This should add a little more detail the the fighter, which is actually more of a ground attack then an air to air fighter.

Do you think it would look alright to give it non-retractable landing gear?  Or should I find a place to add in recesses for fully retractable landing gear?

Its kind of interesting since I only have the demo of operation flashpoint at the moment.

from the looks of it you want it to act like a helicopter? with that simulation you can only have a static landing gear, probably better than two 20mm would be some kind of gatling gun as ofp only allows for one gun 'barrel' on a model in ofp, you could also allow it to spin creating a novelty in the addon

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ Oct. 29 2002,13:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">from the looks of it you want it to act like a helicopter? with that simulation you can only have a static landing gear, probably better than two 20mm would be some kind of gatling gun as ofp only allows for one gun 'barrel' on a model in ofp, you could also allow it to spin creating a novelty in the addon<span id='postcolor'>

You can have animated landing gear for helis. You just make costum anims.

Aah yes, thanks. I was planning on having it act like a hellicopter. The only real difference that this craft would have over a hellicopter would be speed. In theory, a craft designed like this(using lift jets instead of a rotor) should be able to reach much higher speeds then a hellicopter. Nothing as fast as a true aircraft, but enough to allow it to get in and out of the battlefield quicker.

Unless the animation can be done using basic scripting, then I think i'll stick with static landing gear.

Hmmm, since there is a limit to a single turret weapon I guess I could try adding in a nose mounted vulcan cannon or something similar. I really should start looking into the script(cgi?) files for this game and figure out how it all works. It might even be possable to trick the game into thinking that 2 different guns are actually the same gun. This just depends on how much of the weapon controls are pre programed into the game files and how much can be controled by the script.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Frugo_PL @ Oct. 29 2002,21:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ Oct. 29 2002,13:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">from the looks of it you want it to act like a helicopter? with that simulation you can only have a static landing gear, probably better than two 20mm would be some kind of gatling gun as ofp only allows for one gun 'barrel' on a model in ofp, you could also allow it to spin creating a novelty in the addon<span id='postcolor'>

You can have animated landing gear for helis. You just make costum anims.<span id='postcolor'>

no, you cant, not without only activating them from the ground(and thats buggy from inside the helo) anyway, the way sefe did it will not work on helicopters, he/she already mentioned this...

We were also trying to figure out what kind of a cammo scheme to put onto this unit once it's ready. We are looking at a spec op black version, perhaps woodland, jungle etc etc...

Prob is, I'm as much a noob for skinning as Jak is for modelling(at least when it comes to Op Flash) We both have experience in our areas but for another game.

How are you guys getting your textures(the good ones)?

CT

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How are you guys getting your textures(the good ones)?

<span id='postcolor'>

We make'em ourselves wow.gif

Well, I guess that is going to be our weak point for the time being... I may be able to make decent models(though I still have much to learn), but my texture skills are lacking... Especially when it cames to actually making the textures. sad.gif At least CanadianTerror is a little better then I am.

Anyways, here is what I have for the landing gear so far. The reason the bars look large is due to the fact that they have drag reducing sleeves. I just looked at the landing gear on the apache and the british lynx for an idea on what to make it look like. Also note: I tilted the engines to what they could look like when the craft is at cruising speed.

Vindicator2.jpg

does anything seem out of scale? It is only a single seat craft.