Sign in to follow this  
MyersTheShape

Normals, faces, ....

Hi there!

Now im working with this Tutorial "How to create an M16" but I really dont understand many of that what is written there.

As you are holding down the left SHIFT key slide your mouse to the RIGHT or LEFT. This will make a copy of the vertexes that you currently had selected. Now you have side two. You will need to create FACES for each set of vertexes. You can see at selected side some blue strokes - normals. The normals or blue lines need to be pointed outside the model and not into it. If it is pointed into it you will not see the face. If it points outside then you will see the face when they are created.

Now i have the 2 sides of the first part of the gun. But I dont understand the rest of the text. "Create FACES for each of vertexes" What do I have to do? And there are this blue strokes. I know they are called "Normals" but I really have no idea how to continue with this tut... I hope someone of you can explain me this step better than this tut...

Big thanks!

Greetings Shape

ah yes ... there are pics in this tut of an "Extrude" function... in other threads someone wrote that this function doesnt exsist ...

so what now?

Shape

Normals is what makes your model look.... eh, normal.

I would recommend that you d/l a 3D application and model in that before exporting to 3DS and then import that file into O2.

Anim8tor is free, and can save .3DS files

http://www.anim8tor.com I think

The direction in which the normal points, is the direction from which you can see a polygon (face). For instance, if you have a simple plane in Oxygene and take a look at it in Bulldozer, you will realize that it is only visible from one side (the side in which the normal points). From the other side it is simply invisible. With the W key you can change the normals direction. To create a "fake" double sided polygon, simply copy and paste a face, and change the normals direction.

I'm not sure what you don't understand. If you have three or four vertexes (points) you can make a face of them. The vertexes are the edges of the new polygon then.

I hope this helps you. If not, try to specify your problems a bit more.

Till later, PSC

P.S.: And yes, there is no real extrude function in Oxygene Light yet.

Thank you very much PSC!

That was what i dont understand! I couldnt change the direction of this "normals" ... My gun was invisible on one side ...

Thanks again for help smile.gif

Shape