Sign in to follow this  
Zodi4c

Brightness pain in the neck

Yes, I searched the forum for it, but to no avail. Here's the deal:

Im having major troubles with the gamma/brightness. The night time missions are impossible to complete, due to the blackness.

I tried several solutions:

1) Turn the brightness/gamma in the game way up. No help.

2) Raise the gamma in Display Option in Windows XP before I boot Operation Flashpoint.

3) Raise the gamma/brightness using nvMAX.

Outcome:

1) Helps a bit, but still not enough.

2) I can change the gamma, but whenever I go into the game, it resets it to the original values (???)

3) Same as 2. OF just overrides everything.

And unfortunatly, the mission I am in doesnt give me Nightvision goggles, so thats not an option either.

Are there any start-up switches that I can possibly use?

System stats:

AMD 950 MHz

384 MB SD RAM

Geforce 2 MX 64 MB RAM

SoundBlaster Live! 1024

Direct X 8.1

Windows XP Professional

Operation Flashpoint: Upgraded using Resistance CD

Resistance: Version 1.85

Also, all the patches I download for OF dont seem to work when I execute them. I execute them, a little CPU and HDD activity, and nothing.

I tried DL-ing em several times, and I tried a CD with the patches on em, but to no avail. Is it because of Windows XP?

its probable its a incompatibility with XP but im not sure

ive heard of problems with XP

I'm running XP Pro on a Dell C840 Lattitude notebook with no problems.

The only time I saw a problem was when I took my kid's home computer to the office and used an old IBM P92 17" monitor. Then, even the daytime brightness was very subdued.

When I brought the PC back home and plugged it into our nothing special Nokia monitor, the brightness was back to normal.

What monitor do you have? Have you maxed the monitor's brightness (not OFP's and not your GeForce driver's)?

I think the problem is with the particular combination of hardware you have.

I have an ATI video card and Dell monitor at the office, and I've never been able to get an acceptable level of brightness from those two. At home with a NVIDIA GeForce3 and Illama monitor, all is well.

I think the GeForce2 MX supports Digital Vibrance, and I would suggest you try enabling that at its maximum setting. You can also adjust the brightness and contrast for the GeForce using the NVIDIA extensions of the Control Panel, which would be in addition to any tweaking you do in OFP.

Aah, problem solved. I Downloaded Powerstrip. I searched again, using a different string.

Still not perfect, but it'll do. And its a confusing program

And if anyone of the development team reads this:

Please, please increase the gamma and brightness sliders in the Video Options screen.

Thank you.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Zodi4c @ Nov. 06 2002,04:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Please, please increase the gamma and brightness sliders in the Video Options screen.

Thank you.<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know about that, for most people the sliders are set up perfectly... confused.gif

Its most likely a problem with your monitor since someone else has stated they have trouble with that make of monitor aswell. Maybe having a look on the manufactors site for drivers or www.windowsxp-drivers.com

Other than that just look at all the system things such as BIOS etc...etc...etc

I had a GForce MX200 and when I upgraded to XP from 98se it was always a problem. It would not run any games, it kept on re-setting the mobo. I know this not your problem but there is a problem with certain mobo/gfx card combos and XP. I got a MSI mobo and MSI Ti4600 and not a single problem works a dream.

I have a similar problem when I alt tab to windows and back my screen goes very dark. I have to go back into the video options and turn up the brightness.

I have an ATI 7500 all in wonderful, it seems to happen on a friend computer same vid card.

Hehe, I didnt even say what monitor I have biggrin.gif

But I have a generic one, and a dark one at that. Its brightness is now 85% of 100%, and increasing it doesnt make much difference.

But as I said, its solved.

Guest BratZ

BTW there are usually gamma settings in your display properties (video drivers)

If these are set too low in windows then wouldn't matter how much a game supplied gamma settings.

A display utility (nvmax etc...) changes these settings and not the one within games.

Sounds like your fixed up now ,but if its not bright enough, change the gamma within your display settings in windows and use the gamma adjustment that are usually within games as a fine tune.