FireWalker

How to create random markers that attach to static triggers?

I need a little help.  This is for Multi Player Environment.

1. Lets say I have 10 triggers that spawn enemy AI when a player is within the individual bases zone.

2. I want to let the players know where these enemy spawns are, but I want to keep it random for replay value.

3. So, lets say that on any given mission I want three of the AI bases to show up on the players map as a marker. (same bases will show for all players)

4. But, I want the three markers to be random on each play through, and I want all 10 bases to always spawn - so if they stumble upon them, there is still surprise factor - on the players.

I'm thinking I just need to name the triggers individually and place them into an array..  but I need help with that. I would assume it needs to be done on server, because if it was local all the players would see different markers.?

As I type this, I'm thinking it might be easier to just spawn random triggers that have markers already attached? I'm not really sure how to proceed, but the above gives a good outline.

Thanks for any help,

Fire

Here's a script I did for "random" ammo caches, which is kinda the same thing you're doing.  I have 10 caches preplaced on the map and this script goes in and deletes the ones I don't need.  Then it puts down markers at the remaining ones and spawns sentry group at each.  Might give you some ideas.

if (!isServer) then {exit;};

// input
_ammoCacheCount = _this select 0;

_ammoCachePool = [ammo0, ammo1, ammo2, ammo3, ammo4, ammo5, ammo6, ammo7, ammo8, ammo9];
_ammoCacheRemaining = [];

for [{_i=0},{_i<_ammoCacheCount},{_i=_i+1}] do {
	//
	_ammoCache = selectRandom _ammoCachePool;
	_ammoCacheRemaining pushBack _ammoCache;
	_ammoCachePool deleteAt (_ammoCachePool find _ammoCache);
};

{
	deleteVehicle _x;
} forEach _ammoCachePool;

{

if (true) then {
		_rMarker = createMarkerLocal [format["mrk%1", _x], getPos _x];
		_rMarker setMarkerShapeLocal "ICON";
		_rMarker setMarkerTypeLocal "Minefield";
		myMarkers pushBack format["mrk%1", _x];
	};

if (true) then {
		[getPos _x, east, (configfile >> "CfgGroups" >> "East" >> "OPF_F" >> "UInfantry" >> "OIA_GuardSentry")] call BIS_fnc_spawnGroup;
	};
} forEach _ammoCacheRemaining;
  • Like 1

Here's a script I did for "random" ammo caches, which is kinda the same thing you're doing.  I have 10 caches preplaced on the map and this script goes in and deletes the ones I don't need.  Then it puts down markers at the remaining ones and spawns sentry group at each.  Might give you some ideas.

Kylania, thank you! This looks like a great start in the right direction. I'm out of town tomorrow, but looking forward to messing around with this on Sunday.

Fire