Sign in to follow this  
HeroesandvillainsOS

Way to find "the real" missing addon?

Well the nightmare is over (no thanks to the error messages).

I finally managed to get my hands on the mission.sqm in which I then deleted the Binarized Addons section and repacked up the files. This is after downloading every mod again which was still unsuccessful. After deleting the lines in the mission files, using the same exact mods allowed the mission to open.

There really needs to be a better error message system in place. It should tell you what object is missing and shouldn't be slaved to some workaround like this. I was fortunate in my case that the file itself wasn't Binarized and that the mission maker is my friend. If this was just some random workshop file, I never would have been able to open it, even though I had the necessary Addons the entire time.

I meant to update this thread. After being able to finally play the mission in question on my client in SP thanks to mission.sqm editing (as previously discussed here), as mentioned in the post above, I still could not play the same mission on my unit's server due to missing 3CB content.

As a last ditch effort, one of my squad mates suggested I just redownload 3CB Equipment. I was like, "it can't be that because the mod hasn't updated in a year!"

He was like, dude, do it.

So I reluctantly did it...

And it worked. My 3CB Equipment mod had somehow corrupted. Figured I should update the thread incase someone finds it on Google someday. Sometimes the simplest answer is indeed the answer. :(

I have read through this topic and several others regarding a missing file here and one there, thus causing EDEN to not launching a mission map and of course a scenario. I can't tell you how frustrated I am with this since last weekend I created two missions for my nephew, taking 6-7 hours on each, and then finding today when I went back to add a script, they would not load- four files missing of which I have no idea what addon they are from. I had not touched this particular computer since working on them on the weekend and find this ridicules. Unfortunately, I had the binarize option on.

Anyway, am I to understand correctly that by choosing not to binarize my work in EDEN, I do have the ability to edit out the missing objects in the SQM file with say, Notepad ++? I have to admit, I have not created any mods for Arma 3, but am not new to the game, I used to play Arma2 during my time in the army. I am not new to modding, but I mostly do texturing and stuff like that - blender is not my friend! I really enjoy creating scenarios for my nephew to play and sometimes I sneak in a long game myself, but find I don't care to make anything elaborate if it is just going to trash it on me later when I have not removed a single addon, nor changed it's launch order.

Perhaps someone from BI could explain as to why if an addon is missing, the whole cog needs to stop? Why not continue with the mission/map editing without the addon (if not crucial) so a mission editor can correct it in-game? I have seen many other games when missing a mod or texture just continue on, overriding the error and allowing the mission to play out without the missing mod. I can't see this being a difficult thing to fix, but I am no a coder. 

PS- If anyone knows of an addon/ etc that will allow the overriding of errors, please educate me! PSS- Both myself and my nephew DO NOT play online, we both prefer single player or campaigns modes, so there would be no server issues to deal with.  Thanks for reading my exceptionally long rant!

It's frustrating to say the least. I was fortunate enough in this instance to have been able to remedy things by redownloading a mod and also having access to the unbinarized mission.sqm.

I wonder if any tools can unbinarize the binarized missiom.sqm for you?

What are the errors you're getting? Is it a specific error or Is it pointing to a specific mod at all in the box with the required addons? The ones missing I *think* will be marked in red.

If you literally made these a week or so ago I'd assume the fix should be relatively simple. I'd guess you're missing a mod or that one of them needs to be updated or whatnot. I'd also try verifying your game file through Steam.

What mods did you have in your launcher when you originally made the mission?

Thank you for your reply Heros, but alas I have to sheepishly admit that I am a moron.

I have literally 100+ addons and must use ArmA3Sync to launch and keep track of them. I had inadvertently unclicked the Esseker map which contained the missing items that I had used in the Urals map scenario. I had gone through the list multiple times, and yet missed that one unticked item. How I realized this was by searching my two Arma3 addon locations with the names of the missing items and bingo, SAR_ru showed up in the Esseker folder. Well if they are there, why are they not in game? Go back to the launcher specifically looking for Esseker, and bingo, unchecked box. I should book an appointment with an optometrist!

But my point still stands, if a non critical item is missing, why not at least start up the map scenario in EDEN so the user can edit the item out instead of going through this? I do admit much of the blame is on myself because due to work, I am away from home for months at a time, so updating addons is difficult. Having modded in many other games outside of Arma, I really appreciate those who do it here. I find the map making process fairly difficult to be honest considering I have made some large maps for Farming Simulator 15 in my spare time. Funny, I enjoy making maps more than actually playing them, so thanks to those who dare to create for Arma3.

• Like 1