jdot11

CAS support attacking ground units

I'm working on a mission and to get cas support to attack ground unit that are on foot. I can figure out it for the death of any help or pointing me to the right direction will be appreciated.

Attach a lasertarget to every unit you want to be engaged.

If the CAS unit is west, the proper target name is "LaserTargetW".

Works wonders.

Cheers

Press / to open Group Chat.  Then type:

hey jim, we're going in on foot.  Hop in the wipeout and provide cas for us?

Then press Enter.

Or just use voice comms.  Press your Push To Talk button (configurable in Options or within your favorite out of game communication program) and scream into your mic:

I swear on me mum james, if you don't fly your sorry ass over here and take out that building in the ne corner marked with red smoke, I will END YOU!

• Like 1

Attach a lasertarget to every unit you want to be engaged.

If the CAS unit is west, the proper target name is "LaserTargetW".

Works wonders.

Cheers

Will work for making a A-10 or AH60 to do a gun instead of shooting missiles or dropping a bomb? 

Will work for making a A-10 or AH60 to do a gun instead of shooting missiles or dropping a bomb? 

I know exactly what you mean.  I would love some function to get an AI piloted jet to basically do what the CAS module for Zues does, without spawning in a plane.  Just feed it an azimuth and a position AGL and the AI flies and does a gun run from that angle.  But accomplishing this is so difficult.

I have worked on this in the past with the A-164.  I had limited success with getting the A-164 to hit a laserTarget with its gun.  I basically disabled almost all the Wipeout's AI, told it to target and watch (or maybe lookAt) the lasertarget.  Then I ran a loop to wait until the Wipeout was aimed at the laserTarget, and forced weapon fire once it was.

It felt pretty hacky, worked only half the time when the AI was feeling generous, and while shells landed near the target, it didn't look or feel realistic. 

Doing this with the Blackfoot was much more successful, because the Blackfoot could aim its turret rather than having to override the movement of the vehicle entirely to aim.  

I am working on something similar and will try using Agents rather than Units in the pilot seat to see if I can get more scripted control over them.  I would really like to get the Blackfish to fly in a wide counterclockwise circle and target infantry with the gun, which is just as much of a pain in the rear.  

You would think BIS would just alter the config files to make guns and rockets more attractive to use against infantry, but apparently that would make things too simple.

You could try removing all the other weapons.  I think I've done that in a  mission and iirc it forced it to use the gun.