Sign in to follow this  
Jester983

Top gun

I remeber my dad telling me that when he was my age when top gun came out he says it was a really big thing.

So i got to wondering how many people saw this movie and liked it. For those who did like it who was you your favorite character?

I saw a while back too. The first time it was OK, but after that it was less than mediocre.

Personally i think it could have been better without the love story.

Great movie! Seen it about 20 times or so!

However with all "Ultra super mega Budget movies" with their

computor animated special effects coming out of Hollywood today, i can see how younger people would think its kind of lame.

I feel the need, the need for speed!!!!!! wink.gif

Top Gun is such a cool movie- and it's really cool too, because it can be interpreted in so many ways. For example, was there a homoerotic undertone to Maverick and Iceman's relationship? I mean, for chrissakes, at the end Iceman tells Maverick that he can "Ride my tail any time" wow.gif

It's still a cool movie lol

probably.

the thing about TopGun was that it made Navy look good. but in Hollywood way. during filming, officers and pilots were complaining that it was NOT what they would do. however, the director insisted on making the flights and so forth through his ideals, and he ended up with such movie.

the movie was an idea developed over several years(2-3), and first, Tom Cruise was not the consideration for his role. however, by the time material was finished, Tom became a big actor, and was casted.

some scenes were actually taken aboard the carriers. however, some scenes were taken in studios too.

and the director who made the movie ODed himself with cocaine a few years later.

Before I joined the Navy I remember seeing it when I was a kid. I thought it was pretty cool at the time. I also remember playing the NES game which wasn't so cool!

Anyways now that I'm in the Navy I try to avoid it because all I see are errors errors everywhere. We also have a few pilots here who have been to Topgun and they say it's nothing like that. In fact in real life if your given the "trophey" it's not a good thing wink.gif

Another interesting tidbit is I've met the woman who Tom Cruise's love interest in the movie is based on. She holds two (maybe more) PHDs and works in the testing, evaluation, and analysis side of things for the Navy. She is a really nice person, but she dosen't really like how she was portrayed in the movie and prefers not to talk about it! smile.gif

"the thing about TopGun was that it made Navy look good."

He! Kind of like todays "Behind enemy lines". Only with a good story, good acting and not quite so obvious in it's true purpose. tounge.gif

By the way, the soundtrack for Topgun is still today my favourite record.

I saw that movie. And like alot of other people here said, that was a fucking cool movie!! It was had a perfect but rare balance between being a cool guy movie, and being a romantic chick flick.

That's why it is good for both sexes to watch. The entire movie wasn't that adrenaline pumping, but maintained an easy going feel throughout.

When I first saw it, I thought it would be cool to be a jet pilot. The entire movie was basically a showcase for the actors and Navy aviators, and less about the story.

And the music rocked too!! Hiiighway tooo the dangerzone!!

Hmm tex, didn't notice your post.

Looks like you posted a few minutes behind me.

What time is it in the US right now?

Only gripe I had was that they went and killed Goose. Why? I dont know. Goose was cool- he helped Maverick sing "Bring Back That Lovin' Feeling"! You can't kill a guy like that; or, at least, you shouldn't be able to.

I can honestly say that I don't care about whether the movie was pure propaganda in terms of its portrayal of naval aviators- you're complaining about officer behavior in a movie that tries to pass an F-5 off as a Soviet fighter? LOL

All I have to say is Meg Ryan. Damn she is hot in the movie.

COLINMAN

What kind of silly question is that, to ask in a silly forum such as this? Of course we saw Top Gun!

Great movie, seen it so many times I lost count.

"Thats right Iceman. I am dangerous" smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Oct. 30 2002,08:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All I have to say is Meg Ryan. Damn she is hot in the movie.

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

What are you talking about?? Meg Ryan was an annoying bitch in top gun, like she is in most of her movies.

It was Mavericks girlfriend in that movie who was hot.

Bonus points to anyone who can recite the first spoken line in the movie biggrin.gif

Under scouts honor that you won't go back and check of course tounge.gif

Vor

"Bonus points to anyone who can recite the first spoken line in the movie"

I think the first spoken line is made by some airtraffic controller, talking to a plane coming in for landing. Think he gives him instructions...

"Power, more power...hold what you got"

Or something like that.

Take my breath awaaaaaaaaaaaay.....

Remember the movie Hot Shots? It was kinda spoof on Top Gun, and the sceen i remember most in that movie is when two deck crew on the carrier were carrying bombs on their shoulders and they walked head on into each other and the nose of the bombs hit each other and banged.

Or when the deck crew was cooking hotdogs from the afterburner of a jet. That was funny.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Oct. 30 2002,16:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Take my breath awaaaaaaaaaaaay.....

Remember the movie Hot Shots? It was kinda spoof on Top Gun, and the sceen i remember most in that movie is when two deck crew on the carrier were carrying bombs on their shoulders and they walked head on into each other and the nose of the bombs hit each other and banged.

Or when the deck crew was cooking hotdogs from the afterburner of a jet.  That was funny.

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

Not to mention when the guy moves his sidemirror on his jetplane smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Oct. 29 2002,22:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Top Gun is such a cool movie- and it's really cool too, because it can be interpreted in so many ways. For example, was there a homoerotic undertone to Maverick and Iceman's relationship? I mean, for chrissakes, at the end Iceman tells Maverick that he can "Ride my tail any time"  wow.gif

It's still a cool movie lol<span id='postcolor'>

lol, you saw "sleep with me" with eric stoltz?

best bit in that movie with the ride my tail bit

*edit* Link to the quote