Sign in to follow this  
wsxcgy

Desire, feasibility, and execution of the production of an Eastern Afghanistan-esque terrain

Recently an idea came to me to make a map based on Eastern Afghanistan and the ecosystem in provinces like Kunar, Nuristan, and Nangarhar. The provinces make up a very unique ecosystem in Afghanistan, being widely covered by foliage and having a very high elevation. Along with that, they are some of the most violent areas in the country and are some of the hardest to maintain control of. They are a hotbed for Taliban insurgent activities and gun running. We've seen maps like this before, such as Clafghan, FATA, and Tora Bora from ARMA 2, but I wasn't very happy with either of those maps for a variety of reasons. FATA's mountains aren't dense enough, Clafghan is too lush and I just generally dislike the atmosphere, and Tora Bora is too light on foliage and just kind of boring. I know the process of map-making can be a very long and trying experience, and I have absolutely no experience with terrain creation in ARMA, and that prompted the main driving idea behind this proposition. I thought, why not use the Takistan Mountains Cut-out map and tweak the flora, ground textures, and Sat-Image to represent this type of ecosystem? There's plenty of villages and military bases in this area, and the mountains are a perfect size and steepness. What do you guys think of this? Is it even legal? Is it feasible? Is it something you'd like to see/use? Where can I get started on undertaking this, supposing there's enough reason to begin?

TL;DR; put trees on takistan cut-out

Here's a proof of concept I threw together with the Eden Editor

RN623gQ.jpg

• Like 1

Any add-on island is great in my opinion..I just wish more of them were stand alone without the need for the CUP stuff.

Don't get me wrong the CUP stuff is great but a lot of us have limited bandwidth and such and to upload that big of a file takes forever so the stand alone islands are awesome in that respect.

The other suggestion is not putting in any bases..just leave some decent areas open for the mission makers to add in their own outposts and FOBs. A lot of Maps with huge bases that rarely get used as intended I think. For me at least I'd rather see a terrain with no bases giving the mission makers more options. Just my 2 cents worth of suggestions..lol.

Diesel

Any add-on island is great in my opinion..I just wish more of them were stand alone without the need for the CUP stuff.

Don't get me wrong the CUP stuff is great but a lot of us have limited bandwidth and such and to upload that big of a file takes forever so the stand alone islands are awesome in that respect.

The other suggestion is not putting in any bases..just leave some decent areas open for the mission makers to add in their own outposts and FOBs. A lot of Maps with huge bases that rarely get used as intended I think. For me at least I'd rather see a terrain with no bases giving the mission makers more options. Just my 2 cents worth of suggestions..lol.

Diesel

Yeah I agree with some decent areas for making yourself bases as me as base builder i prefer to do it myself. Last terrain i was exploring for some base making was Kidali by Cirav. It looks very good but iam not so okay with the main base. Somebody can say that iam making bases with lots of details and that its not so good for playing cause of low FPS but im trying to make it more realistic then a big base which looks like some ghost town or something like that. So please dont make there any bases because of players imagination etc. Thanks

Greets DonbassCZ

• Like 1

Diesel

I think I'll give this a try and see if I can get anything good. It'll be a while before I can even start though. Yeah, I'd probably leave some open spaces so it's less taxing on performance, and I can just say there was logging in the area.  The vanilla map includes 2 military bases which I will probably leave, but there will be at least one clearing in the mountains for an OP or something, and I'll even consider marking it on the map. I also know how you feel about CUP and it's massive size. I usually have to download things like that overnight . In my opinion, it's a decent trade-off because being able to use Arma 2 maps is really nice and I think it's better to download one really big master file and then download smaller terrains than downloading a lot of self-contained terrains. You end up with a lot of duplicate assets that don't need to be around really.

• Like 2

Upon reconsideration, I've decided that the best way to do this is from the ground up. Unless I can figure out a way to return the original concept, I'll be attempting to make an entirely new terrain

• Like 1