Hi everyone. I'm working on my first ever SP 'task based' mission and I was wondering if there were any templates or if anyone would mind sharing something I could use for a mission intro.

I don't need anything fancy. I'm thinking just a blackscreen that displays the author, then the mission title, and then having the mission start would be enough. Bonus if I could add or using existing sounds but even that is not necessary.

Does anyone have anything basic I could use or a even a mission I can de-PBO and borrow the script from (I'd obviously give credit for anything anyone made)?

Somewhere in the editor (don't have it at work anymore) there's a drop down for Intro / Mission / Outtro which defaults to mission.  If you change that selection it will "blank out your map".  What it's really doing is giving you a blank canvas for what happens before or after you play the mission.

So find that drop down, change it to Intro, add in whatever neatos and geewhizzes you want and that'll play before the mission proper.

• Like 1

I'm out of likes for the day so I wanted to thank you. :)

I read a bunch of posts about those modules not working (like a year and longer ago). Basically, the intro would work but the mission would never play after the intro ended. Lol. This is why I was asking for a script but yeah, if it can do that, that's awesome.

I'm happy to know it works and I'll definitely try it.

I've got an example for ArmA 2 somewhere.  When I get home (assuming I'm not washed away!) I'll work on converting that over to ArmA3/Eden as an example since I'm not really finding any good examples with the new Eden stuff.

I've got an example for ArmA 2 somewhere.  When I get home (assuming I'm not washed away!) I'll work on converting that over to ArmA3/Eden as an example since I'm not really finding any good examples with the new Eden stuff.

Oh...are you in Texas? I heard it was bad there. Either way be safe! :)

Yeah I'd appreciate that if I can't get a simple intro going in Eden. No hurry.

Thanks a bunch!

I've never done an intro through the intro section of the mission but i know how to do one in a multiplayer mission if that helps.

if i recall correctly the intro section of a singleplayer mission is were you can place units down and run a sequence on mission start and once the mission changes to the scenario portion it deletes everything placed down in the intro part.

call it from a trigger activation or from init.sqf

introSeq = [] execVM "scripts\intro.sqf";

intro.sqf

_cam = "camera" camCreate [0,0,1000];
_cam cameraEffect ["internal", "BACK"];
CutText ["","Black Faded"];
sleep 1;
playMusic "introMusic";

sleep 0.5;
titleText ["Text line 1 ", "PLAIN", 0.2];
sleep 3.5;
titleText ["Text line 2 ", "PLAIN", 0.25];
sleep 3.5;
titleText ["Text line 3 ", "PLAIN", 0.2];
sleep 3;
titleText ["Text line 4  ", "PLAIN", 0.2];
sleep 2.5;
CutText ["","Black in", 0];

;comment "Establishing shot looking at the sea";
_cam camPrepareTarget [0,0,0];
_cam camPreparePos [0,0,0];
_cam camPrepareFOV 0.700;
_cam camCommitPrepared 5;
waitUntil {camCommitted _cam};

_cam CameraEffect ["Terminate","back"];
CamDestroy _cam;

scriptDone introSeq;

Thanks for sharing. Honestly, I make MP missions too so if any intro shared can be used in either SP or MP, that would be ideal but not needed if no one has one handy.

You lost me a little bit though. What kind of intro is this?

What is "introMusic"; ? Is that a stock BIS sound (if so are there other choices?)? And what does the line "Establishing shot looking at the sea" section mean? I'm not specifically looking to stage anything. I mean not at this point. I just would like a simple black screen intro with white text, best case scenario with music or ambient sounds in the background but definitely not required. The black screen displaying author and mission name that cuts into the mission would be enough if that's simplest.

Or I could just use this. I'm just not sure what it is.

The code i posted is just for the black title screens you asked. The line with the music is a custom music track i have in my intro. To define custom music in a mission look here https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Description.ext  it will tell you everything about what this file in your mission does. Remove the line about the music if you just want to copy past to use the code as is.

Playing music in an intro is quite easy if your just wanting to use the music that is already in arma 3. You can play music from a trigger by selecting a music track in the triggers effects field in the editor. Now their are some problems playing music this way. As far as i know you cant stop the music playing until the track ends if its the default music in the triggers effects. I only know how to stop custom defined music that you have setup in the description.ext file.

The code i posted above is what i used for my title sequence. I use comments as a way of describing what the code is actually doing. This way when people look at my code they will be able to follow it and get a good understanding of what that particular code does. So when you see the comment in the code i posted you know the first camera the players see when the mission starts is a "establishing shot looking at the sea". It may be a bit confusing since i removed all of my data for [x,y,z] this way you can put in your own.  You can delete that whole code block if all you want is the title card sequence. i included one camera point so you could see how to switch to a camera before destroying it and returning the player to his character.

To understand what and how to edit on the titleText take a look at https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/titleText

pay attention to what DreadedEntity posted on that page. He has a vary good explanation on what the 0.2 does in my code.

Build a few test mission and experiment with all of the settings on the wiki

This is a rough cut of the intro sequence i have been building for my multiplayer campaign mission. It's missing quite a lot of stuff as i have the intro credits title sequence turned off right now. Now what im doing in this intro may be a little advanced for people who are not conferrable with scripting but with a little work you can get the same result. (im currently trying to solve the jitter issue in another thread of mine so please post their if anyone has advice about it, i dont want to hijack this thread) The code below is the same code i used to do the title cards in this video.

If anyone was wondering this is not the the full intro sequence, the full intro about 3 min and is a hybrid of sim-interactive (player controlled ) and cinematic. Yes its long but once all the voice over work is done for the other shots it will be worth it.

TitleText intro with no player control at mission start.

past in mission file named intro.sqf

_cam = "camera" camCreate [0,0,1000];
_cam cameraEffect ["internal", "BACK"];
sleep 1;

titleText ["Text line 1 ", "PLAIN", 0.2];
sleep 3.5;
titleText ["Text line 2 ", "PLAIN", 0.25];
sleep 3.5;
titleText ["Text line 3 ", "PLAIN", 0.2];
sleep 3;
titleText ["Text line 4  ", "PLAIN", 0.2];
sleep 2.5;
CutText ["","Black in", 0];

_cam CameraEffect ["Terminate","back"];
CamDestroy _cam;

scriptDone introSeq;

past in init.sqf or call from onActivation of a trigger field

introSeq = [] execVM "intro.sqf";

if you dont need 4 title cards then delete ones you dont need.

I use this at the start of my missions in init.sqf

cutText ["1900 hrs Friday June 3 2016", "BLACK FADED"];
30 fadeSound 3;
30 fadeMusic 1;
sleep 8;
cutText ["Mission Introduction.", "BLACK FADED"];
sleep 8;
titleCut ["", "BLACK IN", 5];

I use this at the start of my missions in init.sqf

cutText ["1900 hrs Friday June 3 2016", "BLACK FADED"];
30 fadeSound 3;
30 fadeMusic 1;
sleep 8;
cutText ["Mission Introduction.", "BLACK FADED"];
sleep 8;
titleCut ["", "BLACK IN", 5];

Thanks for the help everyone.

This was EXACTLY what I was looking for! It's perfect. :)