germanske_norge

Lack of updates on Mac/Linux Port

It's been well over 2 months since the last update for the Mac/Linux portion, we still haven't even hit Eden yet, and 1.60 is about to roll out for PC users, is the outsourced team that is handling the ports still working on it?

I can't find the source now but IIRC they are planning on bringing the Linux port to 1.62 (or whatever the next main update is) once the dust of Apex has settled.

I can't find the source now but IIRC they are planning on bringing the Linux port to 1.62 (or whatever the next main update is) once the dust of Apex has settled.

Check https://dev.arma3.com/post/spotrep-00058

"This update does not apply to the experimental Linux and Mac port betas at time of writing. We'll be updating those as soon as possible."

Looks like we will get update. This is really good news. :)

I now get this error message everytime I launch: Addon 'A3_3DEN_Language' requires addon 'A3_3DEN. I have a vanilla install and have checked the cache integrity.

I'm on an iMac 5K. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Ive just got a 2.3 gb update now, no news on what it is though.

Ive just got a 2.3 gb update now, no news on what it is though.

That's 1.58 update. Though no official information yet.

Good news anyway!

yep its 1.58, had a little play around and apart from an audio issue things seem ok.

I have a sound card so maybe i'm not the right person to comment, in 1.54 occasionally something wouldnt play a sound or not sound right at all, but it was fine. In 1.58 i'm getting some kind of screeching noise every few seconds, and a few other sound issues. i'll verify the cache and try again. Maybe someone with onboard let me know what your getting?.

EDIT Update: issue seems to stop after loading up a game, then exiting back to the menu.

I had the update (1.58), but still had my above error so I erased and re-installed to see if it would fix it. Now somehow I'm back at 1.54. Maybe they pulled it.

They seem to have rolled it out accidentally today, then removed it. I still have it because I got a warning that it was being downgraded again and I put steam into offline mode.

It's great to have the update, the new audio and eden editor, but I am disappointed that it was 1.58 and not 1.60. I've already bought Apex and would really love to play with the new content, especially Tanoa.

I guess we have to accept that we'll never get simultaneous releases, so we'll always be unable to play with the larger community.

I guess we have to accept that we'll never get simultaneous releases, so we'll always be unable to play with the larger community.

We will, but that will happen when BI ends the developement on A3 - so when A4 rolls out (or a while after that).

Did you guys seriously just roll me back to 1.54?! why??? :blink:

btw Hoopenfaust, i get the same error at launch, but the game runs anyway so it appears to be a non issue.

We will, but that will happen when BI ends the developement on A3 - so when A4 rolls out (or a while after that).

As long as it's being ported by Virtual Programming I just don't see that happening. VP have been working on porting 1.58 for months. Bohemia aren't going to want to delay the release of each engine update by that long just for linux and mac users. Unless Arma 4 is a native port, which would mean re-writing their renderer around opengl4/vulkan that's extremely unlikely, and as we know BI is a DirectX studio, as they have said several times over the years they simply don't have any experience with openGL.

I really want it to happen but after spending years begging BI for a linux port, I know that this will always be a constant uphill battle.

Well, by even considering a port they have shown an an interest in keeping their options open, if they are gonna move to a new api surely they would look at vulkan first and foremost?

@mick18

At first that error wouldn't let me save during gameplay so I've tried everything to get rid of it. But as of late, the error does not stop me from saving so its no longer a big deal but I've always tried to see if I could fix it. I did have 1.58 (didn't get to play) but still had that error so I tried doing a new "clean" install. Once that was done I noticed it had rolled back. Obviously 1.58 is coming down the pipes soon.