MrSanchez

Custom videos (.ogv) in ArmA 3 missions have 2 sec audio delay

This has been an issue reported since March 2014. 

Basically, the official bohemia videos work fine, but whenever you try to make a mission with a custom video in it, that video will have its audio delayed by 2 seconds for no apparent reason.

Myself and many many others throughout the year have tried various codecs, even ffmpeg2theora (the exact same codec version BIS' official videos appear to be encoded with). No cigar however.

The old feedback post on this was 0018026 (Google cache link: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PC4J-ivaVw8J:feedback.arma3.com/view.php%3Fid%3D18026%26nbn%3D41+&cd=1&hl=nl&ct=clnk&gl=nl )

Also on top of this. I tried some of my .ogv videos in ArmA 2 and it works perfectly without delay. So I reckon something must've broke in ArmA 3. 

Hope this can be fixed after 2+ years :)

Kind regards,

Sanchez

• Like 1

I sure hope this could be fixed for like 1.60 or something ;)

+1 for this! :D I think I started the thread originally, lol! Yeah, can confirm though; maybe we could get some details on the correct video codec?

+1 for this! :D I think I started the thread originally, lol! Yeah, can confirm though; maybe we could get some details on the correct video codec?

Yeah I saw your name pop up in a few threads regarding this issue, many years ago...

Here's hoping 2016 will be a good year for fixing ancient yet relevant issues ^^

Kind regards,

Sanchez

I have tried getting this to work again, but yet again failed.

I had a mp4 video that I converted to ogv using ffmpeg2theora and try to match it as closely as possible to Bohemia's (working) A_in_intro.ogv

The ogv video is perfectly in sync when watching through VLC Media player, however it is out of sync in ArmA 3.

Comparison using ffmpeg2theora-0.26 --info:

https://i.gyazo.com/a659a5d76adf4094700720b5e288d459.png

Comparison using MediaInfo:

https://i.gyazo.com/2a7f2412be3f55782b9cf7fd991106fb.png

I encoded using a .bat file with the following in it:

ffmpeg2theora-0.26.exe gooshthebanana.mp4 -o mybanana2.ogv --width 1280 --height 720 --videobitrate 8000 --audiobitrate 500

Having the --nosync parameter on or off seems to make no difference in-game or in VLC media player (the bitsize of the files don't even change).

when I play the video in-game I notice that my screen flickers black for ~0.7 secs or so before the video actually start. It's hard to tell but I suspect the audio begins before the video starts.

I use this code to watch the videos ingame:

["mybanana2.ogv"] spawn bis_fnc_playVideo

Hope this helps somewhat.

Kind regards,

Sanchez

Pretty please ^^ ;)

why?

Because for years now I've tried to do everything and thus any parameters that may have to do with it. Pretty much desperation.

But I quote myself:

Having the --nosync parameter on or off seems to make no difference in-game or in VLC media player (the bitsize of the files don't even change).

I originally tried it without the parameter ofcourse. The parameter on/off has no effect whatsoever on my converted clips.

Kind regards,

Sanchez

I really hope to be able to create in-game hostage videos or ingame briefings like A2 PMC if this gets fixed. :)

Uhhhm....the 1.58 update just came out....and it appears to be fixed? Whaaaaat?

I'm struggling to believe that this issue has finally been fixed after 2 years....can anyone please please confirm?

My audio-video sync and actual 'proper' ogv videos are no longer delayed. Also that flickering @ the beginning of the video is gone too.

I saw one entry in the changelog being:

Tweaked: The BIS_fnc_playVideo function now calls a scripted callback BIS_fnc_playVideo_stopped

I'm amazed...can anyone else please confirm though?

Kind regards,

Sanchez