Sign in to follow this  
odisdracul

Idea for official support funding!

As a poster child for the "shut up and take my money" aspect, as far as Arma 3 is concerned. By that I mean, I have paid for every aspect of Arma 3 without hesitation. How about looking into crowd funding to cover the expense of doing official ports? Set it up so anyone who has paid for the game (and possibly DLC) doesn't have to purchase a whole new game to cover the costs. You could also possibly create some sort of incentive such as a free copy of the next DLC to come out or something as an incentive.

I for one am excited at the idea of an official Linux port, and in the spirit of brother hood will support the idea of Mac support, even though I don't like Apple. But, this could provide a good chance to see if there truly is support and provide the financial overhead without creating any issues. However, to make sure it will get the full potential support, make sure to mention clearly, a full refund of contributed funds if said target funding is not reached.

As a poster child for the "shut up and take my money" aspect, as far as Arma 3 is concerned. By that I mean, I have paid for every aspect of Arma 3 without hesitation. How about looking into crowd funding to cover the expense of doing official ports? Set it up so anyone who has paid for the game (and possibly DLC) doesn't have to purchase a whole new game to cover the costs. You could also possibly create some sort of incentive such as a free copy of the next DLC to come out or something as an incentive.

I for one am excited at the idea of an official Linux port, and in the spirit of brother hood will support the idea of Mac support, even though I don't like Apple. But, this could provide a good chance to see if there truly is support and provide the financial overhead without creating any issues. However, to make sure it will get the full potential support, make sure to mention clearly, a full refund of contributed funds if said target funding is not reached.

It sounds very unconventional, but I actually think this might work.

Linux and Mac enthusiasts (and gamers) are usually more willing to spend more on software than "regular" Windows gamers. Maybe BIS should consider this, although I recommend that the executable should not be exclusively available to those who help fund the Linux and Mac project.

Crowdfunding is acceptable these days, even for developers that potentially have the resources to go it alone.

Yeah, my thought processes weren't firing on all cylinders when I typed this post up. The thought is still a sound idea though. Using crowd funding is a solid way to see how endorsed the idea will be. I for one prefer linux over windows any day. I have proven that I can utilize linux instead of windows and be more productive in any task that I need to accomplish, until gaming is brought into the picture. The issue I have when it comes to gaming, is just the lack of games available on linux.

There is a large library to choose from at this time, and it just keeps growing. However, the titles that truly stand out and show the true "glory" of PC gaming, aren't necessarily there yet. It is a shame. PC gaming truly provides real choice when it comes to gaming. You can choose how good your gaming rig is, rather to use mods or not, play through VR or traditional monitors, broad range of input devices, the list keeps going on and on. The once choice that hasn't been truly given to us, is operating systems. Some game have, most games haven't. In a game like Arma, where you are provided a base sandbox and left to build on top of it, that last choice is one that would be astounding.

The truth in the situation, is that there are several people who would rather have a native linux client. Some of it is due to preference, some of it is due to the way that windows hogs resources. Anyone who has truly delved into world of linux should know that it truly utilizes less system resources than any generation of windows. This is an extremely appealing idea from a gamers mentality. I want my OS to be light weight and not hog the resources, so I can truly unleash the full power of my PC for my game.

Enough of my ramble. Sorry to anyone who runs Mac and wished I would have spoken about it. I simply don't know enough about Mac to make a bold statement about it, from performance perspectives. As previously stated, I am not a Mac fan, but I will gladly support the push for a better game world on Mac, due to the necessity for true choice.

The idea is a native port, that is built to run with OpenGL, OpenAL, etc. instead of DirectX and using a program that translates DirectX to OpenGL/AL. The idea would unleash the full power of Linux/Mac for the game engine. As it stands right now a lot of folks, who have played with the unofficial port, have experiences that are either on par or slightly better than if ran in Windows. Utilizing the current method for the port is fine for the testing and information gathering practice Bohemia is trying. The one answer they are seeking, isn't going to be found by this means, though. The question is rather or not they would have a following big enough to warrant the costs of development, ergo the return on investment. I'm not trying to criticize the attempt, in fact I applaud that they even dared to take a chance on finding out. I am just saying that the better option may be through crowd funding, which kills two birds with one stone. It would show the true support of the idea and negate the investment required (financially) to build a native port that utilizes the true assets at the disposal. 

Utilizing the current method for the port is fine for the testing and information gathering practice Bohemia is trying. The one answer they are seeking, isn't going to be found by this means, though. The question is rather or not they would have a following big enough to warrant the costs of development, ergo the return on investment. I'm not trying to criticize the attempt, in fact I applaud that they even dared to take a chance on finding out. I am just saying that the better option may be through crowd funding, which kills two birds with one stone. It would show the true support of the idea and negate the investment required (financially) to build a native port that utilizes the true assets at the disposal.

A good explanation of intent on your part, but I have some reservations of my own as follows:

• The actual cost to Bohemia to 'go native' on Mac/Linux ports is not clear now (in part because Bohemia had Virtual Programming doing it) nor will it necessarily be clear unless Bohemia publicly puts specific limits on how far they'd go with the ports... and after finding out that the Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Kickstarter initial goal was for roughly ten percent of the actual cost of the game, with investors covering "funding for about 90 percent of the game with the condition that I prove the market still wants an Igavania game", I have to look skeptically at the idea that crowd funding would actually be enough on its own. (I recognize the irony of saying that when Bloodstained's Kickstarter concluded with ten times the initial goal.)
  • The FAQ at that page seems to suggest via the wording of the first question that Bohemia outsourced the Mac/Linux ports specifically to avoid 'distraction' from work on the Windows version of the game (i.e. Eden) and on Apex, in the same vein where Bohemia fended off concerns of DayZ standalone development coming at Arma 3's expense... a consideration that I doubt any amount of "here for Mac/Linux" revenue could have counteracted. Moreover, the third FAQ answer is that "[d]ue to the limitations (some of which will never be overcome), we don't feel we can provide a full experience on the port platforms." Not looking too optimistic there...

Valid points you raise, that did not go unnoticed by me in any way. The overall purpose is to provide an idea. I am not trying to say that this is the only option available, nor would I try to enforce that idea. As for "limitations (some of which will never be overcome)". That is truly a cop out. Anything that can be done on Windows, is completely possible on Linux/Mac. In fact, the counter-statement, that holds fairly firm. Is that, Linux definitely provides a much more flexible platform for any computer task. I can't speak on behalf of the capabilities for Mac. I have not found myself interested in overpaying for my computer in order to find out. 

The major issue with Linux right now, is that Windows has such a large market share in the PC world, that it was viewed as unprofitable to make software for Linux. There has also been a huge misunderstanding that people think Linux users don't want to spend money. That argument is completely invalid. The largest majority of Linux users don't want to waste money in products that they don't like, such as Microsoft. I for one am in that bandwagon. I am happy to spend money, if I feel it is a worth while purchase.

One example of a bad decision by a major software company, is Adobe. For years, customers have been stating that they will gladly pay for a Linux native build of Adobe products. There have been 10,000+ people who have stated clearly, the intent to purchase Linux native ports of Adobe software. With Adobe now doing a subscription based distribution of their products, they are loosing out on millions of dollars, that admittedly would take more time to accrue than Mac/Windows income. But the argument has merit.  There have been several posts made on Bohemia's forums and many others around the net, asking for a Linux native build, since at the very least Arma 2.

But, digressing back to the topic at hand. This post is in no way a statement of what to do. It is purely an idea to look into. It is also there to provide the opportunity for others to show approval or disapproval with the idea or counter ideas that may be more relevant. As for the Apex and Eden updates. I would be on board with them ironing those out and taking a step back afterwards, in order to square out the Linux port, if it is an option.

A better solution would be BIS to move their engine to Vulkan API, that way ALL windows platform users can benefit as well as making it MUCH easier for them to offer a Linux port.

I dunno what BIS thinks about Vulkan but they haft to realize its a good option to offer Windows 7to10 users benefits also! (DX12 is Win10 and XB1 ONLY)

PLUS having Vulkan support will generate publicity for BIS and ARMA3+Products. There just isn't many announcing support in existing games atm so it would definitely raise some eyebrows, if BIS Dev's feel they have the skill to make it happen that is..

• Like 2

It is also relatively easy to win the hearts and minds of the Linux/FLOSS community. To make a statement, BIS could release the source code of the Arma: Cold War Assault engine. Even small gestures like these have a huge impact.

And it would fit with the 15th anniversary of Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis.