dreadedentity

[CODE SNIPPET] Extracting full classes from config

Hello! It has been a long time since I have made a code snippet!

I am going to start making a GUI tutorial soon (maybe a series) but I don't like several of the things I had to do when I started learning about GUI's in Arma. Like many, I read and followed Iceman77's guide (and even had the privilege of having him in my teamspeak server multiple times), and bangabob's video tutorial. However, these required you to download/copy some files that had been already created for you. For a long time while I was learning, I did not realize the freedom that was available to me. Of course, a fair amount of my misunderstanding was probably due to naivete with the engine. However, in my tutorial series I want to express how much freedom one has and teach people not to be scared of searching for information and trying new things, not just follow a guide. So to prevent having to provide some file(s) that won't teach the viewer anything, I wanted to write a function that will allow them to "export" a config straight from the game, using BIS's default values.

Note: This function must be compiled using the functions library with the Tag "DREAD" and the name "copyConfigClass" to work properly. As it is a recursive function, if you want to compile it with a different name, you will have to edit the self-call within the function yourself. The easiest way to use this script is to compile it using the functions library, using the names I have listed previously.

So without further delay, here's my script:
fn_copyConfigClass.sqf

///////////////////////////////////////
// Function file for Armed Assault 3 //
//     Created by: DreadedEntity     //
//                                   //
//     MUST BE COMPILED WITH THE     //
//         FUNCTIONS LIBRARY         //
//Tag = DREAD  Name = copyConfigClass//
///////////////////////////////////////

/*
	TO USE:
		_partialClass = [config] call DREAD_fnc_copyConfigClass;

INPUT:
		config: TYPE - Config | Anything that is not a config class is rejected.

OUTPUT:
		_partialClass: TYPE - STRING | USED BY THE FUNCTION TO CREATE OUTPUT, DO NOT OVERWRITE
			HOWEVER, it is possible to save the result outside of the function, to run it multiple times
			ex.
				_textBoxClass = [configFile >> "RscText"] call DREAD_fnc_copyConfigClass;
				_listBoxClass = [configFile >> "RscListBox"] call DREAD_fnc_copyConfigClass;
				_buttonClass = [configFile >> "RscButton"] call DREAD_fnc_copyConfigClass;

TO CLIPBOARD:
		Outputs a full class definition, even returning subclasses and their attributes, and it's nicely formatted with tabs. I'm such a god.
*/

private ["_parents","_numTabs","_numParams","_param","_newConfig","_params"];

_MAKE_TABS =
{
	_tabs = "";
	for "_t" from 1 to _this do
	{
		_tabs = _tabs + (toString [9]);
	};
	_tabs;
};

if (!isClass (_this select 0)) exitWith {"Input Was Not A Class"};

_newLine = toString [13, 10];
_parents = [_this select 0] call BIS_fnc_returnParents;

_numTabs = _this param [1, 0, [0]];

_output = _this param [2, "", [""]];
_output = _output + (_numTabs call _MAKE_TABS) + "class " + (configName (_this select 0)) + _newLine + (_numTabs call _MAKE_TABS) + "{" + _newline;

_params = [];
{
	_numParams = (count _x) - 1;
	for "_i" from 0 to _numParams do
	{
		_param = configName (_x select _i);
		_newConfig = (_this select 0) >> _param;
		if (isClass _newConfig) then
		{
			_output = [_newConfig, _numTabs + 1, _output] call DREAD_fnc_copyConfigClass;
		} else
		{
			_newParam = _param;
			_data = nil;
			switch (true) do
			{
				case (isNumber _newConfig):
				{
					_data = getNumber _newConfig;
				};
				case (isText _newConfig):
				{
					_data = str(getText _newConfig);
				};
				case (isArray _newConfig):
				{
					_newParam = _newParam + "[]";
					_data = str(getArray _newConfig);
					_data = "{" + (_data select [1, (count _data) - 2]) + "}";
				};
			};
			if (_params find _param == -1) then
			{
				_output = _output + ((_numTabs + 1) call _MAKE_TABS) + format["%1 = %2;%3", _newParam, _data, _newLine];
				_params pushBack _param;
			};
		};
	};
} forEach _parents;
_output = _output + (_numTabs call _MAKE_TABS) + "};" + _newline;
copyToClipboard _output;
_output; 

Lastly, I'd like to thank the person who wrote the code for the Splendid Config Viewer; whose code was so bloated and unreadable I experienced the greatest headache of my life from reading it, and probably got cancer.

• Like 3

That's why I am dialog retarded, I care about my health...

I really wait with expectation those tuts. My dialogs are near shit.

As it is a recursive function, if you want to compile it with a different name, you will have to edit the self-call within the function yourself.

Ha, that bring back memories of the TS channel and recursive functions -  always with the private array!  ;)

Good job there mate  :)

Lastly, I'd like to thank the person who wrote the code for the Splendid Config Viewer; whose code was so bloated and unreadable I experienced the greatest headache of my life from reading it, and probably got cancer.

You're welcome ;)

Honestly, trying to replicate tree structure in a listbox gave me headaches too (this is long before commands for tree operations were introduced).

• Like 1

Ha, that bring back memories of the TS channel and recursive functions -  always with the private array!  ;)

Good job there mate  :)

Oh the good ol' days of the Scripters' Lounge, learned a lot and had some fun along with it :D.

Oh the good ol' days of the Scripters' Lounge, learned a lot and had some fun along with it :D.

Is SL dead now?  I was thinking about it the other day, if it's still going, let me know the login - would be good to catch up with you guys again  :)

That's why I am dialog retarded, I care about my health...

I really wait with expectation those tuts. My dialogs are near shit.

Going to start soon!

You're welcome ;)

Honestly, trying to replicate tree structure in a listbox gave me headaches too (this is long before commands for tree operations were introduced).

It really was a headache trying to understand what was going on! The bit about cancer was more tongue-in-cheek  :P . You always take shots in stride though.

I do have one question for you, I think I have noticed a few scripts/functions of yours that are written recursively with a unique parameter and a switch for functionality. Is there any reason you make them this way? Any other benefits other than keeping the code to one file?

Is SL dead now?  I was thinking about it the other day, if it's still going, let me know the login - would be good to catch up with you guys again   :)

I'm always in one teamspeak or another, PM me, I'd love to chat sometime