Sign in to follow this  
six_ten

Spall and splinters

I'd like some ideas (and code if its available) for the following:

I have a wooden ship.  I also have a cannon.  When a cannonball hits the side of the ship I want the ball itself to pass through and damage players, but I also want to create an explosion of splinters that can do damage too at the inside of the point of impact.  I think this effect also happens in modern tanks; has it been done?

I'd like some ideas (and code if its available) for the following:

I have a wooden ship.  I also have a cannon.  When a cannonball hits the side of the ship I want the ball itself to pass through and damage players, but I also want to create an explosion of splinters that can do damage too at the inside of the point of impact.  I think this effect also happens in modern tanks; has it been done?

You mean like a burst of splinter shrapnel from the cannonball impact? I dont think that has been done exactly,but the ACE mod guys did add fragmentation damage from frag grenades.Essentially bits of shrapnel can hit you when you throw one of their grenades.They might be the ones to ask.

I am very excited to see your ship and cannon! Pirate adventures on the high seas!

• Like 1

You mean like a burst of splinter shrapnel from the cannonball impact?

Exactly.

Exactly.

Yeah-ask the ACE guys how they did their frag grenades.

it would be easier for crew inside vehicles -

1) create a custom hitpoint class with large radius in the "crew compartment"

2) use eventhandler and script each time this hitpoint is damaged

3) the script restores health of that hitpoint class to be "indestructable". Also, it randomizlingly applies damage to the crew positions in the zone covered by the hitpoint (manual set up of course)

The ace script checks for plausability of beeing hit using line of sight afaict. Then it creates projectiles that fly from center of explosion in general direction of propably hits (to not create thousands of useless fragments) . This wont work with a vehicle interior properly, as projectile explosions happen as soon as it hits anything (means it will terminate on the outer hull). Therefore line of sight cant be used. And interior has lots of walls, so it wouldnt work even if it explodes inside.

• Like 1