p-hienz

Food for thought, and a rant about "Context"

I think

Note that a lead dev behind the campaign is former community. ;)

I think many are former community. Within that may lay some of the problems, regards certain issues the game has.

As previously mentioned, the M-ATV is the basis for the Hunter so it's understandable if Bohemia's designers didn't look at (much less incorporate) the L-ATV's capabilities -- but the lack of a lighter military vehicle beyond the quadbike, I believe that that omission (by Arma 3's designers) parallels a real-life souring in the US on the idea of a vehicle so lightly armored (or not) as the Humvee, hence the protection-level requirements in the JLTV procurement.

That is true. I think we've geared towards heavier vehicles in the past and it's wise for a lot of things (I personally like my limbs attached to my body), they're not a one-size-fits-all solution. However, BI probably just added the base MATVs for gameplay and budget reasons. Most likely didn't have time to make a LATV-type vehicle to use.

Honestly, I think the military is going for the MATV/LATV combo since they're very similar and both of them have their specific missions. There is a souring on the lightly armored vehicles but we still realize that there's a need for a vehicle that can be slingloaded or can actually cross rickety bridges that a full MRAP can bring down. So yeah, you're right. We don't want lightly armored vehicles anymore. But we still need "light" vehicles.

Torch/sell/donate the rest of the bigger MRAPs and keep some in storage or special purpose vehicles (a MATV can't exactly replace a Buffalo, for example.)