Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

Hunting rifle question

I think OFP needs more sniper rifles, the maps are huge and there are three official sniper rifles. All the M82s i have tried either fire explosive rounds, tracers or look a bit poo. PSG-1s are not that much more different to an M21 if you think from a games point of view (7.62mm, 20 round mag etc). I really like the new hunting rifle though. Maybe it needs some realistic suppressed sniper rifles for special ops. Maybe a VSS, is it? (not sure) for the east. For the west make it different like a big bore rifle (not suppressed), say good M82A1 or M99, even the Steyr AMR smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 19 2002,14:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This seems to be straying into gun debate and/or discussion about other games, either of these two would make it an OT thread, I'll give it a lil more of a chance being the patient forgiving moderator that I am smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

aw common

its not causing any problems

maby I should PM a moderator every single post, let them re-write them, PM them back, and then I can post what they want.

But I guess I should toss in something to keep the mods from closing yet another thread.

I suggest OFP get a H&H.375MAGNUM bolt action rifle with a long range/longer than the M21 atleast.

yahda yahda yahda

One thing that I would have to add to a comment from RalphWiggum that he killed someone from 300m away with the hunting rifle is that you can kill someone by shooting in his leg!

I mean it would hurt alot, but in most cases it wouldn't kill you.

In OFP it doesn't matter in what part of the body you shoot. Just hit the target in his/her feet and he/she will die.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cheeky monkey @ Oct. 19 2002,17:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think OFP needs more sniper rifles, the maps are huge and there are three official sniper rifles. All the M82s i have tried either fire explosive rounds, tracers or look a bit poo. PSG-1s are not that much more different to an M21 if you think from a games point of view (7.62mm, 20 round mag etc). I really like the new hunting rifle though. Maybe it needs some realistic suppressed sniper rifles for special ops. Maybe a VSS, is it? (not sure) for the east. For the west make it different like a big bore rifle (not suppressed), say good M82A1 or M99, even the Steyr AMR smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know much about rifles, when they were built IRL, etc., but we gotta remember that OFP is around 1982-1985.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Codex @ Oct. 20 2002,00:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But I guess I should toss in something to keep the mods from closing yet another thread.<span id='postcolor'>

Who said anything about closing it? If it stayed off topic it would be moved to off topic, no more, no less.

Perhaps if you actually knew something about this forum, the people of this forum, the moderators of this forum, and specifically the rules of this forum before you decided to "go off on one" you wouldn't be creating the problems for yourself that you've managed to create thus far smile.gif

please stay on topic  smile.gif

j/k dude

tho i dont consider it a problem, heck, its a gaming forum, not like I take it seriously enough to care, or least of all consider it a problem to myself.

I like the M21, but if you want the best accuracy, semi rifles just dont cut it.  A single shot heavy bolt action rifle is the most favorable.

Im a big fan of the .338lupa mag, .375mag and .408 Cheytac

Arnold Arms makes nice heavy barrel rifles.  

The Dakota Longbow would be a nice addition to OFP.  Its big, long ranged, and a very intersting looking rifle.

sm_lbtech.gif

The Longbow was developed from the ground up at the request of one of the world's more sophisticated governments, seeking a tactical military rifle of unprecedented accuracy, power and flexibility. Based on Dakota Arms' renowned Model 76 hunting action, the Longbow offers range and power vastly superior to .30 tactical rifles, without the weight and bulk of .50 weapons.

The Longbow guarantees 1/2 MOA performance with an effective range of 1500 meters in its .338 configuration. It generates up to 5250 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy from a 300 grain bullet traveling at 2850 fps. The rifle is available in .338 Lapua magnum, .330 Dakota magnum, and .300 Dakota magnum. It utilizes commercially available match grade ammunition and components.

tactb.jpg

Weight: Overall weight 13.5 lbs. (without scope).

Barrel: 28" stainless steel.

Action: Dakota Arms 76-style bolt release.

Stock: Ergonomic ambidextrous A-2 McMillan fiberglass stock, black or olive drab. Full length action bedding 1 1/2" adjustable pull, from 12 7/8" to 14 3/8". Adjustable cheekpiece, 3 sling swivel studs, bi-pod mount in forend.

Another Rifle I like is the SIG-SSG 3000(rifle from AQ2)

"The Swiss-made SSG 3000 from SIG is a precision-made rifle which, in the hands of a well-trained marksman,will produce consistent results of the.highest order. The SSG 3000 is a bolt-action rifle firing the standard NATO 7.62mm x 51 calibre round. The bolt itself has six locking lugs to provide a positive gas seal. The weapon uses the very latest in weapon design technology and has been developed using the Sauer 200 STR target rifle as its base.

The rifle is a modular design with the trigger system and five-round capacity magazine forming a single unit which is fitted into the receiver housing. which in turn is joined to the barrel by screw clamps. The receiver housing is machined from a single block with locking between the bolt and the barrel, which minimises the stress transference to the receiver. The stock of the SSG 3000 is made from non-warping wood laminate to produce a weapon that is low maintenance and simple to use.

The trigger has two take-up weights, which can be adjusted to assist in-tailoring the weapon to individual firers. The first take-up weight of the trigger is between 13N and 15N, and the second between 13N and 17N. The safety catch is mounted above the trigger and serves to lock the trigger, bolt and firing pin when applied. The firer can release the safety catch without having to change-position, which increases his response time. There is a cocking indicator pin with red and white. surfaces at the end of the striker head to indicate to the firer the state of the weapon. The firing pin is light and has only a short distance to travel before striking the base of the round. thereby giving an extremely short lock time.

The heavy barrel of the SSG 3000 is-manufactured from cold-swaged metal and has a combined muzzle brake and flash suppresser, which has a significant influence on the accuracy and stability of the weapon. It has a fully adjustable cheek-plate and butt-plate and a bipod; all of which can -be fitted to suit the anatomy of individual firers. The SSG 3000 is also available in a left-handed version.

The weapon has no iron sights, due to the fact that it is intended to be used solely with telescopic sights. It can accept most optical sights, including night-vision equipment and NATO STANAG equipment, but the Hensoldt 1.5-6 x 42BL has been specifically designed for use with the SSG 3000. This sight unit is attached to the rifle by means of a mounting which allows for axial adjustment to suit individual users' eye relief length. For training or practice purposes a .22 inch conversion kit is available for this weapon. I would like to test this system as i have only heard good comments about the SIG , primarly a police sniper system."