Sign in to follow this  
Hamakaze

Finding topography

So i was going to use OpenTopography to find the topography for the terrain I was going to build but when I went to get it from there the area in question (Shetland Islands) wasnt covered by them is there any other sources where i can get the topography?

Depending on what you want there are all kinds of options.

National Map Viewer - Useful for finding elevation data from the United States. Some areas have 3m elevation data.

CGIAR - This has SRTM data which ranges in quality and size. I feel like average is 90m but I think 30m SRTM data has been released. World coverage.

ASTER GDEM - Don't remember exactly the quality but I think 30m and covers the world.

Those are the best sources I have. If you're not picky about what you want to make, the United States has enough diversity in it that you can find elevation data that can be used to represent any other part of the world. California around Los Angeles can be used to represent Greece for example. Maine can represent northern European countries. Arizona can be used for deserts etc.

Specifically for the UK and - I think - with Shetland Islands coverage - you could check out the free UK Ordnance Survey data portal...

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/opendatadownload/products.html

Look for the "Terrain 50" product, which is basically 50m resolution DEM data for the whole of the UK - available in several formats (Arc ASCII is probably what you want). It's similar to the SRTM datasets Jakerod mentions above, but it's been neatly (mostly) edited and tidied and generally cleaned up, so its good, reliable DEM data.

The OS also do a "Terrain 5" product which is a lovely 5 meter resolution... Sadly, prices start at "Truly Horrific" and get more expensive from there on... :(

There's other OS products available for free, with varying degrees of usefulness - check out "VectorMap" while you're there...

Remember, this data will be already projected - to the British Grid projection in this case. Other data you may acquire from elsewhere, such as imagery, may be projected in a different system. They'll all need reprojected to their appropriate UTM WGS1984 Zone before use, so they all align properly...

Remember also that "Terrain 50", in common with SRTM and most other radar-derived heightmap data, doesn't understand the concept of "underwater" or "below sea level", so - for an island-based project, you'll have to do some manual coastline and ocean floor editing in something like L3DT...

B

• Like 1