Sign in to follow this  
Kingsley1997

Mission Editor Dedicated Server Simulation

Not sure whether this is the right place to post this, but I have a suggestion for the mission editor.

It would be good if there was an option in the editor to preview the mission in a simulated dedicated server. So it would essentially export the mission as a PBO, start a local dedicated server with any mods you specify, connect you to it and then let you play. If it could do that all in the background then developing MP missions would be so much easier and quicker, rather than having to do all that manually to test something.. Unless I'm testing stuff wrong I assume that is the only way to test an MP mission.

Is this technically feasible or is it just not worth the investment?

Not really worth the time and effort of BI, MP mission scripting/editing isn't exactly leaps and bounds different from SP, you just have to grasp a couple concepts (i.e. locality) to be able to accomplish what you want.

I suppose but MP editing/scripting may not be totally different but in testing it is, since the game has to be a recognizable dedicated server before it runs any server scripts etc.

I suppose but MP editing/scripting may not be totally different but in testing it is, since the game has to be a recognizable dedicated server before it runs any server scripts etc.

You do know about the arma3server.exe?

No point in simulating a dedicated server from the mission editor if you can test your stuff on the real thing.

Cheers

Use the following:

Batch file:

@echo off
set "mod_folder=G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\Mods"
set "game_folder=G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3"
set "mods=-mod=%game_folder%;"
set "mods=%mods%%mod_folder%\@mod;"
set "mods=%mods%%mod_folder%\@mod2;"
set "mods=%mods%%mod_folder%\@mod3;"
set "mods=%mods%%mod_folder%\@mod4;"
set "mods=%mods%%mod_folder%\@mod5"

echo "%mods%"

cd /D "%game_folder%\"
start "" "%game_folder%\arma3server.exe" ^
-config=arma3server.cfg "%mods%"

arma3server.cfg

//
// server.cfg
//
// comments are written with "//" in front of them.
// STEAM
steamport               =2300;
steamqueryport          =2301;

hostname                = "TestingStuff";      // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list
password                = "Password";                  // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server
passwordAdmin           = "Admin";                      // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'
reportingIP             = "";
BattleEye               = 0;

disableVoN              = 1;                        // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available
persistent              = 1;                        // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.
kickDuplicate           = 0;
equalModRequired        = 0;
requiredSecureId        = 2;
timeStampFormat         = "short";

// SCRIPTING ISSUES
onUserConnected = "";
onUserDisconnected = "";
doubleIdDetected = "";

// SIGNATURE VERIFICATION
onUnsignedData          = "";              // unsigned data detected
onHackedData            = "";              //"ban (_this select 0)";// tampering of the signature detected
onDifferentData = "";

// HC
localClient[]={127.0.0.1};

Yes I am fully aware of the server.exe and that's what I have been using to test. What I mean is remove all that hassle of exporting the mission, starting to server, joining it etc and just put that in automatically in the background.