Sign in to follow this  
dezkit

rotorDive

In the A2 sample data, for ah6x.p3d there is a selection called rotorDive. If you select that selection, and you move it, the selection moves as if it is on a weight and collapses towards a point... How can I do this?

Select all the verts you do want to add weight to, then invert selection [Ctrl+I] and hide the parts you don't want to accidentally paint weights to [Ctrl+H]. You should just be left with the rotors visible for editing.

Now press [N] to enter weight painting mode and use the colour slider to paint individual vertexes along the length of your rotors - it seems from the sample model that red weights go at the tips of the rotors and get bluer towards the centre of the rotors and graduating shades of purple along the middle of the rotor length. If you want to be very specific about what verts get what weight, decrease the "Smooth area size" to zero and make the "Solid area size" pretty small as well so you don't spread the weight over the adjacent verts.

When you're done weighing, create the rotorDive selection while the weights are visible (or if you made a selection previously, redefine selection) and the selection should carry the weights you defined per vertex. You might need to adjust the weights and redefine a few times to get the blades to arch in the way you want when you move the selection.

Once you're happy you can unhide the rest of the model [Ctrl+A] then [Ctrl+Shift+H].

Edited by da12thMonkey

This is very interesting and first time I've heard of it.

Thanks a bunch, I made it work in my project.

This is very interesting and first time I've heard of it.

Yeah, the weighing is mostly used in modelling organic things like character models, backpacks etc. so people tend to be unfamiliar with the notion that it works on vehicles and other objects as well. There are very few examples of mechanical objects needing it or using it.

I think Soul_Assassin from RHS was the first person I remember saying that it works on vehicles, and showed an example of him using it on tank tracks and flexible gun mantlet covers:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?114036-STALKERGB-s-Weighting-overview

I've got the weights correctly, however when I use an animation with translation, it doesn't do it properly, even though I'm using the same exact selection. Weird...

I've got the weights correctly, however when I use an animation with translation, it doesn't do it properly, even though I'm using the same exact selection. Weird...

Make sure you have it properly set up in the model.cfg under CfgSkeletons otherwise it won't animate properly. Should be as follows:

"main rotor", "",

"rotordive", "main rotor",

Of course this might not be the issue, but it's worth a shot :D