Sign in to follow this  
vital

addons with arma 3

hello I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to add an addon to the server file. for example a custom anti air tank, and then have said addon load into the wasteland server to where our clients could automatically download the addon without having to manually install the addon through Steam or programs like play with 6. If there is a way I can not remember how it is done, and would really appreciate it if anyone who knows how to do this could reply. If this dose not make sense I can reword this if need be. As I wrote this through my phone and auto correct sucks lol.

---------- Post added at 02:32 ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 ----------

by automatically download I mean it will install with the mission PBO or the mission file they download when connect to our server.

If there is a way I can not remember how it is done

As far as I am aware, what you want to achieve is not currently possible. Retexturing of existing units is possible via the mission file itself (including the texture in with the mission PBO) as far as I'm aware, however including the model and config etc. of brand spanking new assets is not.

Edited by Jackal326

We need to have them get on top of this as ideas like this allow for people to be able to experience more of a server through community made mods. I for one hope to see this in a future update as ARMA 2 had something like this.

Edited by vital

I for one hope to see this in a future update as ARMA 2 had something like this.

Did it? I must have missed that in the 5 years of playing it :P

Yea it's not possible, and same with Jackal I played A2 for a year or two and it wasn't possible there without something like PWS to download the necessary third party content. Textures/sounds/music/pictures and maybe a few other things are about as far as you can go without it being a third party download.

I thought arma 2 had that feature but I may be mixing it up with a program. O well I hope to see a feature like this added as it will expand what players can do with arma and allow for way more content

...it will expand what players can do with arma and allow for way more content

Not really. The ability to make the content is already there, what you are suggesting will simply mean you'll need to download a 100mb mission file instead of 99mb of an addons and a 1mb mission.

Who cares about the mission file as once you download it you do not have to re download it unless they make changes to it. And arma players are lazy as if you wanted a server running mods to improve like a wasteland mission by adding a stealth bomber or even a new tank. They won't take the time to download those mods. Hince making it able to download those mods within the mission file would be better as the players won't have to find the mods or download them and install them as its automatically done within the mission file

Who cares about the mission file as once you download it you do not have to re download it unless they make changes to it.

The same could be said for addons themselves - once they've bothered to download them, they don't need to worry and your mission maintains a more manageable file-size. The opposite side to that coin is if you update the mission frequently to fix bugs and/or add new features every time someone connects they'll need the updated version and be downloading the mission again from the server. ArmA's netcode is such that it spikes traffic massively when a player connects - add to that them downloading a 100mb mission instead of a 100kb mission and the server will lag to a halt if a couple of players connect simultaneously. I'm not saying your idea is a bad one, its just impractical.

Who cares about the mission file as once you download it you do not have to re download it unless they make changes to it. And arma players are lazy as if you wanted a server running mods to improve like a wasteland mission by adding a stealth bomber or even a new tank. They won't take the time to download those mods. Hince making it able to download those mods within the mission file would be better as the players won't have to find the mods or download them and install them as its automatically done within the mission file

most addon licenses do not allow repacking content anyways...