Sign in to follow this  
acoustic

L3DT and general questions

I am currently making a 20km by 20 km artificial terrain (4096 by 5 cell size) and need some advice. Lots of questions in bound, don't expect them to all be answered but doing my best lol.

1. In L3DT, is it recommended to add textures that you intend on using with the actual map? Ie, importing the in game textures and putting them on the SAT map? As of right now, my ground textures and sat map are a bit off color.

2. I am using 4 different textures, but they all are for the same area (desert). Does anyone have a technique to making the mask picture have a nice mixture of all the different textures? Or should I just use one since the terrain is all the same?

3. Any other general tips for using L3DT and Arma maps?

Edit

Also, is there anywhere I can actually view what the clutter items look like? Do you place rocks and bushes as clutter as well?

Edited by Acoustic

I've been following that tutorial myself. Still having a bit of an issue with the textures.

Driving myself insane with L3DT atm.

My map is 2m cell size, with 8096 grid which comes out to 16k by 16k. I need to generate a 4x attributes map (essentially a mask image) but idk what size to make my textures. I assume that Arma works by placing the image down and by whatever size is deterimened by the color of the mask, other textures are blended over it (but they are not rescaled). I have not the slightest clue as to how to get textures to work optimally (from arma III) into L3DT.

Driving myself insane with L3DT atm.

My map is 2m cell size, with 8096 grid which comes out to 16k by 16k. I need to generate a 4x attributes map (essentially a mask image) but idk what size to make my textures. I assume that Arma works by placing the image down and by whatever size is deterimened by the color of the mask, other textures are blended over it (but they are not rescaled). I have not the slightest clue as to how to get textures to work optimally (from arma III) into L3DT.

I wouldn't use the 8096 heigtmap. There's issues with that size. I don't think any settings work to produce valid sat/mask pngs to export. I would stick to using a max heightmap of 4096 x whatever cell size you want.