Sign in to follow this  
scarecrow631

Steam workshop, mod collections and dedi servers

Hi guys,

I admin a smallish server for a co-op team and we are looking to make the switch to steam workshop for our mods. So I decided to upload our mod package, and now any users trying to connect to our server cant (using the Steam workshop file)

Am I right to assume its because the clients are sending @rbo_mods while the server is looking for @agm_rbo;@TFAR etc? If this is the case, how can I fix this server side?

(mods, im crappy as picking a forum to post in, so feel free to move this if its the wrong area)

Your users can't what - join?

Providing a link to your collection might help.

PS: You have to get permission from each author to upload their work to steam workshop.

This is what happens when I get no sleep, my words dont work.

Yes, the user tries to connect, and gets refused connection. Collection can be found here

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

from what I have seen, the PBO's that have been pulled out of the folders and dumped into a 'addons' folder inside the download, sounds like I might have my fix :)

Edit again: I am not claiming rights to anything in the pack, im just adding them all into one file for the private use of my group, if a mod creator has an issue with that, ill take their mod out. As far I could see, repacking mods for private usage wasn't against the rules.

Think kju is pointing out that uploading content to Steam Workshop gives Valve rights to use the content / make derivative works (assuming you had rights in the first place).

So its prob worth checking first with authors to get permission first.

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

You grant Valve and its affiliates the worldwide, non-exclusive, right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, transcode, translate, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and publicly perform, your User Generated Content, and derivative works of your User Generated Content, in connection with the operation and promotion of the Steam site.

Also you could read http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148879-ARMA-III-amp-Steam-WORKSHOP/page11

Thread is abit old and long but it covers the issue.

--------

Some alternatives to using Steam workshop are ArmAA3Sync or PlayWithSix

This is what happens when I get no sleep, my words dont work.

Yes, the user tries to connect, and gets refused connection. Collection can be found here

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

from what I have seen, the PBO's that have been pulled out of the folders and dumped into a 'addons' folder inside the download, sounds like I might have my fix :)

Edit again: I am not claiming rights to anything in the pack, im just adding them all into one file for the private use of my group, if a mod creator has an issue with that, ill take their mod out. As far I could see, repacking mods for private usage wasn't against the rules.

As per Steam EULA (point 6A and D), you grant Valve IP rights on each upload. Simply put, unless you are owner of the uploaded content, you can't do it.

Of course, collections are different, because they simply link to content that was already uploaded. That is what a pack is on steam

yeah,. this is my bad, some helpful people on reddit pointed out my error, ill go back to smashing my face against a wall getting a3sync working :)

Edit: I have pulled the pack in question.